walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Sling for camera

Sling for camera

Postby Hillbeback » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:33 pm

I carry a DSLR with me on my walks. I find it awkward carrying it. I put it over my head but it becomes a nuisance when I'm ascending and descending. I have been contemplating buying a sling so it's secure at about waist height. I'm not sure if it be a problem when l have my rucksack on too. Has anyone got or tried a sling? Thanks for any info.
Hillbeback

Munros:67   Corbetts:6
Fionas:4   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:4   

Re: Sling for camera

Postby walkingpoles » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:42 pm

I use a sling, where the camera is next to the hip, but only in safe surroundings.

I'd never use it on a hike, where I might stumble and fall or the camera may get too close to rocks or bog.

I tried it on with a small backpack and a big mountain one with waist belt. Both work absolutely fine.
walkingpoles
Stravaiging

Munros:218   Corbetts:6
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:8

Postby Skyelines » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:56 pm

I have a Lowe Pro Toploader case and a chest harness that allows it to hang in front. It means the camera doesn't swing around and is easily accessible. It also allows a rucksack to be put on and taken off without getting tangled in camera straps.
They make a number of sizes to fit different combinations of body and lens. Not cheap but robust and protective.

The only problem is not seeing your foot placement when walking on rough ground, but then the probable best place for the camera is in the backpack.
Skyelines
Wanderer

Postby Hillbeback » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:31 pm

walkingpoles wrote:I use a sling, where the camera is next to the hip, but only in safe surroundings.

I'd never use it on a hike, where I might stumble and fall or the camera may get too close to rocks or bog.

I tried it on with a small backpack and a big mountain one with waist belt. Both work absolutely fine.

Thanks for the reply walkingpoles. I agree that in certain conditions the camera would need to be put away. I was looking at the Kaiser Action sling. Hopefully have something soon that suits my needs.
Hillbeback

Postby Hillbeback » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:34 pm

Skyelines wrote:I have a Lowe Pro Toploader case and a chest harness that allows it to hang in front. It means the camera doesn't swing around and is easily accessible. It also allows a rucksack to be put on and taken off without getting tangled in camera straps.
They make a number of sizes to fit different combinations of body and lens. Not cheap but robust and protective.

The only problem is not seeing your foot placement when walking on rough ground, but then the probable best place for the camera is in the backpack.

Skyelines l have used Lowe Pro bags previously and as you say they are a bit dearer but good quality. The toploader would be worth thinking about. Thanks for the tip.
Hillbeback

Postby walkingpoles » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:27 pm

Hillbeback wrote:I was looking at the Kaiser Action sling.

My sling is of this design. I like it a lot. The comfort gets compromised if the camera lens combo is 3kg or more, but otherwise much better than have the camera dangling around the neck.
walkingpoles
Stravaiging

Munros:218   Corbetts:6
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:8

Postby Snike » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:49 am

Have a look at the Peak Design camera straps/slings, they also have what is called a capture clip, which can be used on a backpack strap or on a belt.
Snike

Postby EBowman » Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:59 pm

Snike wrote:Have a look at the Peak Design camera straps/slings, they also have what is called a capture clip, which can be used on a backpack strap or on a belt.

I can second that. I use a clip (see Peak Design web site ) attached to the shoulders straps of my backpack. Having the weight of the camera around my neck was causing strain and discomfort. It is also possible to use the clip on a belt, but I think the backpack strap is better for me. FWIW I have nothing to do with the company that makes the clips.
EBowman
Mountaineer

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk