walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Newbie equipment advice

Newbie equipment advice

Postby Baggingbluetooner » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:41 pm

Looking for advice on what is really needed for munro bagging

As it stands me and my better half do a bit of walking but no munros as of yet and really want to start bagging some soon.

What are the essentials for bagging munros? we have decent hiking boots and jackets but would like suggestions on what other kit we should look to buy.

thanks
Baggingbluetooner
Mountain Walker

Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Newbie equipment advice

Postby spiderwebb » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:44 am

easiest way for me to advise is to tell you what's in my rucksack for a standard day, not winter.

Rucksack. Berghaus Freeflow 38 + 8
Waterproof jacket: Berghaus Mera Peak
Waterproof Trousers: Rab Event
Windproof jacket (not waterproof)
Insulated jacket: Montane Prism (I think)
Gloves + spare set ( when one gets too wet)
Mittens. Fleece with Goretex outer (for when the gloves no longer keep the hands warm or for winter)
Bivvy bag, emergency plastic bag.
Map & compass (Map case)
Spare compass
GPS
Head Torch + spare torch
Spare batteries for torches and GPS
Beanie hat
Water purification tablets (not used often)
Drink and food
Camera
Mobile phone

I'll be wearing a base layer long sleeve, trousers (Montane or Rab or Haglofs depending on the weather, time of year), and a fleece top/jumper.

In winter I may also wear a thermal base layer, take a warmer insulated jacket, snow goggles, crampons, ice axe. Winter boots with Yeti gaiters.

Route will be plotted on the GPS (key waypoints using the GPS Planner on this site) also marked on the map in pencil.

and a whole load of memories :D
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby walkingpoles » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:44 pm

As long as you start out easy, you don't need a lot more. The most important pieces of equipment are sensible boots and a jacket, which you already have.

I m of the "if cold, walk faster" and "light means fast" kind. You'll find out soon enough what works for you.

My pack list for easy stuff in non-winter
Map and compass
A4 copy of map in trouser pocket
Phone with viewranger app
Tape for mending blisters
Dry pair of socks for the train journey back
Gaiters if expecting bad weather or river crossings
Sun screen and hat
Extra layer for breaks
Emergency blanket
Waterproof for the backpack
Pet bottle with water, fair share of chocolate and a sandwich.

If there are patches of snow or chilly temperatures, I bring a bonnet and gloves along. If the snow is wet or if there is rain, I don't wear the gloves so that they stay dry for later.

Torch if there is a risk to end up in darkness
Fluorescent arm band if there is a risk to end up walking along a road in darkness

As preparation read some walk reports or get a guide book.
walkingpoles
Stravaiging

Munros:218   Corbetts:6
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:8

Postby AHillTooFar » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:48 pm

In my limited experience a munro is no difference than any other hill, just a few metres more above sea level and meets certain criteria. Some munros have a car park near their base and a nice path up to the top, others not so much.

If you are used to walking then perhaps you will be fine as you are. Only thing to really think about is how long and far do you normally walk.

A big enough backpack to carry all you need or want. Fluids are important, I always want spare (I don't mind the weight). Walking poles are a personal choice although I never leave without them.

Obviously a map and compass is essential even if for myself it is mainly to look up names of what surrounds me.
AHillTooFar
Mountaineer

Munros:29   Corbetts:14
Fionas:4   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Caberfeidh » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:20 am

Big thick woolly socks; knee-length socks which have padded toes, soles and heels. They are expensive but well worth it. Take packets of paper hankies, they are very versatile.Lip balm sticks. Gloves, even on fine days the wind can be very cold on the hands. Sunglasses or ski goggles; wind in the eyes and very strong sunlight can be a negative influence on an otherwise good day. Toorie bunnet/ headscarf/ snood, scarf, whatever you prefer; something to protect the head and neck from cold wind or strong sun. A 1 litre flask for hot drinks - oxo cubes make a nice beef tea.You don't need to spend lots of money on designer stuff; a pair of special hillwalking trousers are expensive but a pair of tracksuit trousers are less than twenty quid and you wont despair when they get muddy and torn. Decathlon is a very good shop for hillwalking kit which wont break the bank. You are better to attend their shop in person as the sizing is a bit different so if you just order online you will likely need to change it for a different size. www.decathlon.co.uk

Trousers#r.jpg
Ooo-er missus !
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Baggingbluetooner » Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:18 pm

some good advice so far,

we tend to go on 4-5 walks as it is but mostly flat and nothing major. ben rinnes in moray or oxen craig ( bennachie ) are often favourites as ok hike to summit and both have paths you can do do up to 9 mile hikes or more.

have good north face jacket , sunglasses , ski goggles , boots.
just invested in poles. I only carry about a 25 litre rucksack at the moment so may invest in a slightly larger one for carrying extra water/food/layers and either a emergency blanket or bivvy.

never carry head torch but do have so will put that in as well. definitely going to start off easy and progress so its a smooth learning curve!
Baggingbluetooner
Mountain Walker

Postby AHillTooFar » Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:42 pm

Ben Rinnes might have a car park close to it and a path but it is quite steep as these go. if you can manage that you can manage plenty. Broad cairn through glen Muick would be a good one, Mount Keen via glen Tanar another or carn an tuirc/ carn of claise via Glen Callater to start with. Based on what few I have been up and proximity to where you may have access.

Obviously the days are drawing shorter and temperatures falling but I reckon you have what you need. If you ever feel unprepared just turn back, hills are not going anywhere.
AHillTooFar
Mountaineer

Munros:29   Corbetts:14
Fionas:4   Donalds:9
Sub 2000:1   

Postby Baggingbluetooner » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:03 pm

think the plan is when me and the misses is of together next ( overlapping work times ) we are going to either tackle the cairnwell munros or cairngorm, both are decent day trips for us. She would like to do lochnagar but want to take her on a few more hikes before then.

ben rinnes is a favourite hike , especially in the winter snow !
Baggingbluetooner
Mountain Walker

Postby Runci21 » Mon Aug 27, 2018 9:49 am

I am also new to hiking and am still fine tuning what to carry.

I have a berghaus 35 litre backpack, berghaus goretex paclite trousers and jacket, seal skinz gloves and beanie, spare socks, micro fleece and base layer in rucksack liner, first aid kid, multitool, head torch and spare batteries, spare laces,
map, route guide, compass, gps. 2 litre bladder in rucksack and filter water bottle for filling up on longer routes. food and energy gels and snacks, water proof matches, whistle.
also wear correct clothing for wicking sweat away.

list might change once weather gets a bit colder.
Runci21
Mountaineer

Munros:82   Corbetts:4
Donalds:7
Sub 2000:10   
Islands:6

Postby Sack the Juggler » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:16 pm

loads of good advice there, the main thing is to be prepared for the weather to change and what that will mean for your walk. Monros are mountains, some are easier than others, but they should all be respected nonetheless.

It might start out sunny at sea level, but by the time you have got up to the summit, your in cloud and its windy and raining, or vice versa. So have clothes that can be added to or removed as you go.

I always carry waterproofs on long hill walks as it can change so quickly up on the hills, so I bought them as light as possible as they spend most of the time in my backpack until I need them.

A good light windproof can make the difference between an ok day on the hills and a great day, by stopping the windchill without making you feel too hot.

Likewise a good insulating layer in case its cold up there (thickness will depend on the time of year!)

I like to carry a couple of litres of water if I'm doing a long walk, and I've recently bought a katadyn befree bottle for getting water off the hill if I need more.

Hat, gloves, buff, sunnies, suncream, midge spray, torch (for when the hill takes longer than you thought), whistle (for emergencies), etc.

Snacks for when you run out of energy (or before).

One of the things that you need to be aware of is the disorienting effect that low cloud / fog / mist can have on the hills. Its easy to navigate when you can see the path / features around you, less so when you can suddenly only see a few meters around you, so I would definitely take a map and compass up there with you and the skills to use them, especially if there are steep drops to be avoided.

If I know there will be boggy ground then I'll normally take gaiters, but most don't bother.

I'm a convert to walking poles, I use them to push forward on the flat or uphill, and to take some of the weight off my knees when coming downhill. I'm probably not using them right, and because they really give my arms a work out then I use up a lot more energy when using them, but I'd rather have slightly tired arms than sore knees on long walks.

A GPS watch to record your journey electronically (if you are so inclined) and a camera to record it digitally (also if you are so inclined), and a mobile phone (in case you need to call for help, rather than for checking facebook).
Sack the Juggler
Ambler

Postby Baggingbluetooner » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:34 pm

thanks for the feedback so far! purchased some new poles , gaiters and just an emergency bivvy on the advice given so far. One thing I am guilty of so far when out hiking is not having a compass or map. usually just used this site in the past for the route and noted it.

But now wanting to take on munro's proper I will invest in one. and a map! which I am guessing will be a long affair of buying for each area. will most likely tackle the easy ones first....... glenshee , cairngorm etc that have well walked path's before venturing out on to the ones that are more remote and less done.

clothing ways I think I am covered after years of snowsports and biking and hiking.
Baggingbluetooner
Mountain Walker

Postby Driftwood » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:45 pm

On the subject of maps, I will suggest the Harveys "Cairngorms and Lochnagar" 1:40000 British Mountain Map, as it covers a lot of the more accessible Munros on that side of the Highlands.
39 Munros in all, though some of those are longer or more challenging walks. But it includes a lot of the hills being discussed; I'll also mention An Socach (the Braemar one) as moderate distance and ascent. There are some decent Corbetts too, if plans change and you want to stay under the weather.
It's a different style to OS maps, intended for clarity on the hill - preferences vary, but a lot of walkers like them. And they're pretty tough and waterproof, while being much less bulky than the OS Active series.
Driftwood
Mountain Walker

Munros:244   Corbetts:60
Fionas:35   Donalds:27+23
Sub 2000:19   

Postby rabthecairnterrier » Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:13 pm

I'd second Sack the Juggler's advice about the usefulness of lightweight windproof jackets.They are invaluable on breezy days when you need to cut the wind but would overheat in even the best breathable waterproof. Also, if you only wear your expensive waterproof when it's actually raining ( or really blowing a hooley) it will last one hell of a lot longer.

There is a theory that stuff expands to fill the capacity of whatever size of rucksack you happen to have. I take the opposite view, that it's better to have a slightly larger sack not filled to capacity, as it leaves room to rummage around inside - if the weather's bad you don't want to have to unpack everything to get at that one item that has worked its way down to the bottom of the pack. I tend to use a 35 litre sack most of the year and 45 in winter.

As for map and compass - absolutely essential, but of no use unless you learn how to use them properly - go on a course, or find someone more experienced who is happy to teach you the basics. Then practice lots. The basic techniques are easy; the hard part is having the confidence to apply them in poor conditions and know it will work, which is something that only comes with experience.
rabthecairnterrier
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:180
Fionas:129   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:86   Hewitts:110
Wainwrights:56   Islands:41

Postby jassinc » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:41 pm

I would start with good comfy boots and a good set of waterproofs and gaiters, then you can pick up the other stuff as you learn what you actually want and will be doing
jassinc
Munro compleatist

Munros:171   

Postby Giant Stoneater » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:53 pm

spiderwebb wrote:easiest way for me to advise is to tell you what's in my rucksack for a standard day, not winter.

Waterproof jacket: Berghaus Mera Peak
Waterproof Trousers: Rab Event
Windproof jacket (not waterproof)
Insulated jacket: Montane Prism (I think)

I'll be wearing a base layer long sleeve, trousers (Montane or Rab or Haglofs depending on the weather, time of year), and a fleece top/jumper. :D

I wonder what you carry in winter, the mind boggles.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk