walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Windstopper

Windstopper

Postby jamiecopeland » Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:51 am

Is a single Windstopper garment a good idea for windy conditions or is more layers the better choice?
jamiecopeland

Re: Windstopper

Postby mynthdd2 » Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:10 pm

I would go for a base layer too? I find windstopper stuff a bit sweaty so would welcome the chance to take it off
mynthdd2
Munro compleatist

Islands:34

Postby Sack the Juggler » Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:39 pm

jamiecopeland wrote:Is a single Windstopper garment a good idea for windy conditions or is more layers the better choice?

the answer is, as ever, it depends on the weather! If its a warm day, but windy, then any lightweight wind proof jacket / top over a baselayer should be ok, If its getting chilly and your fleece isn't windproof them a lightweight wind proof over it will help, but as mynthdd2 points out, windstopper fabric tends to be not very breathable, so I'd probably use something else and there are loads to chose from.

So going back to your original question, more layers, less "windstopper" more breathable windproof.
Sack the Juggler
Ambler

Postby rabthecairnterrier » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:37 pm

I'd forget Windstopper and get a Pertex windshell - lots available, lighter, more packable and more breathable. Will extend the life of the expensive hardshell waterproof if you only use the latter when it's actually raining.
rabthecairnterrier
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:180
Fionas:129   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:86   Hewitts:110
Wainwrights:56   Islands:41

Postby scoob999 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:47 pm

I use this all year round https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/mammut-ultimate-hoody-mens-p289259 except on really hot days, all winter too with just a baselayer underneath
Expensive but for me anyway worth every penny :D
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk