walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Chinese sleeping bag.

Re: Chinese sleeping bag.

Postby Sgurr » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:55 pm

Years ago I bought an unbranded cheap cheap cheap Chinese down jacket from a shop in Bangor NW before it had really entered my head how they got the down. I still have it. Served me very well on an Everest base camp trek when people with long hair had to watch out it didn't freeze to the inside of the tent as they slept (I slept in a woolly hat). Things may be different now.

We were given a down sleeping bag by a next-door neighbour in the late 1960s when he decided he wouldn't use it any more.He had been in the retreat from Burma and when he got leave in India, unlike his colleagues, got a bag made up and went walking in Tibet. Despite its illustrious history, we couldn't bring ourselves to use it as it looked downright manky. Heaven knows where THAT down came from.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby rgf101 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:36 pm

Just having a browse of opinions on cheap Chinese gear, with Aliexpress open in another tab. Did you ever get one of these bags?
rgf101

Postby Alteknacker » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:59 pm

I bought an Aegismax bag, which claimed 380gm of 800 fill power goose down (90%). No information on welfare, so I am assuming no welfare. Not treated to be hydrophobic. If my memory serves me correctly, it cost about £70. It weighs 725 gm.

I've used it a few times, including an overnight bivvy in the garden to test it out, and notwithstanding a light frost, I was always perfectly warm (used an Exped winter mattress though). It packs down to a very small size indeed, and certainly feels like it's made with good quality down. I was toying with the idea of hydrophobic down, but in the end didn't bother because a) I've not yet had a problem with my winter bag (not hydrophobic); and b) lots of other folk seem to have managed OK by being careful. I recently bivvied on the South Downs in an absolute pea-souper of a sea mist, and the bag was absolutely dry the next day.

The material it's made of is super lightweight, but it seems reasonably robust.

The only complaint I have with the bag is that the zip baffle didn't really cover the zip; so I sewed in some velcro strip to ensure a good cover. That was a real ball-ache!!!
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby crfishwick » Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:23 pm

Hopefully with their attitude they get ripped off. :( :(
crfishwick

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk