walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Good sleeping pad?

Good sleeping pad?

Postby nickdv1987 » Tue May 15, 2018 4:35 pm

I have a sleeping pad (self-inflating one) but I rarely use it cause I always slip off and it makes noise when I sleep in a sleeping bag on top of it. But I started to wake up with back pain after a night in the tent without sleeping pad, so I guess I need to find a good one.

I looked around and found the cellular surface design like this one https://professionalcamping.com/outdoorsmanlab-ultralight-sleeping-pad-test-trek/ which should help with some of my problems. Has anyone tried this or something similar? I wonder if something like it is comfortable and suitable for backpacking.

Any input and further suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks so much
nickdv1987

Re: Good sleeping pad?

Postby mrssanta » Tue May 15, 2018 4:56 pm

Are you overinflating your mat? Just a thought.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby snoop » Tue May 15, 2018 5:01 pm

I bought an Alpkit Numo last year and it is great. It takes a bit of puff to inflate but is really comfy. I was previously using a sea to summit mat which was over twice the price but was knowhere near as comfy and found that it gave me sore hips.

My sleeping bag is a Thermarest Questar which has nifty straps that allow you to strap it to your mat keeping you on the mat and allowing plenty of rolling about in your sleep it is perfect if you move around a lot or sleep on your side.
snoop
Munro compleatist

Postby walkingpoles » Tue May 15, 2018 5:02 pm

I've got one from exped with a similar design. I like it because it is extremely light. Comfy enough for me. You can't sit or kneel on it (you'll touch ground), but lying in all positions is fine (at 70kg weight). Changing sleeping position in your sleeping bag often involves waking up, though.

I recommend going to the big Tiso, where you can bring your sleeping bag along and test the mats.
walkingpoles
Stravaiging

Munros:218   Corbetts:6
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:8

Postby snoop » Tue May 15, 2018 5:02 pm

One other thumbs up for the Numo is that it doesn't sound like you are sleeping in or on a crisp poke like a lot of other mats! :clap:
snoop
Munro compleatist

Postby Tone Walsh » Tue May 15, 2018 5:12 pm

Hi, I guess I'm quite lucky in that I rarely have trouble sleeping. I'm 69 now and I've been camping since I was a small child. I camp for 2-5 weeks a year, generally lightweight camping, and I've been using a Thermarest for the last 15 years (now with a few patches). I agree that they can be noisy and slidy and I never worked out which way around it should be.

My wife bought me an Exped 5 years ago and I'd use nothing else now. They're not cheap but they deliver on every count. I've tried to think of a negative but I can only think of the occasional, hardly perceptible, gentle fairy fart as the air moves within. Because of its internal down insulation it allows you to trade down to a lighter bag. For me, they're bliss. Oh, the integral pump requires a certain knack.

There is a daft American test somewhere on't net, where they slide down a rocky track on one and complain that it isn't abrasion resistant
Tone Walsh
Munro compleatist

Postby nickdv1987 » Tue May 15, 2018 5:35 pm

walkingpoles wrote:I've got one from exped with a similar design. I like it because it is extremely light. Comfy enough for me. You can't sit or kneel on it (you'll touch ground), but lying in all positions is fine (at 70kg weight). Changing sleeping position in your sleeping bag often involves waking up, though.

I recommend going to the big Tiso, where you can bring your sleeping bag along and test the mats.

Is it this one? http://www.exped.com/usa/en/blog/syncellmat-5-compact-light-and-durable-and-amazingly-rapid-inflation

And yes, I think that I should just go to the shop and try them out. Thank you!
nickdv1987

Postby nickdv1987 » Tue May 15, 2018 5:42 pm

snoop wrote:I bought an Alpkit Numo last year and it is great. It takes a bit of puff to inflate but is really comfy. I was previously using a sea to summit mat which was over twice the price but was knowhere near as comfy and found that it gave me sore hips.

My sleeping bag is a Thermarest Questar which has nifty straps that allow you to strap it to your mat keeping you on the mat and allowing plenty of rolling about in your sleep it is perfect if you move around a lot or sleep on your side.

The Alpkit Numo looks great ! I'll check it out too. I also looked up your sleeping bag review and realised that it is probably just what I need. I'll put that in the list when I need to get the new sleeping bag. Thank you !
nickdv1987

Postby walkingpoles » Tue May 15, 2018 7:00 pm

Is it this one? http://www.exped.com/usa/en/blog/syncellmat-5-compact-light-and-durable-and-amazingly-rapid-inflation

And yes, I think that I should just go to the shop and try them out. Thank you!

Mine is older, not rectangular and certainly less comfy (though lighter I suppose. I got it for long distance hikes, so weight was priorised over comfort). The mesh looks similar. I am sure this is an extremely comfy mat.
walkingpoles
Stravaiging

Munros:218   Corbetts:6
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:8

Postby Giant Stoneater » Tue May 15, 2018 8:04 pm

Some silicone on mat can help with rolling off.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby nickdv1987 » Wed May 16, 2018 6:12 am

Giant Stoneater wrote:Some silicone on mat can help with rolling off.

Looked up just now. Some say silicone sometimes don't stick well to the pad's surface but I'll try it myself anyhow. Might work for me :) Thanks !
nickdv1987

Postby Robinho08 » Wed May 16, 2018 4:39 pm

I prefer the Alpkit Cloudbase to the Numo. Both comfortable though. But the Numo is a bit slidey. Ikea sell that anti slip stuff you put under your rug for £2 a roll. Cut what you need, weighs nothing.
Robinho08
Walker

Munros:54   Corbetts:70
Fionas:9   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:1

Postby rgallie » Fri May 18, 2018 3:53 pm

I use a Therm-a-rest NeoAir Xlite...It is NOT self inflating but I takes a couple min max to inflate or you can get a pump sack that can be used as a pump, carry bag and turn the mattress into a chair. It packs down to the size of a 500ml can (just a little fatter). I cant mind the packed weight but it is not too much as you would expect by the name. I have had a great sleep on it right through the night and I am usually a terrible sleeper when camping.

(edit)Love getting new gear, have just ordered the pump sack after writing this :D
rgallie
Munro compleatist

Munros:69   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:7   

Postby nickdv1987 » Mon May 21, 2018 6:39 pm

rgallie wrote:I use a Therm-a-rest NeoAir Xlite...It is NOT self inflating but I takes a couple min max to inflate or you can get a pump sack that can be used as a pump, carry bag and turn the mattress into a chair. It packs down to the size of a 500ml can (just a little fatter). I cant mind the packed weight but it is not too much as you would expect by the name. I have had a great sleep on it right through the night and I am usually a terrible sleeper when camping.

(edit)Love getting new gear, have just ordered the pump sack after writing this :D

Ah yes. I keep buying new stuff too. But always end up with stuff I don't need :?
nickdv1987

Postby nickdv1987 » Mon May 21, 2018 6:40 pm

Robinho08 wrote:I prefer the Alpkit Cloudbase to the Numo. Both comfortable though. But the Numo is a bit slidey. Ikea sell that anti slip stuff you put under your rug for £2 a roll. Cut what you need, weighs nothing.

Thank you!
nickdv1987

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk