walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

frugal way to get 1:25k topo maps on a GPS device?

Re: frugal way to get 1:25k topo maps on a GPS device?

Postby jolly47roger » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:23 pm

Talky-toaster maps are based on Open Street Map : there are other maps based on OS Opendata that have much better topographical detail with more streams, woods and individual buildings. Not quite 1:25000 but more detailed than 1:50000 and a fraction of the price.
jolly47roger
Mountaineer

Postby rockhopper » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:57 pm

jolly47roger wrote:..... and a fraction of the price.

The talky toaster maps to which I referred earlier in the thread are free. Haven't used it but I think talky toaster also does an all British isles map with look/feel of 1:50,000 with one off at £11. Personally I'd prefer looking at a map and would think that when getting down 1:25,000 detail level a small gps screen would maybe not show a big enough area to be of use ? - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby ratatoskr » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:35 pm

GPSTest is pretty cool. standing in my backyard i get about 20 readings in Status mode. since they're satellites i can't imagine that the readings would be that much worse out in the hills. makes me wonder what then is the problem finding location when i'm out there. Google Earth is useless, Google Maps not much better, OS Maps is pretty iffy. wtf?
ratatoskr
Ambler

Postby crfishwick » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:43 pm

ratatoskr wrote:interesting suggestion. thank you. i've always wondered why GPS on my phone was so dodgy.

Because they are not as reliable as a dedicated GPS! Waiting to be contradicted. :lol: Similarly a phone sometimes cannot receive nor send messages! A Satellite phone is / was the best. Contradiction coming again. :lol:
crfishwick

Postby Ben Nachie » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:59 pm

ratatoskr wrote:GPSTest is pretty cool. standing in my backyard i get about 20 readings in Status mode. since they're satellites i can't imagine that the readings would be that much worse out in the hills. makes me wonder what then is the problem finding location when i'm out there. Google Earth is useless, Google Maps not much better, OS Maps is pretty iffy. wtf?

A-ha!
From what you say I'm guessing that the apps that you use all need a 3G signal to download the maps. In the hills this is pretty hopeless. You need apps that have the map data pre-loaded on the phone, such as OsmAnd, or you take the time to pre-load the data for OSmaps or Google Maps (both those apps allow you to save sections of map on your phone).
Ben Nachie
Munro compleatist

Postby ratatoskr » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:58 pm

yes, quite possible that i was unknowingly depending on 3G connectivity for the map apps.

can anyone verify that your average smartphone can get a GPS lock while 3G is unavailable?

i guess another way to ask that is does your average smartphone _always_ depend on 3G (for whatever reason) when it comes to GPS? it seems to me that they could well be separate and independent functions, or they could just as easily be interdependent (again, for whatever reason).

i'll be testing this myself next time i'm out now that i have GPSTest to check, but it would be good to hear what other folks have experienced.

on another note, anyone tried the GBOpen offering(s) from the-thorns.org.uk? site says "Garmin-compatible GMAP format". sounds like these are inexpensive, hand-tweaked vector maps largely based on OS's OpenData and the OSM product. could be a good thing.
ratatoskr
Ambler

Postby jolly47roger » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:47 am

The GPS signal is independent of 3G/4G/WiFi service - although some devices use these latter to speed up the initial calculation of a position ("AGPS").

So any smartphone and most (but not all) tablets will locate you whether there is cellular service or not. Indeed, switching to Airplane mode is a good way to extend the battery life if you are out for a day's hike.
jolly47roger
Mountaineer

Postby ratatoskr » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:51 am

well, the implication i take from your suggestion is that GPS is active in airplane mode. can that be right? *heads out into garden with phone in hand*

yup, it's true! GPS can be fully active -- tested via GPSTest -- while the phone is in airplane mode. wow! hadn't expected that.

thank you. every day is a good day if you learn something that matters to you.
ratatoskr
Ambler

Postby gaffr » Wed Jul 25, 2018 5:49 pm

Being a new user of the new phones....only a few weeks now. Probably known by many around here .....but I'll relay it anyway. I have just discovered the OS Locate app. that can be installed....six figure refs, altitude,electronic compass and more. Makes the MM maps or the OS maps uploaded to the phone perhaps a bit more useful?
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby Khal » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:34 am

Hi, I use the view ranger app on my iPhone. All you need to do is download the maps at home, then you won’t need to use your internet out in the hills. You can buy tiles of the area you wish to go. It’s simple to plan routes and change as and when you need to. Also GB maps app is very good, they have the best looking maps which give a good indication of the steepness of the hills with birds eye view. Their maps are cheap as well
If you want to go down the gps route you could always get a garmin from that famous online bidding site. I bought garmin topo for the whole of GB 1:25 and 1:50k for my garmin Oregon 700 for £35.
You’ll get better battery life and accuracy with a garmin but I found it easier to use my iPhone for changing routes as and when needed. Plus the phone has a bigger and better screen, simpler to scroll and zoom. You could always carry a power bank. I use a 10000mAh which easily lasts 3-4 days.
Khal
Scrambler

Postby auldal » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:51 am

Another App for android phone is "maverick" only this one is free to download all maps, you just scroll over the area you are going to be in and it is automatically stored in memory for use when you are off line
auldal
Rock-climber

Munros:255   Corbetts:6
Donalds:1

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk