walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Altberg kisdon

Altberg kisdon

Postby weesmudge » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:27 pm

About to buy a pair of these as they do half sizes and are also wide made.
Tried loads of other brands to no avail all to tight and size 10 to big and size 9 to small.
So anyway are they a good quality boot and anyone else wear them.
Ta
Chris
weesmudge
Munro compleatist

Munros:136   Corbetts:4

Re: Altberg kisdon

Postby Driftwood » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:54 pm

Yes, I think so, and I do, more or less.

I have a recent pair of Altberg Nordkapp, which is pretty much the same boot but with a narrower heel and less volume (the body of the foot is a fair width, but not so tall as the Kisdon).

I've only done about 120 miles and maybe 18000 metres in them so far, and no real test of their waterproofing, but have been blisfully comfortable and stood up to plenty of big ridge walks and rough terrain. I've previously used (and still have) some Altberg Mallerstang and Fremington boots, different styles but comparable all-leather boots, which have done a lot of miles and hills. Occasional rinsing clean and polishing (using their Leder Gris wax) has kept both of them going strong and I'd expect the same of the Nordkapp, or Kisdon.

I will mention that my Nordkapps have been waxed, which effectively turns the Nubuk leather into darker, smooth leather, as I prefer that for water-resistance and maintenance.
Driftwood
Mountain Walker

Munros:244   Corbetts:60
Fionas:35   Donalds:27+23
Sub 2000:19   

Postby Alteknacker » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:29 pm

Recently bought a pair, but have hardly used them because I just bought them for mid-winter (I only wear boots when I absolutely have to). I've worn them in very wet conditions, and they didn't let any water in at all.

They certainly look to be very well made indeed - excellent quality, as far as I can see.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby davekeiller » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:27 pm

I've got a pair of Altberg Tetheras for a similar reason (narrow size 8 1/2 means it's very hard to find anything to fit).
I've been very pleased with them so far and they seem to be a good quality boot.

Altberg seem to be a proper old-fashioned bootmaker, who take pride in turning out good products.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby hbeevers » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:45 pm

Hi Chris,

I've had a pair of Kisdon's for about a year now and have got on very well with them. They're a perfect fit for my high arch feet with a set of Superfeet Green insoles.

They've been stiff enough for scrambling up to grade 3 on Brown Cove Crags but flexible/ comfortable enough for the Yorkshire 3 peaks. An excellent middle ground between my Manta's and Pathfinder Trek shoes (also Altberg, also good).

I've waxed them as the nubuck finish looked nice new but is a faff to maintain. They've never let in water and have surpassed plenty of other's boots that did, last week I treated them as wellys through a river crossing with confidence. I use Altbergs Military Brown wax and they look pretty good in my opinion.

Only downside, the leather has creased a little sooner than my older boots but they were thicker, full grain so it's not too surprising really.

Any questions, I'm happy to help.

Henry
hbeevers
Mountaineer

Postby weesmudge » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:48 pm

Well folks bought a pair yesterday and out of the box they have to be the comfiest boots I’ve had on my feet, so today took them for a wee walk to break them in done the full beinn a ghlo loop at Blair Atholl so 15 mile in 7hrs 30. And not a blister to be seen so all is good.
weesmudge
Munro compleatist

Munros:136   Corbetts:4

Postby Anaon » Wed Sep 12, 2018 4:12 pm

Hello,

Quite interested in these boots as well, and the Scarpa SL Activ... I guess it's quite similar in term of quality, I have to try them but anyone ever compared them?

Thanks
Anaon
Mountain Walker

Munros:19   
Hewitts:2

Postby davekeiller » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:47 pm

Those two pairs of boots aren't directly comparable.
The Scarpa SL Activ is a 3-4 season hillwalking boot which is crampon compatible, whilst the Altberg Kisdon is a lighter weight 3 season boot which will be much more flexible and less suited to scrambling and winter use.

Build quality will probably be similar, but the intended use is different and therefore so will their comfort and performance.
davekeiller

Postby Anaon » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:53 pm

davekeiller wrote:Those two pairs of boots aren't directly comparable.
The Scarpa SL Activ is a 3-4 season hillwalking boot which is crampon compatible, whilst the Altberg Kisdon is a lighter weight 3 season boot which will be much more flexible and less suited to scrambling and winter use.

Build quality will probably be similar, but the intended use is different and therefore so will their comfort and performance.

Sorry, you're right. To be honest, I'm not sure if I need a lighter, more flexible model a 3-4 season model. I hike in the Highlands mostly in October or in March, so it can be quite snowy sometimes... I have a pair of Hanwag Tatra at the moment but I'm not totally satisfied, I don't find really comfortable and I damaged one the shoes on a sharp rock unfortunately so I'm in the market for a new model, maybe something less stiff like the Kidson or even the Tethera...
Anaon
Mountain Walker

Postby Gareth Harper » Fri Sep 14, 2018 7:45 pm

I’ve got a pair of Scarpa SL’s in wide fit. They are a few years old now, bought 2010, and generally I only go out in them if I expect to have to don crampons.

I bought a pair of Altberg Tethera in wide fit in 2016 and really like them. First boot I’ve had that I felt fitted properly.

This year I bought a pair of Altberg Nordkapp in A-Form fit to break in as my Tetheras are getting fairly well worn now. It’s wide at the front like my Tethera but has a narrower heal, so far I think it’s working well for me.
Basically the Nordkapp Tethera and the Kidson are different versions of the same thing. They are made using different lasts.
If you click on each boot on the web site and then click on features you’ll get description of the fit.

The Tethera is the standard Altberg last – available in half sizes and 5 width’s.
The A form is described here - https://www.altberg.co.uk/a-forme/ and available in half sizes.
The Kidson is G fit which is extra wide with extra volume.

I’d describe these boots as on the stiff side for 3 season boots, they are not approved for but will probably take a flexible crampon OK. They are sturdy boots.

The Scapa is significantly heavier (the Altbergs are surprising light for traditional leather boots) and stiffer. I don’t know if they still do the wide version.

Hope that helps.
Gareth Harper

Munros:204   Corbetts:83
Fionas:26   Donalds:50
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Anaon » Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:21 pm

It definitely helps, thank you very much !! I was a bit lost in the different models. I'm not sure about which fit I need because my Hanwag Tatra is the wide fit but my Lowa Renegade and my Brasher Country Master are regular models and I find them so comfortable... I guess I should try the Tethera first but I'm not sure I will find them in France. Visiting London in October, I'll try to find a store stocking them...
Anaon
Mountain Walker

Postby davekeiller » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:22 pm

Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on which way you look at it) boot width and fit isn't standard across manufacturers, and can even vary between different lasts used by the same manufacturer.
For instance, I think I saw somewhere that the Scarpa SL is wider than some other Scarpa boots because it's predominantly made for the UK market and British people, on average, have wider feet than continental Europeans.
Ultimately, you need to try boots on, even if you've had other boots from the same manufacturer before.
davekeiller

Postby JustinHX » Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:02 pm

Has anyone had both Kisdon and Tethera boots?
I need to replace my 12wide Tetheras and the Kisdon boots look like a great boot.
JustinHX
Mountain Walker

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk