walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Hilleberg Akto 1 man tent

Hilleberg Akto 1 man tent

Postby nick70 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 2:05 pm

Hi all

I wonder if anyone has the above tent and can share their experience of it with me.

I have just recently returned from doing WHW and my whole experience was ruined due to the tent I was using.

I was using Force10 Xenon UL2, without going into too many details about it, my thoughts are that a Wendy House would have been of more use.

I have contacted Go Outdoors about this and I am due to return it at week end and they will send it back to Vango (manufacturer). I am hoping that I will get a full refund and get my cash back, £200.

I am looking at buying the above tent, but I am somewhat out off by its price, also reading some negative reviews on YouTube about condensation.

I must admit that I did see someone with the tent whilst at Kinlochleven and I asked a few questions of him, which he was kind enough to answer, but I must admit to how well impressed it looked. It looked like the materials were excellent and also very roomy, which is a plus for me as I'm 6ft 2.

As I said, any feedback anyone can give will be much appreciated.

Nick
nick70

Re: Hilleberg Akto 1 man tent

Postby Robinho08 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:23 pm

Condensation is an issue in most small tents to be honest, but the Akto was my first backpacking tent and I loved it. My only gripe with the Akto was it being a bit flappy in light winds. It's not the lightest of tents compared to some others, but Hilleberg tents are fantastic and well made, will last a lifetime if you look after it. Good strong secondhand market they always come up and sell well. 8)
Robinho08
Walker

Munros:54   Corbetts:70
Fionas:9   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:1

Postby kaye.cantlay » Tue Apr 10, 2018 7:41 pm

I have an Akto - and I do love the quality, and the incredible ease of putting it up - it takes only minutes and is utterly foolproof.
I trust it implicitly!
I've camped in reasonable winds (noisy but reliable), snow, rain, etc
It is roomy for a small lady (5'4'') for sure - but not sure if I'd be so happy if I was a tall guy - I touch the ceiling sitting inside at the high middle point.
It has great storage in the porch for a sizeable rucksack, boots etc.
The downsides for me are that it is heavy compared to other one man tents on the market - 1.7kg - but I have no idea how the lighter alternatives compare in terms of resilience, simplicity etc...
And - the condensation is terrible! There are vents at each end, but in summer (May-Sept) I'd worry about swarms of midges getting in so I keep them shut and the inner tent is reliably soaking by morning, and this is sometimes a layer of ice in winter!
kaye.cantlay
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:158   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:31   Hewitts:205
Wainwrights:214   Islands:60

Postby mynthdd2 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:19 pm

I have used an Akto for ever so long and no problems at all - but be sure to storm lash it in high winds..... :(
mynthdd2
Munro compleatist

Islands:34

Postby Mal Grey » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:27 pm

Any of the small, low, one-person tents are going to either struggle with condensation, or be rather drafty. When the outer is so close to the heat producing occupant, the temperature differential between inside and outside is going to be high, and in our moist climate, condensation likely.

Hilleberg's quality is second to none though, and the same occurs in tents like Terra Nova Lasers and their Wild Country equivalents.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby nick70 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:51 am

Thanks all for getting back to me. I do appreciate all feedback. Still undecided what to go for.

Mal Grey, I had a look at your website and subscribed, what a fantastic website :clap: :clap:
nick70

Postby Scottk » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:46 pm

You need to get inside one on a mat to see how it feels. I have a Nordisk Telemark 1 which is fine but probably too tight for you. I also have a Tarptent Scarp 1 which is huge inside. For longer trips or bad weather I would take the Scarp. For you the Scarp would probably be better and pretty light. Fits 2 people at a push. They aren't that easy to find in UK though.
Scottk
Scrambler

Munros:31   

Postby Cricket » Mon May 21, 2018 3:11 pm

I've got the Terra Nova Laser Competition 1 which is a 3 season tent and weighs c.1kg. I've used it in storms and very humid areas and condensation hasn't been a problem (which isn't to say there isnt any!). Downside is that it is quite small inside (e.g. can't sit up properly in it) but I'm not too fussed as don't go hiking to sit in my tent! Its had about 100 days of use and is still fine with the only issue being a slight hole which hasn't affected its waterproofing.
Cricket
Hill Bagger

Munros:114   Corbetts:10
Fionas:9   Donalds:20
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:130
Wainwrights:110   

Postby nickdv1987 » Mon May 21, 2018 6:53 pm

I also looked around for the 1 person tent. It looks like most of them got reviews with condensation problems too :(
nickdv1987

Postby Hola » Fri May 25, 2018 8:14 pm

Tarptent Scarp 1.
Massive inner.
Weighs 1.3kg...ish.
Bomber.
Cheaper than an Akto also
Hola
Scrambler

Postby nick70 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:24 pm

Hi everyone

Thank you for all the replies. Thought I should let you know what I settled on. I finally made my way in to Tiso (Glasgow), big thank you to the staff there who were extremely helpful, patient and informative with me over my deliberations.
The Nordisk Haaland was also a tent that had caught my eye. A 2 man tent, extremely spacious and also extremely lightweight. The week end I was there they had a 20% reduction on this tent.
Unfortunately the Akto was not in the sale. However Tauntons were offering the Akto at 20% off, I mentioned this to the staff and they agreed to match price.
So long story short, I ended up coming out with the 2 of them. The Haaland will do for myself and the Mrs, we have a camping trip coming up soon in Pitlochry. The Akto will do me for my solo long distance walks. I have used the Akto a couple of time so far and I must admit to being really, really happy with it.

Thanks again everyone for all your contributions and input. It is very much appreciated.

Nick
nick70

Postby tonyjhc » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:42 pm

37120724_10155253379506735_4122693245769613312_o.jpg
Camped under Suilven june 2016
I upgraded to the 4 season Hilleberg Akto several years ago for backpacking and wild camping /fly fishing trips to a very remote area of NW Scotland where what passes for summer feels more like autumn or even winter.
Wild and wet weather is not uncommon and the 4 season Akto handles anything that mother nature has thrown at it including th tail end of a hurricane.
There are less expensive alternatives but the build quality and performance make this the best 1 person backpacking tent in the world for this sort of climate.
Well worth the money
tonyjhc

Postby crfishwick » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:52 pm

tonyjhc wrote:
37120724_10155253379506735_4122693245769613312_o.jpg
I upgraded to the 4 season Hilleberg Akto several years ago for backpacking and wild camping /fly fishing trips to a very remote area of NW Scotland where what passes for summer feels more like autumn or even winter.
Wild and wet weather is not uncommon and the 4 season Akto handles anything that mother nature has thrown at it including th tail end of a hurricane.
There are less expensive alternatives but the build quality and performance make this the best 1 person backpacking tent in the world for this sort of climate.
Well worth the money

At £554 it should be bombproof. :lol: :lol: Out of my financial reach till Wednesday when I win the Lottery. :wink:
crfishwick

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk