walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Footwear for river crossings

Footwear for river crossings

Postby nick70 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:02 pm

Hi all

I am in the early stages of planning to do CWT. Im obviously aware that there are a number of river crossings involved.

I would be interested in hearing what preferences you have for such things. I'm looking at boots with gaiters (although I don't think this will be the best) so thinking more along lines of neoprene wetsuit slippers or also maybe a pair of sandals.

Obviously looking for something that will provide decent grip on wet rock whilst crossing.

Any input or advise as always will be gratefully received.

Nick
nick70

Re: Footwear for river crossings

Postby Scottk » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:41 pm

I use hi tek zuuks which I use at round camp and for crossings. Very light but unfortunately not made anymore.
Scottk
Scrambler

Munros:31   

Postby Caberfeidh » Mon Sep 03, 2018 7:57 am

Thigh-length rubber fisherman's waders. With steel studs in the soles. They only weigh about forty pounds each.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Robinho08 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:32 am

nick70 wrote: neoprene wetsuit slippers or also maybe a pair of sandals.

I've used a pair of aqua shoes for river crossings and they work well. Take a while to dry which is the unfortunate thing.

Croc style shoes probably the best. Light and you just shake the water off afterwards and attach to your rucksack.
Robinho08
Walker

Munros:54   Corbetts:70
Fionas:9   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:1

Postby Arthurs Eat » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:14 am

I carry a pair of Keen Clearwater saddles if I think there may be a river crossing where the feet might have to get wet. Good for round the campsite/ bothy too. Great for holidays as well. You can usually pick them up for around £55. I've had mines for about four years now and will replace them with another pair unless something better appears.
Arthurs Eat
Munro compleatist

Munros:234   Corbetts:29
Fionas:14   Donalds:31
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:35
Wainwrights:32   Islands:16

Postby walkingpoles » Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:24 am

I can't say that dry feet are overrated but don't think it is worth the weight to carry something just for the river crossings.

I used regular gaiters or got my boots off and used my bothy sandals (Teva make). Walkingpoles help. There are not that many river crossings, in the grand scheme of things. And during some of them, water will be so low that you can hop over, or it will be raining so heavily that the feet are wet anyway (or, if really unlucky, you have to make a detour to cross the river, independent of your equipment).
walkingpoles
Stravaiging

Munros:218   Corbetts:6
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:8

Postby Holly » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:25 pm

I took teva sandals which doubled as camp wear for the CWT. I cant stress how good it felt to take my boots off at night and potter around in ma sandals. They also did me to cross rivers although the rivers were low I did need them. Bit of a faff changing but I wasnt in a rush!. They werent lightweight but they were seriously comfy.
Holly
Munro compleatist

Munros:240   Corbetts:5
Fionas:4   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby nick70 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:06 am

Thanks everyone for the replies. A few things for me to consider.

Caberfeidh, I like your style lol, but think I may give them a miss.

I'm probaly leaning to the Keen Clearwater sandals folks. Obviously I can also get more use from these than just for crossings and look good to change into on an evening.

Many thanks again everyone. I really do appreciate tim and effort in posting a reply :D
nick70

Postby rgallie » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:35 am

I once needed something last minute before I left, only thing I could find was the Mrs crocs :shock:

Waterproof, lightweight and if there's no room inside you pack they are covered with holes perfect for linking with a carabiner to the outside of your pack (not that you'd want anyone to see them).
rgallie
Munro compleatist

Munros:69   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:7   

Postby weaselmaster » Tue Sep 04, 2018 7:58 pm

I bought a pair of these boots. I wanted something that had good grip generally - for when i was up on the Cuillin ridge, but that would cope with wet/boggy conditions. They are very expensive (as are Arcteryx generally) but have been the most "waterproof" of all the boots I've had. They have separate Goretex liner bootees which fit into a tough plastic outer. For river crossings, you can take your feet out of the liners, wear the boots without the liners and replace them and your socks on the other side, with the advantage of having good grip (well as good as you could get on wet/slimy underwater rocks) when you are crossing.
It appears that they have been discontinued - the Bora 1 which is still available doesn't have the removable liner - but you may be able to pick up a pair cheaper depending on your size.

https://arcteryx.com/gb/en/shop/mens/bora2-mid-gtx-hiking-boot
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:216
Fionas:178   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby Giant Stoneater » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:02 pm

A few years ago 3 of us were on our way to Sourlies bothy when crossing a river my mate slipped and twisted his ankle badly while wearing leather boots.
It took us ages to reach Sourlies but the leather boots stopped his ankle from swelling and gave him some support,i just think if he had been wearing something more flimsy then we would have been stuck at the river and a worse injury and mountain rescue would have had a harder job of rescuing him.
At Sourlies he took his boot off to put his foot in cold water and there was no way that boot was going back on plus from knee to ankle was black and blue,a quick dash to Inverie,radio lifeboat and rescued.
Everything in that ankle was torn,2 years to recover,hospital said he would have been better breaking it as it would have healed quicker

To this day if I cross a river socks come off and inners removed from boots,boots go straight back on.
Giant Stoneater
Scrambler

Postby Alteknacker » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:46 pm

No-one has mentioned rubble bags. They weigh very little, and I generally take them with me if there's the possibility of a river crossing.

I've used them in rivers with a water depth up to knee-height.

I got the idea a couple of years ago from someone on the WH site, and I know that a few other folk (eg Jaxter) use the same technique.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Caberfeidh » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:17 am

Alteknacker wrote:No-one has mentioned rubble bags. They weigh very little, and I generally take them with me if there's the possibility of a river crossing. I've used them in rivers with a water depth up to knee-height. I got the idea a couple of years ago from someone on the WH site, and I know that a few other folk (eg Jaxter) use the same technique.

Rubble bags, whilst waterproof, still tend to be heavy. I find that each can hold at least 200lb of rubble, which is a bit much for most people to bother lugging up a hill. Also the pointy bits of rubble dig into my back something terrible. I'll stick with my thigh-length rubber fishermen's waders...
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Mojocat » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:20 pm

Caberfeidh wrote:
Alteknacker wrote:No-one has mentioned rubble bags. They weigh very little, and I generally take them with me if there's the possibility of a river crossing. I've used them in rivers with a water depth up to knee-height. I got the idea a couple of years ago from someone on the WH site, and I know that a few other folk (eg Jaxter) use the same technique.

Rubble bags, whilst waterproof, still tend to be heavy. I find that each can hold at least 200lb of rubble, which is a bit much for most people to bother lugging up a hill. Also the pointy bits of rubble dig into my back something terrible. I'll stick with my thigh-length rubber fishermen's waders...

The advantage of rubble sacks is that the weight stops you from being swept away by fast flowing water, well worth the inconvenience of lugging a few hundred kilos of rocks up the hills...
Mojocat
Hill Bagger

Postby bydand_loon » Sat Sep 08, 2018 10:48 pm

Used these for the last 5 or 6 years, i think they were originally meant as barefoot runners, very, very light, also very secure in fast water, you can roll them up, hang them off, or just ram them inside your bergan, they dont need drying out either.

Looks like they've changed the design a wee bit since I got them, mine came with a neoprene removable sock (which can be worn independently if desired, I don't really use them), they work ok as a camp shoe too. I wouldn't pay full price mind, i paid 20/25 quid in the sales

https://www.vivobarefoot.com/uk/mens/off-road/ultra-3-plus-mens?colour=Navy
bydand_loon
Hill Bagger

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk