walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

hat recommendation please

hat recommendation please

Postby Runci21 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:24 am

hi all.
I am looking to buy a hat for use when walking to try to keep the sun off my head and face. I have used baseball caps in the past but looking for something better that's breathable and will also keep sun off my neck.

thanks in advance
Runci21
Mountaineer

Munros:82   Corbetts:4
Donalds:7
Sub 2000:10   
Islands:6

Re: hat recommendation please

Postby Caberfeidh » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:36 am

Caps are available with a cloth which hangs down the back and protects the neck from sun. Failing that a sombrero would have been suitable recently. A wide-brimmed felt hat as sported by Indiana Jones does admirably but tends to catch the wind. I have an Australian Akubra which did just that in 2005; I believe it is still rolling around on Rannoch Moor somewhere, frightening sheep. The Toorie Bunnet as defined by Tom Weir is fine as it holds onto the head well in a gale but fails utterly in sunny weather. Bush hats, Trapper hats with long neck and ear flaps, turbans, Pith Helmets. berets, Tam O'Shanter bunnets with or without regimental badges and feathers, all are good in their own way but fail in other ways. I'm afraid you'll need to take a selection of hats and head-dresses to suit every occasion.

ww2_ymca2#2.jpg
Hat selection
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Ben Nachie » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:17 am

I have a cap with a neck cloth as described by Caberfeidh. They are made by 'Highlander' I seem to remember. I also have a bush hat made by Driza-Bone. The same hat is also marketed under the Toggi brand. Neither are particularly breathable. The bush hat is probably the cooler one, but is bigger and less rucksack friendly.
Lots of people swear by Tilley hats.
Ben Nachie
Munro compleatist

Postby CyberianK » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:28 am

I have a beanie for warmth and a light brimmed UV hat for sun protection.

I can't think of something that works as good for both purposes. The problem is you don't want a warm thing in the sun. But as both are made from some light Polyester mix I have no problem carrying both. For rain I use the hood from my shell when its cold with the beanie below.
CyberianK
Scrambler

Postby jmarkb » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:44 am

Caberfeidh wrote:Caps are available with a cloth which hangs down the back and protects the neck from sun.

Paramo make one: see https://www.paramo-clothing.com/en-gb/explore-range/product/?pk=42CA8204-FA4D-47BC-8E15-99ECFE70075A
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Jon and Jen » Mon Jul 23, 2018 11:34 am

I wear a Bush hat with chin strap for windy days. Picked it up in mountain warehouse clearance for £3. Serves me well.
Jon and Jen
Mountain Walker

Munros:37   Corbetts:7
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:7   

Postby Caberfeidh » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:11 pm

You could try weaving your own to suit your needs, maybe it will catch on and you'll be the Next Big Thing...

threestorms.jpg
Hats ~ make your own to suit...
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Ben Nachie » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:10 pm

I do also own one of these-

b146522fb6d700f9d4a3901c8e243cf2.jpg
Heilan coo hat. Camouflage!

Good for stealth camping...
Ben Nachie
Munro compleatist

Postby Runci21 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:29 pm

Thanks for the help guys, ended up buying a sealskinz trail hat.
Runci21
Mountaineer

Munros:82   Corbetts:4
Donalds:7
Sub 2000:10   
Islands:6

Postby Sgurr » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:31 pm

Oh, you are a guy then. My friend and I separately googled "wide brimmed, cotton hat with chin strap" and both ended up with something very similar to each other (different brands)...but I guess you won't be in the market for them. Mine is pale blue, but you can get any colour including pink.

Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Will N To » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:37 pm

Costco. Japan the US and probably the UK too. They have wide brim hats that are about $15US. When I was in Japan, I'd already lost two hats by the time my son said let's go to the Yokohama Costco. I figured if I bought two at once, I'd never lose them. And I didn't until my last two days in England.... (that's a goose feather in that hat you found in Canterbury...) I've had Tilly's, very pricey, sure they'll replace them for free if you lose it, but $40 in shipping? How free is that? The cheap Costco hats did everything the Tilly's did.
Also I couldn't find a 600 hole-per-square-inch bug net that fit over the wide brim, so I sewed up my own. The shock cord under the arm pits is a great feature I stole from Ben's. Apparently while I was in the UK and Ireland, global warming went full time, it was always 23° and there were only 14 midges and I killed four of them. So the wide brim really came in handy. And always give 'em a spray of permethrin. I wore the mesh once just to try it out, but I could wave it around in the car if a few midges got in and it would either kill'em, slow'em down or scare them off.
A back flap is a really nice feature if you can get it. And get used to the string around your neck, then you can pop your hat on and off, wear it in the wind.
Will N To
Scrambler

Postby mrssanta » Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:42 pm

Will n To we haven't seen your trip report yet..???
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby boony » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:52 pm

If your feeling like treating yourself, I recomment a Tilley

boony
Bird-watcher

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk