walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Vango Tempest Pro 300 tent - HELP!

Vango Tempest Pro 300 tent - HELP!

Postby AilsaB » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:54 am

Hi All,

I recently bought a Tempest Pro 300. I am using it for the first time just now. Unfortunately we don't have a garden so weren't able to try putting it up fully in advance. We put it up yesterday and can't see anything we've done wrong. However the middle, the section between the two arches, was sagging badly so that the fly sheet at the top is dangerously close to the inner or even touching in some places.

I was going to attach some photos of it, but the site keeps telling me they're invalid even though they're under 4MB and JPEGs. The flysheet got wet with a heavy dew overnight and as it's touching the inner at places at the top there are areas of wetness on the inner (not from condensation). The fabric is fully taut along the bottom, everything is pegged out, tension straps tightened but not overly so, guys in line with seams etc.

Does anyone know if there is something obvious we've done wrong? Is there a particular knack with these tents to avoid this happening?

Many thanks for your quick response - we have two more nights and it may rain!

Lindesay

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android
AilsaB

Re: Vango Tempest Pro 300 tent - HELP!

Postby nick70 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:40 pm

Hi there

I wish I could give you some definitive help with this. I had the Vango Tempest 200 & 300 and this was a problem I often encountered. As much as the tent is excellent in other ways I was also frustrated at this. I often just thought it was me, obviously not.

Some times not as bad as others. I guess all I can suggest is trial and error, also try to allow more time for you erecting tent. Some days at end of long days walking I wasn't as mentally attuned in putting tent up. Other times without noticing that I had done anything differently it didn't appear as bad.

As I said with a bit of trial and error hopefully you find something that works for you, or alternatively some other members can provide more assistance. Sorry I couldn't help in this instance.

Nick
nick70

Postby Mylo73 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:55 am

Have a look on the main website or youtube for pitching instructions, see if there's anything different you could have done.
Mylo73
Mountaineer

Postby AilsaB » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:22 pm

Nick - thanks for your reply. It's helpful to know that it's not just us either! However it makes me think it's definitely worth trying to return it (no idea how that'll go). We tried various different things this weekend and none seemed to make much difference sadly.

Mylo73 - thanks for your reply. We followed the instructions provided and have previously looked on YouTube, but we'll probably look again when we're home just in case.
AilsaB

Postby Skyelines » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:36 pm

The fly sheet material is effectively impermeable to rain so any moisture on the inside whether the inner and outer are touching or not is down to condensation.
Skyelines
Wanderer

Postby nick70 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:16 pm

Skyelines wrote:The fly sheet material is effectively impermeable to rain so any moisture on the inside whether the inner and outer are touching or not is down to condensation.

Not sure I would altogether agree with your comment Skyelines. The OP has already stated it is not down to condensation.

My own issues with this particular tent were the same. If erected in a decent manner then the tent was excellent. However more often than not, and for reasons beyond me, I often found the tent erected with flysheet touching or close to inner (sagging in middle almost if you will). When this happened and there had been a element of rain or precipitation then it did indeed soak through.

I used this tent primarily last year whilst walking WHW and as I said, after a long days walking I wasn't mentally atuned to erecting tent. However on other occasions (when I don't appear to have done anything different) it would be fine.

I often put this down to myself. It is also a great shame because otherwise the tent is excellent, very spacious, not overly heavy, and when erected in a decent manner more than capable in adverse weather conditions.

I, however, like the OP found this to be too hit and miss, so eventually went for upgrade.
nick70

Postby MichaelUK » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:34 pm

I have the Tempest Pro 200. I start by making sure all the strap tensioners are loose, inside ones too. Insert the poles then peg out the back, not the poles just yet. Move to the front and pull out any slack and peg out. Now the poles, again I start at the back and peg them out. Back to the front, stretch everything out again, if neccessary repeg the the front bottom, then peg the poles. Check all your guy line tensions, if all well use the webbing tensioners as needed. You can also use the inner tensioners if required. When looking at the tent side on make sure the guy lines are staked out so they are pulling the poles back to there respective ends of the tent.
Ive never had the problem of a saggy middle, yet! I take a little more time pitching to get it right, so its worth it. Ill try to upload a pic
MichaelUK
Scrambler

Postby MichaelUK » Mon Sep 03, 2018 6:55 pm

Not the best angle, but you can see the middle is taut. I have the trek tarp attached. Good luck
Attachments
IMG_20180727_180833490.jpg
MichaelUK
Scrambler

Postby nick70 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:13 am

MichaelUK, many thanks for reply. Hopefully OP will find that useful.

I no longer have the Tempset now, upgraded to other tents. Love the awning/tarp also, looks cracking.
nick70

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk