walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Need advice on a new tent

Re: Need advice on a new tent

Postby Khal » Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:11 pm

Been reading up about the southern cross most say the 1 person is to small and they both suffer from condensation if there’s no breeze.
Confusing is an understatement!!! :crazy:
The way things are going I might just end up buying a tarp to attach to my lil nordisk. Just wish my tent had a semblance of a vestibule - only good enough for boots and cooking in- just.
A mate recommended I get a vango Makalu 2. But it seems too much tent for me. Way to heavy for what it offers.
Khal
Scrambler

Postby giuliapeddi » Sat Jul 28, 2018 4:27 pm

Condensation doesn't happen in all conditions and the SC is designed as a 4-season tent, which doesn't want to let any weather in, whereas in 3 seasons conditions some ventilation and partial openness is a good thing. So it could be that the people who didn't get condensation had dry enough conditions that it wouldn't have been a problem in any tent.

I think you might be getting too caught up in the cooking in the vestibule issue. I've never looked for "fire-retardant" as an important feature in a tent fabric. As long as you use a windscreen and keep a pot on the stove most of the time, you should be fine. I think only very high heat would damage the fabric - so keeping the open flame too close to the end of the vestibule is what you don't wanna do. The air above the stove is what gets hottest but if the pot is on top, it should be fine. Vapour is not hot enough to do any damage. Also, if this is your only concern, just shoot them an email and ask how big of a problem it would be.
giuliapeddi
Scrambler

Postby Hola » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:26 am

..........Sent you a PM, Khal........
Hola
Scrambler

Postby Khal » Sun Jul 29, 2018 12:51 pm

Hi Hola got your pm :D thanks
To be honest I’m still really interested in the niak it seems to fit my requirements, but Im going to view one next weekend so I’ll have a better idea by then. Also I’ve been researching the Vaude invenio - which looks really interesting.
The problem with me is that I’ve always bought Scandinavian tents- so I’m used to their weight and spaciousness. They all seem to have condensation no matter the weather- or is it I’m a heavy breather :shock:. So unless a tent really shines I’ll most likely be buying another Hilli or Fjällräven. My main criteria is I def want an all in one pitch. Especially after being caught out in a heavy downpour in my nordisk.
Khal
Scrambler

Postby Hola » Sun Jul 29, 2018 1:59 pm

Fair enough Khal, but when you get to view the Niak, check carefully .

I bought one and sent it back the next day.

Gorgeous tent, well made and spacious.

When you open up the zip completely, look down directly to the inner....The top of the zip is directly above it so when it is raining and you open up, guess where the rain will go.!!!...thats why I returned it....its not offset....

Also, whereas the Unna has vents and the porch door is half rip stop for draught protection, the Niak's door is all mesh......

Just a few thoughts to bear in mind.....Many more useful features on the Unna and its cheaper...

Best of luck..
Hola
Scrambler

Postby thatweebirdie » Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:52 pm

Khal wrote:. Also I’ve been researching the Vaude invenio - which looks really interesting.

If it's half as good as the Vaude Hogan UL, you'll not go far wrong. Mine is second hand and had been very well used before I inherited it from a friend (who's 6ft 4, by the way!) and it is still going strong.

Good luck with your search!
thatweebirdie
Hill Bagger

Munros:1   
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:7   

Postby Khal » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:01 pm

thatweebirdie wrote:
Khal wrote:. Also I’ve been researching the Vaude invenio - which looks really interesting.

If it's half as good as the Vaude Hogan UL, you'll not go far wrong. Mine is second hand and had been very well used before I inherited it from a friend (who's 6ft 4, by the way!) and it is still going strong.

Good luck with your search!

Wow that sounds really positive. I’ve sent VAUDE a message to get more info about both the Taurus and invenio pros and cons. Both tents look good the Taurus being lighter and smaller seems to make more sense to me. But what do I know :crazy:
Cheaper and lighter then the naik so a win win
On eBay I saw a sphaerio on offer for about £540. Seems like a bargain but too much tent for my needs
Khal
Scrambler

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk