walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Review of Engo blister prevention patches.

Review of Engo blister prevention patches.

Postby Jon and Jen » Wed May 09, 2018 2:54 am

I've had issues with blisters on my heels anytime I went on a longer walk, especially on my right heel due to my right foot being smaller. Usually at about the 10 mile mark. I've tried all the usual stuff to no avail. After recent extreme blisters on both heels and both balls of my feet I did some research and came across a study into blisters that mentioned some promising studies into PTFE friction prevention. I dug a bit deeper and came across these on Amazon. The reviews were promising so I bought two pairs of the rectangles as they would cover a bigger area than the specific heel ones. I paid £25.84 for the two pairs.

ImageIMAG0111 by jon jen, on Flickr

I stuck one each on the insoles of my boots.

ImageIMAG0114 by jon jen, on Flickr

One each at the back of my boots.

ImageIMAG0115 by jon jen, on Flickr

Next day I walked 8 miles with a heavy pack and then the day after I covered 28 miles including going over Mount Keen once and the Mounth road back. I had no sign of any blister, not even a hot spot. Much better than I expected. I have since climbed Schiehallion too in complete comfort.

They work by reducing friction and stopping heat building up. I was worried my foot would slip around inside my boot but they don't. I like the fact that they go on the boot, not the foot, so sweat has no effect on them and they don't get glue all over my good socks. Like Zinc tape. They have changed my walking so much, I'm no longer stepping tentatively and I am confident to cover longer distances.

Some people complain about the price in the reviews but I would have given an arm to take the pain away on the walk back from Bynack Lodge with 4 big blisters and 15 miles to go. £25.84 is a small price to pay for comfort imo.

Yet to see how long they will last and the heel stickers are coming away a bit at the top due to me forgetting they were there when putting my boots on. A shoehorn would have prevented this. (or a bit more care)

All in all, I'm over the moon with these. I wouldn't usually be bothered writing a review about things but these have been a great find for my feet and I thought it only fair to give fellow sufferers a heads up.
Jon and Jen
Mountain Walker

Munros:37   Corbetts:7
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:7   

Re: Review of Engo blister prevention patches.

Postby nickdv1987 » Wed May 09, 2018 12:20 pm

This is really helpful. :clap: I always get blisters and I think the problem is my feet sweat a lot. Looks like these ones really worth a try.
nickdv1987

Postby Jon and Jen » Sun May 20, 2018 8:54 pm

Just an update.

Patches are still stuck in place. Since done about 70 miles and 3 munros without even a hot patch. No sign of them wearing out yet, apparently they eventually wear through the blue to a white patch and it's time to replace. I can't believe the difference these have made to my walks. Can't recommend them enough. :clap:
Jon and Jen
Mountain Walker

Postby Jon and Jen » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:02 pm

Another update.

5 more munros, a sub 2000 and another hundred odd miles under the belt including 30 miles and two munros with boots absolutely soaked through. The heel patches have come loose at the top corners a bit but still going strong and still no sign of any blisters or wearing out.
Jon and Jen
Mountain Walker

Postby Giant Stoneater » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:10 pm

Out of curiosity what kind of socks do you use,I suffered from blisters early on in my hillwalking years and went to the expense of buying winter socks with all the padding and that cured my blister problem,might be a bit.over the top for summer walking but it's a small price to pay.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk