walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

salomon boots

salomon boots

Postby Runci21 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:47 am

I am having trouble with my new salomon x ultra mid 3 gtx boots and I am a complete novice to walking boots, got my first pair about 3 weeks ago tried them on in the shop and seemed to fit fine and after a couple of short walks I started getting sore toes like my feet where slipping forward on downhill sections.
luckily for me my brother is also looking to get into hill walking and is a shoe size smaller than me bought them of me so I went back to our local go outdoors shop bought the same model again in a larger size, now when I walk downhill sections my toes don't hit the front now but seem to be a little narrow and squeezing my toes together.
i have never had any issues with wide feet with any other footware, are salomon boots made narrow ??

any suggestions on boots with a wider toe box, looking to try craigdon mountain sports in Edinburgh after work today
Runci21
Mountaineer

Munros:82   Corbetts:4
Donalds:7
Sub 2000:10   
Islands:6

Re: salomon boots

Postby KatTai » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:24 am

If you go into Craigdon they will measure your feet properly for you and make sure you get the right fit. They also should have a slope board for you to go up/down on to get a better idea of how they feel. The guy in the Perth store was a great help when I went in to choose a pair of walking boots.
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

Postby stinker » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:25 am

Not a very well known brand in the UK as yet but it might be worth having a look at the Oboz Sawtooth Mid B-Dry Boots. If you would prefer a shoe rather than a boot they also make the Oboz Sawtooth Low B-Dry Shoe. Both Mid and Low versions are also available in a non waterproof version.

From personal experience they're very well made comfortable boot/shoes with a decent width roomy toe box. I would suggest that the quality of materials, build quality and comfort at least equals if not exceeds that of the Salomon products I've previously owned.

Craigdon Mountain Sports in Edinburgh are listed as an Authorised Retailer for Oboz and I think Go Outdoors have just started stocking the Oboz brand but they are available online from various retailers from £64.99 plus post upwards. There's plenty of independent reviews for both boots and shoes from numerous sources.
stinker
Walker

Postby tweedledog » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:13 am

I've tried Salomon boots in the past and found them too narrow. Finally pretty much settled on Scarpa - Scarpa Delta for 3 season, Scarpa Manta for winter.. Their last seems to produce the right width for me so maybe worth you trying some on. But take KatTai's excellent advice about getting properly measured.
tweedledog
Wanderer

Postby rockhopper » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:04 pm

Interestingly I have a relatively short but wide foot; I like Scarpas but find that I need to go up about 1.5 sizes to get a fit which works which is OK as I wear outer and liner socks and use special insoles for metatarsalgia. However, I got a pair of Salomon Quest prime GTX last year to try them out as they are lighter in weight; I only needed to go up 1 size as their standard insoles are fine and I don't have the same problems. I think it may be something to do with the metatarsalgia flaring up with stiffer boots but not sure.

To resolve some of the issues you're having, I've tried different lacing systems in the past. In order to allow a little more room at the toe end, I leave the laces a little looser lower down but then double twist at the ankle or use the gripping lugs which some boots have then tie the reminder tightly up the ankle. With the scarpas, I tend to go from third top lugs straight to top lugs then back down to second top lugs and then tie the laces; this way I can keep the laces tight so that the ankle is held tightly in place to stop the foot slipping forward but while still allowing space around the ball of foot / toe end to help ease problems with the bony bits below the toes and not squeeze the foot across the way - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Runci21 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:21 pm

Got sorted at craigdon mountain sports this afternoon, got me feet measured properly and tried on a lot of boots and different insoles. Now the proud owner of a pair of Albert tethers extra wide
Runci21
Mountaineer

Munros:82   Corbetts:4
Donalds:7
Sub 2000:10   
Islands:6

Postby Gareth Harper » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:54 pm

Tethera I take it.
I've got a pair of those in wide fit, you must have really broad feet to go to extra wide.
They take a bit of breaking in, and are on the stiff side for a three season boot, but I've found them to be the most comfortable boot I've had so far.
The Tethera ain't cheap but bear in mind that if you look after them you should be able to re-sole them.
Gareth Harper

Munros:204   Corbetts:83
Fionas:26   Donalds:50
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Mantog » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:19 pm

I’ve got the Tethera, cracking boot
Mantog
Munro compleatist

Munros:45   Corbetts:1
Fionas:5   Donalds:1
Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:21   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk