walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Re-waterproofing boots

Re-waterproofing boots

Postby Weekend Wanderer » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:23 pm

My 4 year old Meindl Bhutans are taking water in like a sieve . No holes or tears in the leather uppers as well which would cause this. I have always been pro active in cleaning them and applying a waterproofing cream after every trip as well .
Can anyone please suggest anything to rectify the problem or are the boots at the end of their life usage?
Cheers :)
Weekend Wanderer

Re: Re-waterproofing boots

Postby jmarkb » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:28 pm

Do they have a Goretex liner? If so, it's probably failed after 4 years, and therefore time to replace them, unfortunately.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Sack the Juggler » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:36 pm

Weekend Wanderer wrote:My 4 year old Meindl Bhutans are taking water in like a sieve . No holes or tears in the leather uppers as well which would cause this. I have always been pro active in cleaning them and applying a waterproofing cream after every trip as well .
Can anyone please suggest anything to rectify the problem or are the boots at the end of their life usage?
Cheers :)

The Meindl Bhutans are a great boot (I've had several pairs of Meindl). They have a goretex lining to keep them waterproof, rather than having to keep waxing the leather, so if your boots are leaking it is probably the goretex lining that has gone.

It might be worth sending them back to Meindl to have a look at as the goretex lining should last longer than 4 years. They are expensive boots so Meindl may be able to fix them?

It looks like Bramwell are the official UK distributors for them, so you can try contacting them in the first instance

https://www.bramwell-int.co.uk/contact/

and if that doesn't work, try emailing Meindl directly at serviceteam@meindl.de
Sack the Juggler
Ambler

Postby Weekend Wanderer » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:07 pm

Thanks for the quick replies .
I never even considered it was the goretex liner that might be gubbed.i got them for 180 quid . Best money I ever spent on boots
Will consider my next move.
Thanks again guys, appreciated.
Weekend Wanderer

Postby davekeiller » Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:10 pm

I suspect that the goretex is worn out and the boots are approaching the end of their life.
One thing you could try is filling the boots with water and seeing where the water runs out to find out where the leaks are.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk