walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

camera cases

camera cases

Postby theduksguts » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:43 pm

Hi folks , about to buy a Nikon DSLR camera , it will be my first proper camera.

Was wondering what all you photographers use to keep your gear safe while inside your rucksack ?
A lot of the cases/bags I've seen look very bulky.
Any recommendations be appreciated

Thanks
theduksguts
Munro compleatist

Munros:66   

Re: camera cases

Postby Skyelines » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:10 pm

Basically you need a bit of padding to protect the camera from knocks on hard objects and something to keep the water out.

You could wrap the camera in a suitably sized microfiber cloth/towel and put it in a dry bag.
Skyelines
Wanderer

Postby theduksguts » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:43 pm

Ye Im gonna be pretty nervous about taking it up the hills. Adding more weight to my pack as well :lol: after trying to shed loads :?
theduksguts
Munro compleatist

Postby Border Reiver » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:59 am

theduksguts wrote:Ye Im gonna be pretty nervous about taking it up the hills. Adding more weight to my pack as well :lol: after trying to shed loads :?

After years of using DSLR's it was the weight and bulk factor, as well as advancing years that made me go for smaller cameras. I now have a totally waterproof, drop-proof, freeze-proof one that I carry in my pocket. I also have a high-end, small point and shoot that has most of the functions of a DSLR and a 15x zoom lens. To protect that I use a Lowepro case that has its own pull-out waterproof cover.
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Munros:202   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:69   Islands:33

Postby tweedledog » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:01 am

I have a Nikon D3200 which routinely has an 18-300 zoom attached. Quite a heavy combination!. I have a Lowepro padded case for it which has a removable shoulder strap and a fitting allowing it to be attached to a belt. I have sometimes attached it to the hip belt on my pack, but generally find it better to support it on the shoulder strap diagonally across my chest, camera against my hip. This means I can get at it without having to stop and delve into the pack. The Lowepro is waterproof up to a point, but in steady rain I put it into the pack. One problem though. If you slip and fall on the camera - as I have on a slippery hillside - the Lowepro protects the camera but leaves you with a painful and bruised hip.I guess I've got accustomed to the weight over the years though I can certainly appreciate the attraction of something small enough to be pocketed..
tweedledog
Wanderer

Postby Gareth Harper » Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:15 pm

I have lugged my Canon 5D and a couple of lenses up hills in the past.

I now use a CSC, it’s a Panasonic GH3. I carry two lenses, a 12-35f2.8 (135 24-70 equivalent) and a 7-14mm (14-28 equivalent). Total weight comes in under 1.5kg. Been using these for a few years now – they are pretty tough.

Osprey make a nice protective bag - https://www.ospreyeurope.com/shop/gb_en/accessories/camera-bags I use a similar bag, spare lens is just in simple lens pouch.

Also have a Panasonic LX100 compact camera for when I want to save even more weight. Though first time I had it up a hill I smashed the screen – whoops. Just as well it also has a viewfinder.
Gareth Harper

Munros:204   Corbetts:83
Fionas:26   Donalds:50
Sub 2000:6   

Postby theduksguts » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:44 pm

Thanks for that guys , I will check out those Lowepro cases ,
theduksguts
Munro compleatist

Postby Skyelines » Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:46 pm

If you go for one of the Lowepro toploader cases you can also get the chest harness for it which allows you to carry the camera in front. This makes it readily available and you can also put on and take off your rucsac without tangling in camera case straps.
If you have a baggy waterproof top then it could fit over you and the camera. :)

Only down side is it could get in the way if steep scrambling is required.

I have this set up and it works quite well. Not cheap (shop around) but well made and robust.
Skyelines
Wanderer

Postby theduksguts » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:04 pm

I think after doing a bit more research maybe a DLSR is not for me and a bridge or compact would be much more manageable out on the hills.
theduksguts
Munro compleatist

Postby Will N To » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:43 pm

Hi,
I just schlepped a Nikon D850 all over the UK and Ireland, 28-300mm lens and a 17-35mm Tokina. (I'm sure the Canons are about the same, don't know about any others) I'm an old professional photographer who really wanted, but didn't need a full frame DSLR. Cost a lot, heavier than a concrete-block. It's a very durable camera, near waterproof. I think unless you're a working pro, this camera is overkill. My previous Nikon the D7200, smaller frame size, lighter; does all the basic things the D850 does at about 1/4 the price.I didn't do anything on my recent three month trip that I couldn't have done with the 7200. Of course in lowlight, any decent DSLR can do what no smart phone camera can do. The D7200 got completely soaked in Japan a couple of years ago. Took a week to fully dry out, seems to have survived it. My cases? The short answer is you don't really need one. In a backpack, padded, dry-bag, mostly to keep dust off the lens. Should be fine. In Japan I figured out how to use my old OR Strap as a holster, I'd sling the strap over my left shoulder, under my right, then I'd insert the lens into the loop made by the strap from the padded neck part to the camera body. I recently bought a new OR strap (I've not found a better one), but the webbing straps to the body were too short, so I made longer ones.)
I found this to be a great way to carry the camera without it banging around, it was always at hand. Riding a bicycle, I could swing the lens up and photograph people coming at me on their bikes. For my last trip I tried to make my own holster, but gave up and bought a Case Logic DSH-102 Luminosity Medium DSLR Holster (Black). It worked out well. To use it as a holster, I ran its strap over my left shoulder, or I just hung the bag from my backpack strap. One mod I made: I inserted a piece of 1/16" (1.75mm)piano wire--very stiff into the zipper seam just below the teeth. I did this so the opening would keep it's shape. Pain to insert but worked great. A bonus was that it helped pulling the zipper closed. I intend to insert another piece of wire in the lid. I carry it 'backwards' meaning the lid is away from me. This way blowing spray is blocked by the lid. One thing that's a problem is the extension part on the bottom for longer lenses is too soft, so it makes slide in and slide out a pain. It could use some stiffening, maybe a thin plastic insert rolled up inside. I lost my 17-35mm lens somewhere along the way. I found it a bit of a hassle changing lenses and it didn't really have a Place (your sleeping bag has a place, somewhere inside or outside your pack, your wallet, keys, passport, etc have a Place meaning specific, automatic, reliable, secure. So I set the lens in its pouch down somewhere between New Castle and Belfast. (If you have a second lens, have a Place, on your belt, and inside your pack and day-bag where a tether clips to something so you always know where it is, and where it's stored. That is if you ever lose stuff.)
The Case Logic Holster wasn't too expensive $25US, served its purpose better than what I was trying to make. It's not 'waterproof' but it's close (as are many of the DSLRs now), it's got a rain cover. I used it maybe twice. Attach a string and tiny carabiner to it so you don't lose it. Nikon lens caps over about 75mm (diameter) are absolute crap and will pop off for almost no reason. I epoxied a loop of wire to the fronts and attached shock cord with a tiny carabiner at the end. I also epoxied velcro, use as big a patch as you can, my small patches didn't hold well. If I was really going out to shoot , I attach the holster's top D-ring to my day bag and the bottom zipper string to the bottom somewhere (this keeps it at a diagonal), I'd then remove my camera strap, except for one side. This would be clipped to the holster carabiner. The camera would have a two foot tether. Let me know if you'd like to see a photo of any of this and I'll put them up. (Two years ago in Japan in one of the big electronic stores I had my son take my photo of me with my iPhone attached to a lanyard around my neck. I was standing in the middle of the smartphone case dept. Only the 2-3 waterproof bags had lanyards. I just checked Amazon and smart phone lanyards are everywhere. No one stole my idea, very few people noticed mine in the four years I've done this and most were students who wanted to make sure I knew how stupid it looked. The only thing keeping camera holsters from going viral is cameras are getting smaller and those clip-on things I've seen wedding photogs using might be an even better idea. A smaller camera for backpacking is usually the better idea. If you get one that shoots RAW files, you can do most of what you can do with a DSLR (except perhaps action, fleeting facial expressions).
Will N To
Scrambler

Postby giuliapeddi » Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:46 pm

You can look at mirrorless cameras, if you want to be able to change lenses. Sony, Fuji and Panasonic are currently the best players with Sony having the best "affordable" options; Canon is starting to catch up; Nikon I admittedly have no idea. You can get a good camera+lens setup for <500g.

If you're ok letting go of interchangeable lenses, many UL backpackers like the Sony RX100's and Canon G7X or similar.

Take your time to research this stuff well, it really all depends on what your goals are.
giuliapeddi
Scrambler

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk