walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Backpack weight for an overnighter

Backpack weight for an overnighter

Postby ScotFinn65 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:06 pm

I am seeking some specific advice for backpack weight.

I have read most of the standard posts about percentage of body weight, fitness level etc. However, most do not cover ascent very well.

I am planning a multi-Munro wild camping trip and am a bit paranoid about over-packing for the distance/ascent.

I am planning a single night camp with a day walk in and out. This will cover 5 Munros and 1 Corbett with approx 3500m ascent and 45km distance.

I am reasonably fit and the distance does not worry me, except for the pack weight after starting the ascents.

I have seen many of the WH regular writers making such trips but l couldn't find any mention of pack weight.

Any advice would be warmly welcome.

Thanks
ScotFinn65
Hill Bagger

Munros:119   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:3
Walk wish-list

Re: Backpack weight for an overnighter

Postby Alteknacker » Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:23 pm

I just did my first overnighter for 50 years (a month ago) :roll: . 52km, 4600m ascent. Normally I carry about 6 - 9 kilos in a day pack, depending on whether I expect to find plenty of water sources or not, and typically am OK with 40+km/4000m in a day (very tired, but OK - just! :) ).

This time the pack was about 15 kg. I was quite surprised what a difference the extra 6 - 9kg weight made (ie I was b******d). And trying to save on weight, I didn't carry enough water - not so clever on a ridge walk. Getting dehydrated is surely not a good idea.

My tentative conclusion - based on a sample of one - me - would be: if the idea of 45km and 3500m ascent seems OK to you with a day pack, then you should be OK with an overnight pack, albeit you may find it a fair bit harder work. Be sure you have your water plan sorted (water courses on the map, or carry enough).

Good luck, and hope you have a lot of fun.

AK
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Giant Stoneater » Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:22 am

I done a 3 day overnighter of the Fannichs recently and some other hills and my pack weighed about 13kgs and that was about 5000 of ascent and 5000 of descent and 60km,also carried 2ltr of water all the way round ,also am 62 years of age.
If doing a overnighter you will only need one set of clothes so dont bother with a change of clothes.
Food just take what you would normally eat and don't bother with any extras,my Fannich trip i came back with only one snack bar.
I don't bother with any extras,books,drink(whisky,wine),electronic gadgets i just try and go as light as i can.
Pack your sack then pack again taking out the things that you could do without don't forget it's only one night.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby ScotFinn65 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:08 am

Thanks for the responses.

Great information for my preparations.

Much appreciated ! :)
ScotFinn65
Hill Bagger

Munros:119   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:3
Walk wish-list

Postby Ben Nachie » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:00 pm

Thirty years ago when I was relatively new to the game a backpacking friend gave me some advice that's as true now as it was then. He said if your pack weight is below 10kg you'll be happy. If it's between 10 and 15kg that's acceptable but could be improved. If it's over 15kg you'll regret it.

Modern gear means that it's easier to achieve that now than it was then.
Ben Nachie
Munro compleatist

Postby Robinho08 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:24 pm

I aim for my pack weight to be well below 10kg. This is base weight, so doesn't include food.

Think the most common mistakes are taking loads of unnecessary spare clothes and carrying in water.

Here's a link to my kit list if you're interested: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qFDKXUpTif5lWtcFjZ9V2kV53punY0kPsfhAD9VxnDk/edit?usp=drivesdk
Robinho08
Walker

Munros:54   Corbetts:70
Fionas:9   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:1

Postby rockhopper » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:24 pm

Robinho08 wrote:I aim for my pack weight to be well below 10kg. This is base weight, so doesn't include food.
Think the most common mistakes are taking loads of unnecessary spare clothes and carrying in water.
Here's a link to my kit list if you're interested: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qFDKXUpTif5lWtcFjZ9V2kV53punY0kPsfhAD9VxnDk/edit?usp=drivesdk

Interesting. I normally aim for under 14kg in total. If I take water and food out of my list, I end up about 2kg heavier than your list. The 2kg is mainly about 1.1kg from your tarp setup .v. my banshee and you're about 0.9kg lighter in clothes.
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby whiteburn » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:31 pm

Robinho08 wrote:I aim for my pack weight to be well below 10kg. This is base weight, so doesn't include food.

Getting the base weight below 10kg is relatively straight forward with some intelligent thinking/ purchasing
As RobinHo08 points out one common mistake is carrying too many spare clothes, I'd add the one size fits all sleeping bag (e.g. a minus 10C synthetic bag in the middle of summer) & the huge sack to carry it.

I'm regularly out in Scotland for several days at a time with a base weight of about 5 kg & on multi week trips it may rise to 6kg, but this is after many years of trial & error finding out what works for me.
Best route to a low base weight is regular short trips pruning away all the unnecessary bits & pieces (without going stupidly light) & finding out what works for you & your wallet.
whiteburn
Stravaiging

Postby Ben Nachie » Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:59 pm

It's maybe worth mentioning 'the big four'. These are the four single items that generally weigh the most and are therefore worthy of careful consideration when purchasing, and are low hanging fruit, as it were. They are sleeping bag, tent, stove and rucksack.

The other common errors are too many spare clothes, and too many small gadgets and nick-nacks that weigh 'nothing' individually but all add up. I include dry bags in that category!
Ben Nachie
Munro compleatist

Postby Robinho08 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:59 am

Ben Nachie wrote:It's maybe worth mentioning 'the big four'.

- Rucksack
- Tent
- Sleeping bag
- Sleeping mat

Get the weight of these 4 right down and you're laughing, then you can look at your cooking set up.
Robinho08
Walker

Munros:54   Corbetts:70
Fionas:9   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:1

Postby Giant Stoneater » Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:33 am

whiteburn wrote:I'm regularly out in Scotland for several days at a time with a base weight of about 5 kg & on multi week trips it may rise to 6kg, but this is after many years of trial & error finding out what works for me.
Best route to a low base weight is regular short trips pruning away all the unnecessary bits & pieces (without going stupidly light) & finding out what works for you & your wallet.

Be interesting to see how Whiteburn gets his pack to 6kg for a multi week trip with facts and figures,i might learn something.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby Ben Nachie » Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:42 pm

Robinho08 wrote:
Ben Nachie wrote:It's maybe worth mentioning 'the big four'.

- Rucksack
- Tent
- Sleeping bag
- Sleeping mat

Get the weight of these 4 right down and you're laughing, then you can look at your cooking set up.

You're quite right, my bad.

My sleeping pad does indeed weigh more than even my Whisperlight International. My heaviest but favourite stove. Mind you, my pad isn't the lightest it could be either, but I do like some home comforts. :D
Ben Nachie
Munro compleatist

Postby whiteburn » Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:57 pm

Giant Stoneater wrote:
whiteburn wrote:I'm regularly out in Scotland for several days at a time with a base weight of about 5 kg & on multi week trips it may rise to 6kg, but this is after many years of trial & error finding out what works for me.

Be interesting to see how Whiteburn gets his pack to 6kg for a multi week trip with facts and figures,i might learn something.

My typical 3 Season base weight ~5kg, would need to add required maps
MLD Exodus pack & poly liner: 750g
Includes extra pockets & lid. Similar to other frameless packs the load limit is around 12kg so OK for me for 7 - 8 nights between resupplies.
MLD Cuben Duomid with solo inner & pegs: 1000g
Spacious accommodation for one when storm bound!
Cumulus 250 quilt, Neoair short, short CCF mat, Exped pillow & dry bag: 850g
Comfortable for me to minus 2 or 3C with PJ's & fleece. Short CCF mat is 'frame' for the pack + sit mat around camp
Evernew 900 pot, Caldera Cone, stove, spoon, cup, 2 * platys & water filter: 475g
In Scotland I'd omit the filter & a platy saving >150g
Clothes – Marmot Precip jacket, Berghaus Paclite over trousers, Rab Aon top, Pertex trou’s, 2 pr socks, fleece, Cumulus down vest, buff, liner gloves: 1250g
Rab top & Pertex trou’s serve as PJ's + spare clothes for laundry duty. The waterproofs aren't the lightest (~500g) but serve me well.
Bits & pieces – Phone + charger + spare cells, compass, camera, repair kit, FAK, trowel, e-light, penknife, lighter, wash kit, dry bag: 700g.

It does take some time & practise getting used to stripping back to the very basics but for long journeys the benefits are worthwhile.
whiteburn
Stravaiging

Postby whiteburn » Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:57 pm

PS: forgot to add that for higher altitude stuff I’d replace the Cumulus vest with a full jacket +200g; possibly add the Corsa Axe +200g & Vargo cleats +150g also a sleeping bag liner +130g for refuges, so that would be pushing 6kg.
whiteburn
Stravaiging

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk