walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Sweaty feet and liner socks

Sweaty feet and liner socks

Postby CyberianK » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:27 pm

Hey everyone,

so I was reading a bit and quite a few peoples are using liner socks under thicker socks to reduce friction and blisters. I usually sweat a lot on my feet in normal weather even with just reinforced hiking socks. I guess when its cold its not that big of an issue.
Can you recommend liner socks for summer and sweaty feet and if so which material/brand?

Probably test a few combinations the next weeks before I start my trip. Did an 8 hour non stop test walk last Sunday in the gear I want to take and while I did not have real blisters my feet were already quite stressed due to warm weather and hot/sweaty feet.

Regards,

Chris
CyberianK
Scrambler

Re: Sweaty feet and liner socks

Postby Jon and Jen » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:59 pm

Peter Storm coolmax liner socks from Blacks. With a 25% discount they were cheap enough at £6 for 2 pairs. I wear them with thick merino wool socks. My feet are quite sweaty but this combination works well. Been covering hundreds of miles during the heatwave. No issues with blisters which I'm prone to but I use ptfe blister prevention patches. No blisters at all since getting those.
Jon and Jen
Mountain Walker

Munros:37   Corbetts:7
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:7   

Postby rockhopper » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:50 pm

I always wear liner socks regardless of the season. Bridgedale cool max. Feet still get warm and can get a bit sweaty if very warm weather though. Cheers 😀
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby CyberianK » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:17 am

Thanks for the info, I guess I will try some Coolmax material mix liner for inside. At least I can order the Bridgedale from Amazon UK. Strange they don't have anything with comparable material mix in my local German outdoor store.

Then some Merino for outside (Danish Endurance) those have proven to be quite good.
CyberianK
Scrambler

Postby Robinho08 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:32 pm

I done away with sock liners when I switched to merino wool socks as I find them comfortable and don't smell half as bad as normal hiking socks. 8)
Robinho08
Walker

Munros:54   Corbetts:70
Fionas:9   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:1

Postby CyberianK » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:15 pm

Couldn't easily get the other socks here in Germany without extra shipping so I bought some "Rohner Trekking Protector plus" after googling for alternative. They work great just tested them. Not cheap though but I will buy some of the other brands when I am in UK so I have some extra liners.
CyberianK
Scrambler

Postby thatweebirdie » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:35 pm

No experience of liner socks, I'm afraid, but if your tootsies are on the fragrant side, I can highly recommend Gehwol foot cream. Not only is it an absolute DELIGHT to apply after taking your boots off, it really helps with pongs. It's fabulous stuff and while it's a tad on the pricey side, it's like gold in a tube and your plates of meat will love you for it (as will your fellow walkers).
thatweebirdie
Hill Bagger

Munros:1   
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:7   

Postby CyberianK » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:37 am

thatweebirdie wrote:No experience of liner socks, I'm afraid, but if your tootsies are on the fragrant side, I can highly recommend Gehwol foot cream. Not only is it an absolute DELIGHT to apply after taking your boots off, it really helps with pongs. It's fabulous stuff and while it's a tad on the pricey side, it's like gold in a tube and your plates of meat will love you for it (as will your fellow walkers).

Thanks I think even my local pharmacy has it. I used Talkum/baby powder in the past but I guess I try that one.
CyberianK
Scrambler

Postby Will N To » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:24 pm

Smartwool liners work well. I usually get hot spots and blisters when there's rubbing. So it's usually finding the right 'fit'. I recently did a lot of smartwool liners and smartwool socks (I think about a medium thickness or weight). They add some warmth, and as my socks started to get 'sloppy and saggy' (3 pairs of socks for three months, hiking boots) the liners helped. Silkliners? wasted money, they don't seem to hold up at all. With Merino smartwool, If I can let a pair of stinky socks air out (inside out) for two days, the stinky is mostly gone. If you find it hard to tell the aired out socks from the washed but not worn ones? That's a good sign.
I've also switched to merino undies and t-shirt base layers. I can wear the same stuff for 2-3 hot sweaty days and still not reek. With synthetics I reek in a matter of hours. Cotton? 8-9 hours. (A really good synthetic layer seems to be the perfect medium for aromatic bacteria cultivation--so make sure the fellow dating the girl you like is fully supplied with synthetic underwear.) I've washed merino t-shirts because they had residual sweat salt stains but still didn't stink. Also Gold Bond powder. My son told me soldiers swear by it. And don't forget about Fabreez! The UK is lucky because you can get unscented Fabreez. I've sprayed my nasty smelling boots, a rental car I was dirtbag camping in. Amazing stuff.
Will N To
Scrambler

Postby arjh » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:28 pm

I used to use liner socks a lot when I was younger, as this was the advice I had received via the scouts, other walkers etc. At some point in my twenties I got fed up with them and just used the main socks and noticed no difference as regards friction, blisters etc.

When I went to get myself properly measured for boots/custom insoles (by the fantastic Whalley Warm & Dry, highly recommended) about 3-4 years ago, I asked whether I was right to ditch the liner socks. The expert opinion was that liners were useful back in the day when the main sock was basically just a tube of material, but now that modern hiking socks have moved on so far in terms of design and materials that liner socks basically make no difference.

Your mileage may vary of course...
arjh
Wanderer

Munros:116   Corbetts:27
Fionas:14   Donalds:13+8
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:316
Wainwrights:187   Islands:6

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk