walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

GPS Device

GPS Device

Postby Maghoo » Wed May 02, 2018 10:26 am

Looking for some recommendations and advice around GPS devices.
I'm considering purchasing a GPS tracker and currently looking into what is available its a minefileld out there so much info to research and I'm not very techy and dont want to get it wrong because they can be very expensive, I'm looking to spend around £200-300 :?
Do you get good maps with them or is it always best to purchase extra maps?

Thanks in advance :)
Maghoo
Mountaineer

Re: GPS Device

Postby StevieC » Wed May 02, 2018 3:25 pm

Garmin GPSMAP 64s with GB Discoverer bundle sounds like what you need. Comes with OS 1:50000 map of UK on a tiny sd card - if you go for it be very careful with the card because it's very easy to lose especially when changing batteries as I found out to my cost!

Go Outdoors are doing it for £299 just now so just in your price range...
StevieC
Hill Bagger

Munros:75   Corbetts:6
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:10   
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby scoob999 » Wed May 02, 2018 10:41 pm

Aye I second Stevie's recommendation for the 64s Bombproof and easy to use, just don't leave it on the roof of the car and drive off :shock: :( :lol:
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

Postby Giant Stoneater » Thu May 03, 2018 4:12 pm

StevieC wrote:Garmin GPSMAP 64s with GB Discoverer bundle sounds like what you need. Comes with OS 1:50000 map of UK on a tiny sd card - if you go for it be very careful with the card because it's very easy to lose especially when changing batteries as I found out to my cost!

Go Outdoors are doing it for £299 just now so just in your price range...

Just stick a bit of tape over it,and renew it now and again to stop it rotting.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby Maghoo » Thu May 03, 2018 4:58 pm

Thanks guys.
Think this might just be the one :clap:
Maghoo
Mountaineer

Postby alexberry » Fri May 11, 2018 9:55 am

I would also add my recommendation to the GPSMAP 64s with GB Discovery... I'vehad mine for maybe 3 years now, and it has been very reliable, and helped me out of a couple of navigational challenges over that time.

If you do get one, a few tips I've got from my experience:

- Although it is waterproof, water does tend to get into the USB port if exposed to prolonged wet conditions. It doesn't seem to matter in the end, but if it's not entirely dry when you connect it up to your PC to sync it post perambulation, then it can fail to connect properly to the PC. When mine's wet, I wedge the rubber USB port cover open with a pen and leave it for 24 hours to dry out completely.

- Battery life is excellent and will get you through a day's walk on a set of AA batteries with all the tracking etc enabled. But to maximise it, switch off the WAAS thingy - it really doesn't help accuracy but costs power. And invest in really good rechargeable batteries. I managed to find some 2400mAh Energizer rechargeables (better than the 2300mAh that are more widely available) with a pro recharger and these have been consistently good at delivering a day-long charge. Beyond that, lithium non-rechargeables are good too, and light-weight, but tend to be affected by cold conditions. Whichever batteries you use, remember to select the corresponding type in the unit's settings.

- Finally, as with any GPS device, it really comes into its own when you invest time into learning how to set up and follow pre-planned routes. I think this is the best bit about planning a hike through the mountains - plotting out the route on the PC beforehand and getting it loaded onto the GPS. I use a combination of Routebuddy - with Harvey maps - and then Garmin's own Basecamp software to tweak and load things onto the GPS.
alexberry
Munro compleatist

Munros:76   

Postby ColinBrough » Mon May 14, 2018 9:01 pm

Following this thread with interest. I currently use the OS Maps app on my phone with 1:25k mapping - downloaded with codes from the paper maps that are in the rucksack! But looking for something a bit more rugged, and not needing recharged from a battery pack half way up the hill...

How much difference does 1:50k vs 1:25k make?

Would any GPS devices allow me to "keep" the investment I've made in OS mapping by downloading those I've unlocked to the device?
ColinBrough
Mountaineer

Munros:41   Corbetts:8
Fionas:5   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:9   
Islands:4

Postby jolly47roger » Tue May 15, 2018 11:51 am

The general rule with all maps you pay for (even indirectly like OS Maps) is that they are tied to one application - so you can't (for example) use Memory-map maps on Viewranger nor OS Maps on Garmin. The particular issue with Garmin is that the maps are usually vector maps (lines, points, areas) whereas most other things are raster maps (images).

If you can manage without field boundaries and without being able to calculate routes, there is a Garmin map available made from OS Open Data that gives as much - sometimes more (e.g road names) - detail as 1:25,000.
jolly47roger
Mountaineer

Postby spiderwebb » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:15 pm

Also recommend the Garmin GPS 64, excellent and so far bombproof, can be used with mittens on too, if you're out in the winter months. I'm still using mine with the tried and tested features that carry over from any GPS, but there are a lot of other features, if only I could remember them all :lol: I did get the case but found that the inside of the case can get steamed up making reading it impossible, so now its on the clip attached to the rucksack, unless its tipping down, and then its in a pocket, although it is waterproof, expensive kit isn't worth taking the chance. In addition I also fitted a screen protector.

I bought a couple of sets of Panasonic Eneloop Pro batteries and have found them to be excellent, together with an intelligent charger :D

I did nearly lose my GPS just after I bought it, but thankfully the road out from the days walk did not warrant much speed and after a while I decided to check out the noise on my roof, and to much relief the GPS was still there. I couldn't say the same for the old Etrex which met its demise leaving Glen Dessary, after only 100 yards out the car park I remembered I'd left it on top, but never found it despite searching both sides of the road and the flat car park, I guess it must have bounced :( Seems to be a habit of mine :lol:
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby Stecky » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:42 pm

Agree with all on the G 62s, try to do a price match with Go Outdoors and get another 10% off. I had a 650 but gloves, rain and sun glare were a nuisance. As someone else said get a screen protector which cost pennies on Amazon.
Stecky
Munro compleatist

Postby WesterRossWanderer » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:38 pm

I too use a Garmin 64 GPS and would only reconfirmed one piece of excellent advice - get yourself some screen protectors at the same time as your expensive purchace. The thicker, slightly dearer ones, are by far the best protection against knocks and bumps. I've changed mine twice in a year as there was a chip out the first time and a nasty groove the second. It would have been a real bummer if it had been the device screen!
WesterRossWanderer
Munro compleatist

Postby Khal » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:21 pm

I use both view ranger and Oregon 700. I find the ViewRanger easier to use, large screen and easy to change routes as needed and pan area. But downside as you mention it drains the battery. I always carry a 10000mAh power pack with me, not to heavy or bulky. The Oregon 700 is very similar to a mobile touch screen etc. The screen is smaller but doesn’t effect it usefulness, bigger than most other gps screens and better quality. The battery last roughly 2 days depending on usage. Ive used it in all conditions and it hasn’t had any water penetration yet. You could always use a small amount of Vaseline around the cover. Very intuitive to use. I bought garmin discoverer premium maps 1:25 1:50k on eBay for £35 , which is excellent as would cost over £300 new. There is always someone selling these on eBay as there is a newer version out. But no problems with the card. The Oregon 700 is small and not heavy, you can attach the Carabiner it comes with to your backpack. All in a very good device, not as robust as the 64s (but still rugged) but so much easier to use.
Khal
Scrambler

Postby Will N To » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:46 pm

Lithium or silicone grease really helps. I've found that it helps any seal, and if it gets into the port, it doesn't usually interfere with electrical contact because it's just forced out of the way. (Electricians have a grease for contacts that keeps out the oxygen, dust and moisture but won't disrupt the mechanical contact.)
Belt AND suspenders: duct tape or better over the door. I've done this for years with my little Kodak Sport camera that I hold under the water (sea) to record the sea lions, dolphins and jellies. And a bit of alcohol, mixes with the water, lowering it's vapor pressure speeding up drying (I think I said that right). I've used hand sanitizer, but it's got thickeners and scent in it which'll be left behind as residue. And it makes the orange juice taste funny...

alexberry wrote:I would also add my recommendation to the GPSMAP 64s with GB Discovery... I'vehad mine for maybe 3 years now, and it has been very reliable, and helped me out of a couple of navigational challenges over that time.

If you do get one, a few tips I've got from my experience:

- Although it is waterproof, water does tend to get into the USB port if exposed to prolonged wet conditions. It doesn't seem to matter in the end, but if it's not entirely dry when you connect it up to your PC to sync it post perambulation, then it can fail to connect properly to the PC. When mine's wet, I wedge the rubber USB port cover open with a pen and leave it for 24 hours to dry out completely.

- Battery life is excellent and will get you through a day's walk on a set of AA batteries with all the tracking etc enabled. But to maximise it, switch off the WAAS thingy - it really doesn't help accuracy but costs power. And invest in really good rechargeable batteries. I managed to find some 2400mAh Energizer rechargeables (better than the 2300mAh that are more widely available) with a pro recharger and these have been consistently good at delivering a day-long charge. Beyond that, lithium non-rechargeables are good too, and light-weight, but tend to be affected by cold conditions. Whichever batteries you use, remember to select the corresponding type in the unit's settings.

- Finally, as with any GPS device, it really comes into its own when you invest time into learning how to set up and follow pre-planned routes. I think this is the best bit about planning a hike through the mountains - plotting out the route on the PC beforehand and getting it loaded onto the GPS. I use a combination of Routebuddy - with Harvey maps - and then Garmin's own Basecamp software to tweak and load things onto the GPS.
Will N To
Scrambler

Postby simon-b » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:38 pm

I wouldn't bother buying a 1:25000 map card. Use the 1:50000 on your GPS, and use the paper maps for 1:25000 detail.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk