walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Lightweight boots

Lightweight boots

Postby Urquhart83 » Tue May 29, 2018 11:25 am

Could anyone recommend a good pair of lightweight walking boots?
Looking for something light, comfortable, robust and waterproof for Scottish summer walking, mostly hills/mountains.
I've currently a pair of Mammuts but not keen on them and find that there of poor quality compared to my winter boot which is the Meindl Himalaya, which is a cracking boot alround except for their weight.

Any help greatly appreciated
Cheers
Urquhart83
Munro compleatist

Munros:233   Corbetts:6
Hewitts:3

Re: Lightweight boots

Postby Coop » Tue May 29, 2018 4:45 pm

I've a pair of Scarpa terra and r- evo.
Both fantastic.
Waterproof, light, tight fitting.
Wore the r- evo for 4days on the Cullins - they coped with that
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:55+17
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:69   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Postby Veryhappybunny » Tue May 29, 2018 10:07 pm

I’ll be interested to hear recommendations too - my current Salomon boots are just 13months old and already they have a hole in the fabric upper. Their weight, comfort etc was fine, but they just don’t last. Before Salomons I used Innovate, but their ‘Standard fit’ is too loose for my foot. I love my Raichles for winter but hope for something lighter for the rest of the year - at current prices I don’t want to have to buy new boots every year because the old ones have holes in them.
Veryhappybunny
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:159
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:90
Wainwrights:163   Islands:8

Postby Scottk » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:39 am

Salomon have a 2 year warranty. Worth returning them to see if you can get another pair. I have salomon ultra mid 3 gtx which I really like. 575g in a 46 with super feet insoles. I went up a full size compared to my street shoe.
Saw some inov8 mids and they looked good and only 320g. Might try a pair sometime.
Most importantly, get a pair which fit you.
Scottk
Scrambler

Munros:31   

Postby Veryhappybunny » Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:21 pm

Thanks - I didn't realise the warranty was 2 years. I recommend the Innov8s if they fit you - although I didn't think the cushioning the best, although I guess you can always use insoles.
Veryhappybunny
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:159
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:90
Wainwrights:163   Islands:8

Postby sprintster » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:01 pm

Coop wrote:I've a pair of Scarpa terra and r- evo.
Both fantastic.

I'm watching a pair of R-Evo Gtx on eBay just now.What are Scarpa sizes like? They're a half size larger than my normal size but then most of my walking boots are.
sprintster
Mountaineer

Munros:125   Corbetts:23
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby Coop » Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:25 pm

sprintster wrote:
Coop wrote:I've a pair of Scarpa terra and r- evo.
Both fantastic.

I'm watching a pair of R-Evo Gtx on eBay just now.What are Scarpa sizes like? They're a half size larger than my normal size but then most of my walking boots are.

Don't know if this'll be any help as feet and boots are really an individual thing
I take an 8. Kinda perfect for me. Tight fitting. If youv'e wider feet than me at the front they should be fine.I have insoles in the terras but dont need them in the r-evos.
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:55+17
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:69   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Postby brianloudon » Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:29 am

I love my lightweight Salewa MTN mid GTX. They are really reliable, blister free (guaranteed apparently), light and comfy, good on rocky terrain with great grip, through to long distance walking. Hard wearing and still waterproof after taking a bit of a battering over the last two and a half years. I recently had them resoled, they’d about 900km on the clock at that point.
I’d a pair of lightweight Scarpas before, which I also enjoyed (and I still use Scarpa Manta in winter), but the Salewas fit my feet a wee bit better, they’ve a really clever insole. I’ll be going for another pair when these ones finally get retired.
brianloudon
Munro compleatist

Munros:133   Corbetts:15
Fionas:4   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:30   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:1   Islands:1

Postby ScotFinn65 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:45 pm

If you like your Meindl, you could try Meindl Kapstadt. Not the traditional heavier leather Meindl but still got the quality.
ScotFinn65
Hill Bagger

Munros:119   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:3
Walk wish-list

Postby Urquhart83 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:22 pm

Thanks for the advice, ended up just going for a pair of Meindl Bhutans..... not lightweight I know but lighter than my Himalayas

After sifting through reviews for dozens of boots I just couldn't convince myself on any non leather options, thought about trying the Scarpa Terras but I know Meindl fit my feet well

Cheers
Urquhart83
Munro compleatist

Munros:233   Corbetts:6
Hewitts:3

Postby Stecky » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:29 pm

I love my Asolo Falcons I got from Go Outdoors, not cheap but comfortable as slippers with one pair of running socks on. They are good on the waterproof front and dead easy to synch up quickly, although because they are not that high on the ankle small stones can get in. They grip well but the cleats are shallow so ultimate grip is not as good as my Scarpa Deltas and I wouldnt say they are great on really rocky and gravelly terrain due to grip and sole rigidity. I tend to wear them on softer Munro’s and on the Ochils and what I like is my feet stay cool in them.
I fear they will have a limited life but the comfort is well worth paying for in the Summer heat.
Stecky
Munro compleatist

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk