walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Durable Lightweight Tent

Durable Lightweight Tent

Postby Accez » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:10 pm

Hi folks!

First of all I like to thank everyone on this forum for previous help received when planning hikes or trekking routes; this site and forum are really awesome! (If you know other forums like these, with a vivid backpacking/hiking community, let me know!)

However the main reason I'm here is something else.
I want to revive my passion for backpacking and hiking and I want to plan several trips the coming years (trips where I wildcamp along the way, hence the title).
I already have some hikes in my legs, but my equipment, gear, but most of all tent are a bit low-level for the frequent use I'm going for.
Last trip to Scotland, my tent broke down (he served some good hikes and some bad weather) so I'm in for a new one.
I want to upgrade all my gear gradually (boots, rucksack, my sleeping equipment and so on), but because I'm only a poor student, I need to keep prices in my mind and can't upgrade everything at once.
But because my tent broke down, I need a new one.

The first coming adventure is a part of the GR10 in the Pyrenees.
I'll go with a group of 4 to 6 people (all boetjes) and we plan to do a 8-day hike for approx 150km (93 miles).
Our goal is to wildcamp along the way, so we need tents.
Our previous tent was a 4-man tent, a very big but heavy one.
We quickly noticed the negative points of this tent, but we still used it until it's last breath last hike.
We decided to go for multiple lightweight 2 man tents.
Our target goal is max around 3 kg (6.6 pounds) and we want enough space for 2 big people (Im 1.97m/6ft5.5inch) and our rucksacks (2 70L rucksacks).
After some research, I saw we should watch the 3 man section instead of 2 man for this.

I already did some research and found some nice, affordable tents from brands like Kelty and Vango within our goal weigth, surface size and price range.
But the amount of possible tents within those criterions is vast, so I'm asking for suggestions!

Our goal (& TLDR) is to find a tent with these specs:
- Sub approx 3kg (6.6 pounds)
- A sleeplength of approx 2.2 meters (need to fit a guy of approx 6ft6inch)
- Fits 2 adult huge people with their rucksacks (3 man tent)
- Very Durable
- Usuable in most of Europes countries during 3 seasons (I don't need a wintertent for now). Our goal is to be able to set on a hike last minute and rely on this tent for sleep. It should be durable, last several years and should be able to handle some storms.
- Pricerange around 150-250 euros (+-130-220 GBP). If these tents are really crappy according to everyone, I could go slightly higher.

Thanks! BrakkePonsieTours2018
Accez
Munro compleatist

Re: Durable Lightweight Tent

Postby Accez » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:09 pm

The options I checked were:
- Vango Banshee (Pro) 300
- Vango Meteor 300
- Vango Zenith Pro 300
- Kelty Trail Ridge 3
- Kelty Grand Mesa 3
- Vaude Taurus 3P
- Marmot Crane Creek 3

Are any of these that you guys would recommend? (Or others)
I'm really leaning towards the Vango Banshee 300
Accez
Munro compleatist

Postby rockhopper » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:27 pm

Not sure if this is any use but I've been using a Banshee 200 for years and do like it. It's fine for me on my own with space for the rucksack but would be too tight for two plus kit - your idea of going for the three person would give more space although maybe worth checking the overall floor space to check you can both fit along with kit. I think the 300 is a little taller inside than the 200 but I'm only about 5'10" and can't sit up fully inside the 200 so I suspect you being a lot taller may not be able to sit upright in the 300 - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Accez » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:35 pm

rockhopper wrote:Not sure if this is any use but I've been using a Banshee 200 for years and do like it. It's fine for me on my own with space for the rucksack but would be too tight for two plus kit - your idea of going for the three person would give more space although maybe worth checking the overall floor space to check you can both fit along with kit. I think the 300 is a little taller inside than the 200 but I'm only about 5'10" and can't sit up fully inside the 200 so I suspect you being a lot taller may not be able to sit upright in the 300 - cheers :)

Hi, thanks for the answer!
I really love the Vango lineup in terms of specs and the Vango Banshee Pro 300 in terms of price (135 GBP, free delivery to Belgium so approx 155 EUR), so I'm glad you like your banshee 200.
I think the banshee pro 300 is wide enough for 2 people, I'm more concerned of the length.
The lack of height is a bummer since we won't be able to play the cards in bad weather then; but I guess thats a trade-off we have to make; a tent within our weigth range that is sturdy and allows us to sit upright seems quite a dream.
Accez
Munro compleatist

Postby Hola » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:37 am

Check out tent/shelter selection on Ultralight Outdoor Gear and save yourself some weight
Hola
Scrambler

Postby Hola » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:47 am

MSR Hubbas or Big Agnes Copper Spurs.. 3 person versions for you.
You’ll save weight, have space and height
Rapid pitching on any terrain
BUT the catch is cost
I have used both these brands in the Alps and Andes
If well cared for will last.
Hola
Scrambler

Postby Accez » Sun Jun 03, 2018 8:49 am

Hola wrote:Check out tent/shelter selection on Ultralight Outdoor Gear and save yourself some weight

They are quite out of price range tho :(
I'm going for one of those (like 500 pound price range) whenever I work, but for now, I would need a more budget tent that will do and last me until I work (like 2 - 3 years, meaning around 5-8 trips for 8 days so 40-60 nights)
Accez
Munro compleatist

Postby thatweebirdie » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:33 am

I lost a long post when my hinterwebz ran out of oil.

In short, I have a second hand Vaude Hogan that has travelled the world and been well bullied. It is at least ten years old and is still going strong. You'd need a decent footprint for it, but a folded groundsheet will do brilliantly, or even a bivvy bag if only one of you. Pitches in minutes, I think my record is 4 minutes and it's designed so that the inner always stays dry while you're pitching.

We slept 2 people (one small woman, one 20 stone + man) plus WHW rucksacks, boots, daypacks etc sufficiently if not terribly comfortably INSIDE the tent without using the porch. For one person, it's wonderful. 2 normal people where it's dry enough to leave packs/boots etc outside - brilliant.

If the Taurus is anything like that, you won't be disappointed; but you might want to look about for a 2nd hand Hogan.
thatweebirdie
Hill Bagger

Munros:1   
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:7   

Postby Accez » Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:51 am

thatweebirdie wrote:I lost a long post when my hinterwebz ran out of oil.

In short, I have a second hand Vaude Hogan that has travelled the world and been well bullied. It is at least ten years old and is still going strong. You'd need a decent footprint for it, but a folded groundsheet will do brilliantly, or even a bivvy bag if only one of you. Pitches in minutes, I think my record is 4 minutes and it's designed so that the inner always stays dry while you're pitching.

We slept 2 people (one small woman, one 20 stone + man) plus WHW rucksacks, boots, daypacks etc sufficiently if not terribly comfortably INSIDE the tent without using the porch. For one person, it's wonderful. 2 normal people where it's dry enough to leave packs/boots etc outside - brilliant.

If the Taurus is anything like that, you won't be disappointed; but you might want to look about for a 2nd hand Hogan.

Doesn't the footprint add some additional weigth?
Accez
Munro compleatist

Postby sprintster » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:00 pm

I've got a Berghaus Peak 3.3 for two of us plus dog.Ripstop nylon and alloy poles. Plenty of space with a large porch where two rucksacks can be stowed in the end and still have room to sit in the middle. Just over 3kg but we split the tent in half to carry it. Available from Blacks just now for £118.
sprintster
Mountaineer

Munros:125   Corbetts:23
Fionas:7   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby Ben Nachie » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:19 pm

Accez wrote:Doesn't the footprint add some additional weigth?

I've never quite understood the logic of buying a super duper lightweight tent then adding a footprint to it.

Similarly I've never got my head round using a miryad of different dry bags in a rucksack when one or maybe two will do.
Ben Nachie
Munro compleatist

Postby Mantog » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:07 pm

Hi Accez

As a 6’5” camping fanatic I find one the biggest issues is actually the length of the tent (coupled with distance between inner and outer and also ‘slope angle’ ). This is something to take into account for your 6’6” friend! In some tents my feet are pushing the inner against the outer and cause my down sleeping bag to get wet, not ideal!
Mantog
Munro compleatist

Munros:45   Corbetts:1
Fionas:5   Donalds:1
Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:21   

Postby thatweebirdie » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:15 pm

Ben Nachie wrote:

I've never quite understood the logic of buying a super duper lightweight tent then adding a footprint to it.

Similarly I've never got my head round using a miryad of different dry bags in a rucksack when one or maybe two will do.

I use a groundsheet and it doesn't add much at all, a bivvy would be even less. I'd prefer a bit more weight than a drenched sleeping bag and a wet bum!
thatweebirdie
Hill Bagger

Munros:1   
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:7   

Postby Alteknacker » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:01 pm

I've had a Banshee 300 for some years now, and it's been great. However, I notice that the weight seems to have increased - mine weighs 2.7 kg including bags, poles, pegs; whereas the current version is sold as weighing 2.8kg.

It may be that they're using stronger poles. Mine are a bit on the flimsy side, compared to, for example, the Vango Orion 200 (2017) - which I've just had the opportunity of comparing it with. I was pretty impressed with this - the poles are larger diameter than the Banshee 300 and it's a full tunnel, but the pack weighs only 100gm more (2.8 kg). It's very slightly smaller inside, but has a much bigger porch. Might be worth considering if you think you might be camping in especially windy places on occasion.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Ben Nachie » Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:46 am

thatweebirdie wrote:
Ben Nachie wrote:

I use a groundsheet and it doesn't add much at all, a bivvy would be even less. I'd prefer a bit more weight than a drenched sleeping bag and a wet bum!

A Vaude Hogan SUL 2P weighs 1400g.
An ultralight footprint for it weighs 250g.
That's an extra 18%. I wonder what other possibly cheaper tents are available at 1650g?
Ben Nachie
Munro compleatist

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk