walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Esbit tablets in Scotland.

Esbit tablets in Scotland.

Postby mluiesp » Sun Sep 09, 2018 5:47 pm

I'm planning to do the Gret Glen Trail someday and well I have a wee Esbit stove I'd love to carry on with me. The only problem is that the Esbit brand does not seem to be particularly popular in Scotland and I can't take them on the plane.

Do you know where to find those? Thanks
mluiesp
Hill Bagger

Islands:5

Re: Esbit tablets in Scotland.

Postby prog99 » Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:28 pm

Are these hexamine tablets? If so easily available if you aren't fussed over brands.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby Skyelines » Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:09 pm

Skyelines
Wanderer

Postby Caberfeidh » Mon Sep 10, 2018 7:26 am

A more funky option would be to purchase a small brass spirit stove, cut out the bottom of the esbit stove and use it to support the spirit stove instead. You only need to carry a small bottle of spirit (white spirit or meths) between towns. And you just burn the fuel you need, you can't put out a hexibloc and keep it for later. Not without skin grafts.

Spirit stove.jpg
Spirit stove
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Sack the Juggler » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:51 am

as others have said, the Esbit stove uses Hexamine blocks, and these are easy to get from most places.

As a youngster (about 40 years ago) I loved the hexi stoves, and still have one or two in the attic somewhere, as it was so easy to use. I eventually moved on to a spirit stove, but now I prefer my mini gas stove set up. It took me a while to move to it, but it just seems easier and quicker for about the same weight.
Sack the Juggler
Ambler

Postby mluiesp » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:13 pm

Caberfeidh wrote:A more funky option would be to purchase a small brass spirit stove, cut out the bottom of the esbit stove and use it to support the spirit stove instead. You only need to carry a small bottle of spirit (white spirit or meths) between towns. And you just burn the fuel you need, you can't put out a hexibloc and keep it for later. Not without skin grafts.

Spirit stove.jpg

Well, it's funny because I spoke to my father and he came with his 50+ years old spirit stove, a fruit of the local blacksmith by the looks :). It is rusty but surprisingly light and even though it had been in storage for longer than I've been in this world of sorrow, it works flawlessly. We used ethanol, but even so, I had my tea in no time.

Plus, it was a great family moment to see this memento from his youth work again.
mluiesp
Hill Bagger

Postby Caberfeidh » Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:19 am

mluiesp wrote:
Caberfeidh wrote:A more funky option would be to purchase a small brass spirit stove, cut out the bottom of the esbit stove and use it to support the spirit stove instead. You only need to carry a small bottle of spirit (white spirit or meths) between towns. And you just burn the fuel you need, you can't put out a hexibloc and keep it for later. Not without skin grafts.

Spirit stove.jpg

Well, it's funny because I spoke to my father and he came with his 50+ years old spirit stove, a fruit of the local blacksmith by the looks :). It is rusty but surprisingly light and even though it had been in storage for longer than I've been in this world of sorrow, it works flawlessly. We used ethanol, but even so, I had my tea in no time.

Plus, it was a great family moment to see this memento from his youth work again.

Excellent stuff. See if he's got his old billy cans too. Old~fashioned does not necessarily mean obsolete. People can get a bit too caught up in hi-tech stuff, paying a lot for a tiny stove which can boil water 20,000ft up Everest, when we don't really need all that if we're just making a cup of tea halfway up a hill in Glen Coe, in the rain while a sheep watches us in bewildered fashion. Now, if your Dad can find his old blue canvas rucksack with patches from where he's been sewn on, that'll be a museum piece! :wink:
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby mluiesp » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:56 pm

Caberfeidh wrote:
mluiesp wrote:

Spirit stove.jpg

Excellent stuff. See if he's got his old billy cans too. Old~fashioned does not necessarily mean obsolete. People can get a bit too caught up in hi-tech stuff, paying a lot for a tiny stove which can boil water 20,000ft up Everest, when we don't really need all that if we're just making a cup of tea halfway up a hill in Glen Coe, in the rain while a sheep watches us in bewildered fashion. Now, if your Dad can find his old blue canvas rucksack with patches from where he's been sewn on, that'll be a museum piece! :wink:

Oh yes, we still have our billy cans of sorts (being Spanish they are a bit different), I even used them on school outings. As for the backpack, sadly not. What they used was quite old even back then
mluiesp
Hill Bagger

Postby mluiesp » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:38 pm

IMG_20180912_183025 (1).jpg
Ye olde stove
mluiesp
Hill Bagger

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk