walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Bags with sensible ice axe attachments

Bags with sensible ice axe attachments

Postby Pointless Parasite » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:52 pm

Anyone else have a problem with inappropriately positioned attachment points for ice axes?

Osprey Talon 22 - no problem here:

ImageP1040466 by the pointless parasite, on Flickr

I bought the larger Talon 33 but was dismayed to find the ice axe attachment points resulted in the axe sticking right up above the top of the bag:

ImageP1040464 by the pointless parasite, on Flickr

Ridiculous!

The upper attachment point is also too low. If the bag is not completely full, the axe tends to lean out to the side. Using the 'wrong' straps offers a slight improvement:

ImageP1040465 by the pointless parasite, on Flickr

Vango Boulder 35 is only a little better:

ImageP1040462 by the pointless parasite, on Flickr

At least with this cheapo Vango bag you can use the compression straps to hold the axe securely and stop it leaning out to the side.

I don't get this. How could the designers of these bags be so stupid to place the attachment loops so high up? Or are they purely designed for people with short 'ice tool' type axes and not for walkers with axes with long shafts? Are there any bags available with 30-35 l capacity with sensible ice axe attachments?
Pointless Parasite
Mountaineer

Munros:83   Corbetts:6
Fionas:5   Donalds:19+2
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:130
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Re: Bags with sensible ice axe attachments

Postby gary » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:45 pm

https://m.needlesports.com/51728/products/deuter-guide-35-plus-ocean-fire.aspx?oldid=51728
I find this one quite good for the few times I’ve used it with an ice axe.
gary
Mountain Walker

Munros:270   Corbetts:9

Re: Bags with sensible ice axe attachments

Postby rockhopper » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:06 pm

Must admit that I've never really thought about it before - have had a boulder 35 in the past and now use a talon 33 and a kestrel 35. I've had a look at some photos. It may be that the top loops can't be placed any higher as they'd interfere with the lid - at least that's how it looks on my two - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk