walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Altberg Tethera - leder gris on all leather parts?

Altberg Tethera - leder gris on all leather parts?

Postby ronrubble » Mon Aug 06, 2018 12:49 pm

Potentially stupid question

I recently bought a pair of Altberg Tethera hillwalking boots which I'm still breaking in. They seem great so far, really value being able to get them in an extra-wide fit.

I'm looking to treat them with the recommended Leder Gris original wax-oil stuff, but I'm not sure if I'm supposed to treat the whole boot, or just the darker stiffer leather. There is softer leather in the gusseting of the tongue and around the cuff - am I supposed to wax this stuff as well?
ronrubble
Mountain Walker

Munros:30   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:9   
Wainwrights:2   Islands:8

Re: Altberg Tethera - leder gris on all leather parts?

Postby RocksRock » Mon Aug 06, 2018 3:49 pm

I use their Malham boots and I operate on the basis "If it is leather put leder gis on it". tongue, gussets and all

Atberg didn't tell me otherwise when I went to the factory shop to have them re-soled! :D
RocksRock

Munros:4   Corbetts:7
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:26   Islands:8

Postby Driftwood » Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:09 pm

As a long-term Altberg-wearer, I also wax and polish all of the leather bits. Although I concentrate on the parts that are most exposed to heather, grit and other wear - mostly the areas that start out as darker, harder leather. And admittedly I sometimes just polish those, without taking off the laces to get at the tongue and area behind them, if it's just a quick touch-up.

Polishing, even with the clear leder gris, will tend to darken paler areas of the boot, such as the soft cuffs on Tethera, Fremingtons etc, so they won't look as new, but they last well for me.
Driftwood
Mountain Walker

Munros:244   Corbetts:60
Fionas:35   Donalds:27+23
Sub 2000:19   

Postby ronrubble » Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:35 am

Thanks both for the feedback.

I'll set about applying to all external leather areas. I'm not too worried about changing the colour of the softer bits around the gusseting and tongue, I just didn't want to damage anything!
ronrubble
Mountain Walker

Munros:30   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:9   
Wainwrights:2   Islands:8

Postby weesmudge » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:31 pm

Been reading the replies. I also have a pair of altberg the kisdon model is it best to use leder gis or is graingers that I have in the shed just as good.
TIA
Chris
weesmudge
Munro compleatist

Munros:134   Corbetts:4

Postby Driftwood » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:34 pm

weesmudge wrote:Been reading the replies. I also have a pair of altberg the kisdon model is it best to use leder gis or is graingers that I have in the shed just as good.
TIA
Chris

I've no experience with Grangers' wax yet (have always used Altberg's own Leder Gris so far). But I do have a tin of Granger's G-wax lined up to use next and, from what I've read, that should also do a good job on leather.

The nubuck leather on the Kisdon (or other boots such as the Nordkapp that I'm using lately) will be changed if polished with Leder Gris or similar. That effectively closes it up to a darker full grain leather experience. That's easier to keep clean and sheds water better, so an obvious choice for me, but worth mentioning in case you don't know to expect it already.
Driftwood
Mountain Walker

Munros:244   Corbetts:60
Fionas:35   Donalds:27+23
Sub 2000:19   

Postby davekeiller » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:29 pm

Granger's or Nikwax is *probably* about as good. They're all supposed to be formulated to do the same thing to the same material. However, Alt-berg claim that Leder-gris is specially formulated for the leathers they use and is the best thing to use on their boots, so if you use something else you might be on a sticky wicket regarding a warranty claim if your boots lost waterproofness.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby davekeiller » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:09 pm

Postscript to the above comment.
I've just had a look on the Altberg website and Ledergris is in fact made by Grangers. I'd therefore be surprised if their normal wax was sufficiently different that it would make much difference (although that's a guess, so try it at your own risk).
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk