walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

What to pack for Bothy Trip

What to pack for Bothy Trip

Postby bethanyellen » Tue Apr 24, 2018 10:01 pm

Hello Folks

I am heading up to stay at Shenavall Bothy in May. We are planning on staying 4 nights in total. We are going to be doing some exploring of the area, lots of walking and also a rest day in the middle. We also are thinking of driveing up to climb Suilven by Assynt.

I haven't been on a walking camping trip in quite a while and feel a little out of practice. I have done lots of walking a few years ago and completed my mountain leader training just to gain more experience in the mountains and with nav. It's been a while and I have done lots of little walks but not a big trip. I am really glad to be getting back into the mountains and out exploring.

Let me know if you have any ideas for what to bring. So far I think I might need to make a wee shopping list as well.

I am undecided if I should bring walking boots or just walking shoes as my shoes are much lighter and my boots are very heavy.

Also I am looking to purchase a camping stove any recommendations for what to get and what food to bring? I'm thinking things like filled pasta as that is very light.

Here is what I have so far:
Essential:
Large rucksack, smaller day bag
Sleeping bag, sleeping mat
Camping stove, food
map, map case, compass
water bottle
walking clothes for 3 days: 3 tops 2 bottoms
undaware, socks x4
pjamas?
fleece, down jacket, waterproof jacket, waterproofing for jacket/shoes, suncream
hat, gloves, snood
toothbrush
Boots/walking shoes
blisterplasters
first aid kit?

Extra if I have space:
hip flask
cards
book
phone portable charger
bethanyellen
Munro compleatist

Munros:11   

Re: What to pack for Bothy Trip

Postby Mal Grey » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:47 am

Hey. Should be a great trip.

Can't see torch on the list. Also insect repellent!

First aid kit? Absolutely, you should always have one with you when walking, though it needn't be anything other than basics unless you're medically trained to use it on yourself!

Fuel for the bothy fire? Hurts carrying it in, but you can be very glad of it! 4 nights worth would kill me though...

I should point out that the MBA Bothy Code requests that stays are kept "short", and I believe two nights was the general opinion on what is reasonable. In my experience, this isn't a hard and fast "rule" and if nobody else is about no problem, but you should give others priority after your first couple of nights. Also, I'm assuming "we" is just a couple/three of you; a big group staying for four nights would be inappropriate and should be prepared to camp nearby. This is one of the busiest bothies and you may find it very crowded. I'd be carrying a tent as a back up anyway.
https://www.mountainbothies.org.uk/bothies/bothy-code/

The Hip Flask should be in the top part of the list ;)

Have fun!
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby jmarkb » Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:39 am

I would cut down on your spare clothes: one spare set of everything is plenty, and definitely no pyjamas!
I wouldn't bother taking a day sack either.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Robinho08 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:36 pm

You're pretty much there. I'd cut back on spare clothing too. One clean pair of socks, underwear and a base layer. Remember some fuel to burn and candles. Here's a wee video I made a while back.

Robinho08
Walker

Munros:54   Corbetts:70
Fionas:9   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:1

Postby walkingpoles » Wed Apr 25, 2018 2:21 pm

As the others have said.

Bring your own toilet paper and something to burn it.

I like hand desinfectant. A candle helps with the cosyness. And my ankles wouldn't forgive me to engage the rough terrain out there without any support.
walkingpoles
Stravaiging

Munros:218   Corbetts:6
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:8

Postby Fiona Reid » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:19 pm

Don't bother with all that spare clothing, just take some dry stuff to sleep in plus a change of underpants or maybe 2 pairs - you can always wash stuff in the river. Keep some dry socks for the tent/bothy along with crocs or similar for the river crossings and wearing in the bothy etc. That way you can have one pair of socks for walking in and another dry pair for wearing in the evenings.

Along with the first aid kit then a bothy bag might be a good plan as you're heading into some fairly remote terrain. Tick tweezers are also a good idea. I acquired 25 ticks on my first trip to Shenavall!

If you have an old school mobile (not a smartphone) then take that (turned off) and your battery will last just fine without needing a powerpack to re-charge etc. A smartphone battery is unlikely to last 4 days without charge unless you keep it in airplane mode (or turned off) and don't use it for navigation etc.

Shenavall can be very busy with folks doing the Fisherfield Munros etc. You may want to take a tent as backup as should the bothy be mobbed then it's a very long walk back out to the road. Mal made a good point re. staying in bothies for longer periods, it's generally discouraged.
Fiona Reid
Mountaineer

Munros:121   Corbetts:35
Fionas:219   Donalds:86
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:44
Wainwrights:61   

Postby davekeiller » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:32 pm

I tend to take bare minimum of clothing (what I'm wearing plus one dry pair of trousers and one spare baselayer, socks and underwear for each day and a spare warm layer). In my view pyjamas are unnecessary as you can sleep in underwear (possibly+ baselayer).
Personally I prefer to take a tent (bothy might be full, camping on soft ground outside might be more comfortable than a wooden floor or bed).
As for food, dehydrated is good as it doesn't take up much room and is generally pretty light. For lunches, I like either oatcakes or wraps as a bread substitute and take something spreadable (processed cheese for example).
I also wouldn't take a day bag to a bothy. If you're staying at the bothy and doing a couple of day walks, then just use your big rucksack and tighten all the straps.
If by waterproofing for jacket/shoes you mean nikwax or similar, I wouldn't bother with that either. Your boots should be waterproof enough not to need re-proofing every day, and if your feet do get wet, you probably won't be able to dry the insides of your boots sufficiently for it to make a difference.
And I'd definitely wear boots for that sort of trip - you'll appreciate the ankle support and grip over rough terrain and they'll probably keep your feet drier too.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby Giant Stoneater » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:11 pm

One set of clothes to walk in,and one set for night.
Ditch all the pairs of socks.
One rucksac.
No jammies.
Ditch a fleece or down jacket or both and take a extra thinner layer to put over jumper/baselayer you also have a waterproof jacket to keep you warm.
No waterproofing.
Forget all the extras.
I would go with boots.

Pack the rucksac the way you want it then repack with the recommendations and see if you notice the difference in weight.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby Caberfeidh » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:24 am

Toothbrush.
Bottle of whisky.
Ready-cooked chicken.
Packets of paper hankies.
1 spare pair of socks.
Spirit of Adventure.

Loch Gary#2.jpg
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Alteknacker » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:09 am

I wouldn't be without a headtorch - modern ones last forever. Also some means of digging a hole (not sure if there's a loo at Sheneval). Lightweight latrine trowels weigh next to nothing.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby prog99 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 2:06 pm

Assuming you did the full mountain leader training you will have done an overnight camp. What did you take for that?

Shenevall does indeed have a full functioning air conditioned loo accessed via the following implement -
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby willsdad » Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:58 pm

Tent!! Shenevall is one of the more popular bothys. There's no guarantee you're going to get a space. Even if you've gone off for the day then come back. I've been there in May when the bothy was full and there was 4 tents outside.
willsdad
Backpacker

Munros:13   Corbetts:1
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:6

Postby bethanyellen » Mon May 14, 2018 7:01 pm

Hi Everyone,

Thanks so much for all the tips and suggestions.

I was also wondering if it is okay to bring some coal for a fire in the bothy for one night?

We have finalized plans a little bit more. We are going to stop off at a few bothies and so I don't think we will be staying longer than one night. We also have a backup tent 2 man tent there are 3 of us but I might also bring a bivie bag just incase.

When I last did wild camping I was able to borrow a tent and kit off people. I have been sourcing things for myself so that is why I was asking for suggestions.

Thanks, I think the spare clothes is a bit overboard and I wont have space anyway.

I now have packed:
1 medium ruksack, sleepingbag,liner, sleeping mat,
gas stove, small pan, water bottle, spork, mug
tissues, lighter
toothbrush
basic first aid kit, blister plasters

1 set clothes trousers and breathable top, fleece
waterproof jacket, hat, gloves
map &compass, torch

I really hate using insect repellent so I don't bother with it - I usually just keep moving

Thanks I will bring some tweezers in case of a tick!
Thanks for mentioning the trowel! this is something I need to get as I borrowed this the last few times I camped.

I terms of food I was thinking of dry foods as that is the lightest such as oats, couscous, and pitta.

In terms of socks do you really think 2 pairs of socks is okay for 5 days? I really don't have much space but I don't want to get athletes foot I have had this in the past and it's horrible.
bethanyellen
Munro compleatist

Munros:11   

Postby Mal Grey » Mon May 14, 2018 7:09 pm

bethanyellen wrote:I was also wondering if it is okay to bring some coal for a fire in the bothy for one night?

In terms of socks do you really think 2 pairs of socks is okay for 5 days? I really don't have much space but I don't want to get athletes foot I have had this in the past and it's horrible.

On these two points:

1. Coal. Hell, yeah! I tend to bothy in winter, and then we carry about 7kg of coal per night (between 3 of us). 5kg OK, but a bit disappointing! Of course, more is good...but its flippin' heavy to carry in.

2. Socks. I always consider 3 pairs to be the minimum for an extended trip. One pair is sacrosanct for evening/night wear, the other two alternate depending on how wet. Actually, as I also use thin liners under my main socks, its 3 sets, not 3 pairs for me. To me, cold and wet feet for an extended period are a horror to be avoided at all costs, and seem to be a major factor when folk abandon long trips.
Mal Grey
Wanderer

Munros:113   Corbetts:23
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:116
Wainwrights:71   Islands:6
Location: Surrey, probably in a canoe! www.wildernessisastateofmind.co.uk

Postby mrssanta » Mon May 14, 2018 9:36 pm

I always take a small microfibre cloth. Just a cheap 99p one nothing fancy. it's amazing how much water it can suck out of things including wet socks. I then keep my socks on in bed and they are dry by morning. My grandpa told me this is what they did in the Army (2ww mind, they might not now) and it has always worked for me.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk