walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Softshell Trousers

Softshell Trousers

Postby IAAitken » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:28 pm

After three years of talking, finally took first step to hill walking having signed up for a Ben Nevis charity walk. Looking into starting gear as don't think the Asda walking trousers I use casually would hold up to much.

Torn between a few closely priced options and looking for advice:

Regatta Fenton Trousers.
Warm-backed Softshell fabric with water repellent finish.
Read somewhere they were something like 90% polyester.

Graghoppers C65 Trousers
65% polyester, 35% cotton. Splash-proof only

Craghoppers Classic Kiwi Trousers
65% polyester, 35% cotton. This time water repellent and 8pockets!
IAAitken
Hill Bagger

Munros:4   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Softshell Trousers

Postby Mal Grey » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:36 am

The first Fenton is a softshell trouser, the others are standard walking trousers so will be thinner, so you're not comparing like for like.

Softshell trousers will normally be a thicker fabric, usually stretch, that is very wind resistant and mildly water resistant. The others are a simple thin layer of polycotton, which will be comfortable and quick drying.

If its summer you're going, softshell trousers will be too warm more often than not, though might be fine on the top of the Ben. In winter they'd be a boon.

The most important thing, though, is which fit you best. For some reason, Craghoppers cut doesn't fit me, I can't lift my legs freely in them, and that's unusual for me as I'm a fairly average size with skinny legs.

My own favourite walking trousers and espcially softshell trousers, are from Decathlon, though the latter are a bit more than these (£40ish). I pretty much live in them for any outdoor activity until about May, when I switch to thin trousers or shorts.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby abbruce » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:52 am

Debenhams have at least 25% of all Crag Hoppers stuff at the moment, including trousers.

I have an old pair that are alright.

As Mal says, the fit is the most important thing.

Good luck with the walk
abbruce
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:23
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:68   

Postby rockhopper » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:19 pm

I use Craghoppers Kiwi Pro Stretch year round - like Kiwi but the material used is stretchy. If very cold, I just wear tights/thermals under the trousers or waterproof overtrousers. They might be called Kiwi Pro Action now. Think they're normally about £50 but are frequently available for about half that (just found them at around half price via a quick google and even craghoppers site at the moment has 30% off) - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby IAAitken » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:37 pm

Thanks all, did wonder about softshell being warm backed. Not the warmest in Scotland but imagine heat would soon build up.

Went for a look round shops today to see difference in fabrics. In Aberdeen tomorrow for work so will head for Debenhams to try some!
IAAitken
Hill Bagger

Munros:4   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:2   

Postby CyberianK » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:34 am

Mal Grey wrote:My own favourite walking trousers and espcially softshell trousers, are from Decathlon, though the latter are a bit more than these (£40ish). I pretty much live in them for any outdoor activity until about May, when I switch to thin trousers or shorts.

I have one of these stores very near me and use them for much of my gear (except where I already have better options). Could you maybe tell the model of walking trousers you mean that you had good experience with? Or maybe you have a photo?
CyberianK
Scrambler

Postby Mal Grey » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:19 pm

CyberianK wrote:
Mal Grey wrote:My own favourite walking trousers and espcially softshell trousers, are from Decathlon, though the latter are a bit more than these (£40ish). I pretty much live in them for any outdoor activity until about May, when I switch to thin trousers or shorts.

I have one of these stores very near me and use them for much of my gear (except where I already have better options). Could you maybe tell the model of walking trousers you mean that you had good experience with? Or maybe you have a photo?

Struggling to find them on the website now, as usual they've all changed.

They were one of the many items under the Quechua Forclaz name. I think they've now moved to the Simond brand name, which they use for their higher end technical gear. The nearest I can see online are the Mountaineering pants, but my pair didn't have the detachable braces or built in gaiters.

I also have a light, tough stretchy pair that look like the Alpi Men's light ones now. They're also excellent, but have no thin soft fleecy finish inside, which the softshell ones have.

Fit can be a bit hit or miss with Decathlon, so I'd definitely try them on. I nearly always have to go up a size.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk