walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

1 or 2 man tent advice

Re: 1 or 2 man tent advice

Postby weelawser » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:46 am

Yeah, that's a thought, do they come with all mesh inners or is their other options....Guess I should have a look at their website.....I have a pal heading over to the states shortly may be an option and save a few quid !
weelawser
Mountaineer

Postby nick70 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:56 am

weelawser wrote:Yeah, that's a thought, do they come with all mesh inners or is their other options....Guess I should have a look at their website.....I have a pal heading over to the states shortly may be an option and save a few quid !

http://attitude-over-ability.com/tarptent-scarp-1/

Found this review online. It looks like they come in either mesh inner or solid. It looks a fine tent, its just the importing from US that would be an issue. Lucy you if you can get friend to bring over for you. It seems surprising why this company hasn't opened up to European or UK markets.

As I said I would be interested in hearing other members views on these. Everything I've heard/read/seen so far seems vert positive.

I don't think the wife would appreciate me spending any more cash on new tents now lol. It's fast becoming my fetish :shock:
nick70

Postby Mylo73 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:03 pm

I've mentioned it before, but have a look at the Nordisk Halland 2 UL. Extremely roomy 2 person tent with a huge porch - also light enough to be used as a spacious 1 person tent.
Mylo73
Mountaineer

Postby Mylo73 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:10 pm

nick70 wrote:
weelawser wrote:Yeah, that's a thought, do they come with all mesh inners or is their other options....Guess I should have a look at their website.....I have a pal heading over to the states shortly may be an option and save a few quid !

Found this review online. It looks like they come in either mesh inner or solid. It looks a fine tent, its just the importing from US that would be an issue. Lucy you if you can get friend to bring over for you. It seems surprising why this company hasn't opened up to European or UK markets.

As I said I would be interested in hearing other members views on these. Everything I've heard/read/seen so far seems vert positive.

I don't think the wife would appreciate me spending any more cash on new tents now lol. It's fast becoming my fetish :shock:

I had one previously, was bomb-proof. Can't recommend it enough and seriously considering buying another.

Available on Amazon UK (with both solid and mesh interiors) instead of ordering from the States

https://www.amazon . co.uk/Tarptent-Scarp-Tent-Interior-Solid/dp/B01GO9XAW0

https://www.amazon .co.uk/Tarptent-Scarp-Tent-Interior-Mesh/dp/B01GO9KC9E

(remove the spaces)
Mylo73
Mountaineer

Postby nick70 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:32 pm

Mylo73 wrote:
nick70 wrote:

I had one previously, was bomb-proof. Can't recommend it enough and seriously considering buying another.

Available on Amazon UK (with both solid and mesh interiors) instead of ordering from the States

https://www.amazon . co.uk/Tarptent-Scarp-Tent-Interior-Solid/dp/B01GO9XAW0

https://www.amazon .co.uk/Tarptent-Scarp-Tent-Interior-Mesh/dp/B01GO9KC9E

(remove the spaces)

Cheers for that. Always good to know they are available on Amazon. I shall have a look later. Although as I said don't think I will be buying anytime soon, don't think the wife will appreciate me having more tents than limbs lol.
nick70

Postby Scottk » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:37 pm

Hi Nick,
I was lucky enough to find one on eBay. It was used for 1 trip and came with the mesh and solid inners as well as the crossing poles. The guy had stopped hiking due to a back injury. It did take me about 6 months to find it but since I bought mine there have been quite a few for sale.
Scottk
Scrambler

Munros:31   

Postby weelawser » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:13 pm

Folks,
Many thanks for all the advice, Vaude power lizard or Scarp 1 are now top of my list.
Scottk, thanks for the offer, I have already been lucky enough to see a Scarp in the flesh, any one know how rugged they are ? The Scarp is interesting and my finger is hovering just unsure as to how they would hold up over time ?

Cheers,

Paul
weelawser
Mountaineer

Postby Scottk » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:55 pm

Try this link. Robin has written quite a lot about them and also some good tricks you can do.
https://blogpackinglight.wordpress.com/2013/01/04/tarptent-scarp-1-long-term-review/
Scottk
Scrambler

Munros:31   

Postby weelawser » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:29 pm

Cheers, yes found that info the other day, pretty confident i am making the right choice now.
Paul
weelawser
Mountaineer

Postby nick70 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:54 am

Mylo73 wrote:I've mentioned it before, but have a look at the Nordisk Halland 2 UL. Extremely roomy 2 person tent with a huge porch - also light enough to be used as a spacious 1 person tent.

Mylo73, I must have missed this post when you initially put on. Yes I will concur and echo your sentiments entirely regarding this tent. I am lucky enough to get a works bonus each April and this was a tent I treated myself to. Feels lighter than the 1.5Kg and for me at 6 ft 1 also very roomy and spacious with an excellent sized porch/vestibule area.

My only concern was the 2000mm HH for the outer flysheet but I have had this out in the rain and it has held up admirably well. I was lucky enought to get from Tiso with 20% off.

Also one of the easiest tents to erect that I have ever had and always appears very well tensioned and taut where it should be.

Pricey yes, but I thoroughly recommend this tent.
nick70

Postby Bothybob » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:56 pm

Have you considered a MSR Hubba Hubba, great tent , not to heavy, easy to erect and not to expensive
Bothybob

Postby weelawser » Fri Sep 07, 2018 9:34 am

I did Bothybob but i am leaning more towards an outer pitch first,
weelawser
Mountaineer

Postby SpaceCaptainTheodore » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:53 pm

I have and adore the Scarp 2, having done a spell of work in the US a few years ago.

The tent has done everything asked of it, it's capacious, very weather proof (including snow and high wind, and goes up dead easily. I often have a 6'3" tent mate in and he can sit up easily with plenty of additional space for all his gubbins (he's a messy boy) alongside us. It's also the tent that has made my partner reappraise her relationship with camping.

My only niggles (and they are only niggles) are that if it's at all moist the fly often slacks off over night and will be touching the inner. No amount of fussing with the tension has helped me get past this but when I've reached out on the internet no-one else has had a similar issue. I should also note that as the solid inner is also reasonably waterproof it has never caused any ingress of water. I am also, after a couple of years, in need of replacing some of the guys - that thin dyneema compresses down over time and cannot maintain friction in the lineloks. However, this only manifested after ~60 nights' usage and, again, it hasn't caused any meaningful secondary issues and is easily remediable with some new cord and a quiet afternoon in.

At current prices for the Scarp, it's a big old wodge of cash to part with. The aforementioned tentmate bought a second-hand hubba and reckons that it does everything the Scarp does admirably (indeed, on the strength of his opinion, I'm getting the elixir - the softer hubba equivalent - to accommodate our expanded family). Certainly worth considering and, while it's nice to have the ease of outer-pitch, I've never found inner-first to be as terrible as it sometimes gets presented.
SpaceCaptainTheodore

Postby Mylo73 » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:19 pm

Was going to start a separate thread but seems a better idea to put this in here given the subject matter.

Was considering a new Scarp 1 or 2 but when looking online I came across the Trekkertents site as being active again (the last time I looked it was offline).

This seems a decent 1 person, 4 season tent for the price:

http://www.trekkertent.com/home/21-4-season

Does anyone have any personal experience of using their products. Recommend / avoid?
Mylo73
Mountaineer

Postby Iainm » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:56 pm

weelawser wrote:Folks,
Many thanks for all the advice, Vaude power lizard or Scarp 1 are now top of my list.
Scottk, thanks for the offer, I have already been lucky enough to see a Scarp in the flesh, any one know how rugged they are ? The Scarp is interesting and my finger is hovering just unsure as to how they would hold up over time ?

Cheers,

Paul

I have both of these tents and like them both.

The Scarp 1 is hands down the best tent I have ever used. It is incredibly sturdy and spacious for its weight. I've even used it with two plus kit, despite it being classed as a 1 man tent it was quite comfortable. The only downside for me is its pack size. Though, I'm happy to live with this given how highly I rate the tent and enjoy using it.

The Power Lizard is also good. Nice and light at around 1.1kg, packs down really small if you stuff the fly and pack the pole separately and has a spacious inner. I've also used this tent with two, but it wasn't as comfortable as the Scarp. The PL isn't as stable as the Scarp, but it's perfectly capable 3 season tent.

Since getting the Scarp in February, none of my other tents have been used and I'm struggling to think of a situation when I would choose one of the others over the Scarp.

SpaceCaptainTheodore wrote:
My only niggles (and they are only niggles) are that if it's at all moist the fly often slacks off over night and will be touching the inner. No amount of fussing with the tension has helped me get past this but when I've reached out on the internet no-one else has had a similar issue. I should also note that as the solid inner is also reasonably waterproof it has never caused any ingress of water. I am also, after a couple of years, in need of replacing some of the guys - that thin dyneema compresses down over time and cannot maintain friction in the lineloks. However, this only manifested after ~60 nights' usage and, again, it hasn't caused any meaningful secondary issues and is easily remediable with some new cord and a quiet afternoon in.

Probably more of an issue with Scarp 2 due to the larger area of unsupported Fly. Have you tried an additional guyline tied to the tab on the centre of the fly? Wrap it around a trekking pole/stick to lift the fly off the inner. You can just about see that I've done it in the photo below.
The supplied guylines are also known to slip through the linelocs in some situations. I changed the supplied guylines for thicker and longer cord which has helped.
ImageStob Beinn a'Chrulaiste camp by Iain Macleod, on Flickr
Iainm
Hill Bagger

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk