walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

To Páramo or not to Páramo?

Re: To Páramo or not to Páramo?

Postby Ben Nachie » Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:51 pm

Ben Nachie wrote:
nathan79 wrote:Wool tee plus Paramo fleece then Paramo windproof on top sounds like my idea of a sweaty nightmare.
I've got a couple of Paramo Fueras (a smock and a jacket) and they're far less breathable than my other options. I wouldn't dream of combining them with a fleece outside of deepest winter. Despite the sweatiness, I like the fabric. It's tough and it wears well.

Take a look at a combination of a polartec Alpha layer and a windproof and see if that fits the bill for you

Interesting... But pricey!

Sort of like a thin Buffalo. What (if anything) do you wear under it?

After seeing it in the flesh I went for the Rab Alpha Direct jacket in the end. Picked it up for £126, so thanks for the tip!

Now to see how it performs...
Ben Nachie
Munro compleatist

Re: To Páramo or not to Páramo?

Postby Ben Nachie » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:53 pm

Well, just back from trying it out on the Tarmachan ridge.

Conditions- persistent light to medium rain, some snow flurries, drying somewhat towards the end of the walk. Temperature in the mid to low single figures. Moderate to strong blustery winds.

Kit- I wore the jacket over a merino tee. Nothing worn over the jacket, kept it on all day.

Result- I stayed dry and warm all day. I felt very slightly damp at times, more specifically steamy under the arms and a bit of a damp back where my rucksack contacted my body. At no point did my tee shirt get visibly wet. The jacket never appeared to wet out. It also dried very quickly during the periods when the rain stopped.

Verdict- Very impressed! The jacket works on the same principles as Buffalo or Montane clothing, but because it is lighter it is suited to a warmer range of temperatures.
Ben Nachie
Munro compleatist

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk