walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

waterproofs

waterproofs

Postby mikebeattie1 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:48 pm

hi all
my question maybe a strange one :D but how waterproof are waterproofs ???? today i went walking in my mountain equipment gore tex jacket and my berghaus over trousers and to be honest i wasn't to impressed with them :( but in fairness am i being to hard as it was like walking in the shower for 4 hours .. i've had both items for about 7 years but probably in that 7 years they would of been used about a year if i wore them continuously .. each time they get washed i just use nik wax tech wash and let them dry naturally ... so when they have to be worn again in the rain i put them on and you just dont see the beading anymore on the outer layer and you can feel the dampness creeping in .. so are my waterproofs no longer water proofs or am i being hard on these two items
mikebeattie1
Mountaineer

Munros:168   Corbetts:52
Fionas:52   
Sub 2000:14   

Re: waterproofs

Postby jmarkb » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:10 pm

mikebeattie1 wrote:each time they get washed i just use nik wax tech wash and let them dry naturally

You could try tumble drying them: see https://www.gore-tex.com/support/restoring-water-repellency
However, they do have a finite lifetime - the seams tend to be the first thing to go.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby stinker » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:54 pm

Nikwax Tech Wash needs to be used in combination with the occasional use of Nikwax TX Direct (either Wash In or Spray On depending on the item) to be effective and restore the waterproofing.

After 7 years you've probably had your money's worth out of them and it may not be possible to restore the waterproofing.
stinker
Walker

Postby spiderwebb » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:03 pm

On the assumption that its not condensation that you're feeling dampness from, the Gore Tex membrane is waterproof, unless of course its been worn/damaged in some way, a common theme with Gore-Tex boots, or at least that's my belief, given the idea of a thin membrane in a boot which is being bashed, flexed etc. such boots have never stayed waterproof for the lifetime of the boot.

The breathability can vary dependant on many factors, humidity, how much you're perspiring, temperature etc, and the membrane itself is sandwiched between the jacket layers, which varies between jackets. The outer getting saturated may also have a limiting factor on breathability.

All my waterproofs, jackets and trousers have been Berghaus over many years. The first one unfortunately was left on a train :lol: the second was a Berghaus Lightning which met its fate with additional ventilation being added, rather spoiling the waterproofness :wink: , and I then two Mera Peaks which are both going strong, the first after 15 or so years. The first one I have washed and used a Tech wash which restored the 'beading effect' for one trip only, after which I never bothered as despite the outer getting saturated it retained its full waterproof qualities. In my entire 40 years of walking that is the one and only time I have washed a Gore Tex jacket. A full wash being something I personally would avoid, a wipe with a damp cloth for any individual dirt marks.

Whilst not familiar with all the various makes, models, I have always looked for a waterproof jacket that has the double flaps over the front zip, and if possible flaps over any zipped pockets, as I have found this is the only way to ensure moisture does not penetrate. Water resistant zips are, in my opinion, useless, and to have one of these as the main zip on the front is not a good idea, however they may try and sell it.

Until very recently my waterproof trousers have been Berghaus Paclite, and these have been brilliant and 100% effective from a waterproof point of view and also being so light you hardly notice you're wearing them. But the lightness does come with a downside and that is they are not too resilient and easily torn or ripped, if for example scrambling, I think I have been through 3 pairs, although small rips can bee patched quite successfully with Gore Tex patches :D
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby Ben Nachie » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:33 pm

I've never washed waterproofs either, just wiped down if really necessary. I've never had them leak, I don't think. Only ever got damp through condensation.
Ben Nachie
Munro compleatist

Postby Caberfeidh » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:44 pm

I am reminded of a conversation we had on this very websitepagethingy, back in the olden days. Of Yore. https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=736
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby mikebeattie1 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:18 pm

thanks for all replies
mikebeattie1
Mountaineer

Munros:168   Corbetts:52
Fionas:52   
Sub 2000:14   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk