walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

New boots?

New boots?

Postby Outnabout » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:03 am

Looking for new boots, I'm thinking leather ones as I feel they will last longer if looked after. Two brands i'm looking at are lowa and brasher, does anyone have experience of these. I'm also open to other types that are not leather. Budget is up to £150. Thanks
Outnabout
Mountaineer

Munros:45   Corbetts:16
Fionas:18   Donalds:51
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:9   

Re: New boots?

Postby Sack the Juggler » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:19 am

I use Meindl boots, but I'm sure either of the ones you've mentioned will do the job, the key thing about boots is the fit.

I have a wide forefoot, a narrow ankle and a wide calf, so getting boots to fit is a nightmare, and usually involves some trick lacing skills, however some people have narrow feet, wide feet, average feet, etc, and different boots (even by the same manufacturer) will be made with a different shaped last, so its best to go and try them on, and keep trying them on until you find a boot that is perfect for you.

Some of the larger outdoors companies have decent boot fitters that will help you choose a boot that will fit your foot and your purpose, so try to find a few near you.

If you shout out where you are then others on here might be able to recommend some?
Sack the Juggler
Ambler

Postby Outnabout » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:51 am

Sack the Juggler wrote:I use Meindl boots, but I'm sure either of the ones you've mentioned will do the job, the key thing about boots is the fit.

I have a wide forefoot, a narrow ankle and a wide calf, so getting boots to fit is a nightmare, and usually involves some trick lacing skills, however some people have narrow feet, wide feet, average feet, etc, and different boots (even by the same manufacturer) will be made with a different shaped last, so its best to go and try them on, and keep trying them on until you find a boot that is perfect for you.

Some of the larger outdoors companies have decent boot fitters that will help you choose a boot that will fit your foot and your purpose, so try to find a few near you.

If you shout out where you are then others on here might be able to recommend some?

I'm in Ayrshire so Glasgow isn't to far out.
Outnabout
Mountaineer

Postby davekeiller » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:14 pm

I believe that Brasher were bought out a couple of years ago and their boots are now sold under the Berghaus brand.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby Alteknacker » Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:53 pm

Check out Altberg.

I gave up on all boots about 30 years ago, because I always got blisters on long walks, and only wore trainers for most of the year, and B2 boots for very heavy winter conditions.

Recently, after a lot of research, I bought a pair of Altbergs, mainly for intermediate winter conditions when I might or did need crampons, but would be doing a lot of walking on a route.

I've only worn them once on a long and very wet walk ( 30km plus), with very positive results. Bone dry feet (it poured down for most of the day) and no blisters. One of their selling points is the very large range of sizes they do.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Outnabout » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:32 am

davekeiller wrote:I believe that Brasher were bought out a couple of years ago and their boots are now sold under the Berghaus brand.

Yes this is correct and the Berghaus ones have mixed reviews. Can still get Brasher's online, not sure if quality is the same now
Last edited by Outnabout on Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Outnabout
Mountaineer

Postby Outnabout » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:34 am

Alteknacker wrote:Check out Altberg.

I gave up on all boots about 30 years ago, because I always got blisters on long walks, and only wore trainers for most of the year, and B2 boots for very heavy winter conditions.

Recently, after a lot of research, I bought a pair of Altbergs, mainly for intermediate winter conditions when I might or did need crampons, but would be doing a lot of walking on a route.

I've only worn them once on a long and very wet walk ( 30km plus), with very positive results. Bone dry feet (it poured down for most of the day) and no blisters. One of their selling points is the very large range of sizes they do.

Those altbergs look quite good at fort glance will have a closer look today at some point.
Outnabout
Mountaineer

Postby Runci21 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:55 am

altbergs are the only boots for me, you might struggle to get a new pair for £150 though. I have a pair of tethera's which I use for scambling and general hill walking in typical Scottish weather and have never let me down.
Runci21
Mountaineer

Munros:82   Corbetts:4
Donalds:7
Sub 2000:10   
Islands:6

Postby Outnabout » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:51 am

Runci21 wrote:altbergs are the only boots for me, you might struggle to get a new pair for £150 though. I have a pair of tethera's which I use for scambling and general hill walking in typical Scottish weather and have never let me down.

Suppose I could stretch the budget if needed
Outnabout
Mountaineer

Postby Sack the Juggler » Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:21 pm

Outnabout wrote:

Those altbergs look quite good at fort glance will have a closer look today at some point.
I'm in Liverpool this weekend, so might pop into one of the stockists, just to have a look at them like. :D
Sack the Juggler
Ambler

Postby Gareth Harper » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:09 pm

I find it hard to get boots that fit, narrow heel and a wide forefoot, so yeah Altberg was the answer for me. First time I've had boots that fit.
Only problem was I had to travel from the west coast to the east coast for a dealer that stocked what I needed. But it was worth it.

Check the following link for stockists and what they stock.

https://www.altberg.co.uk/stockists/

They do great motorocycle boots too, off the shelf, or in my case to order for a wide forefoot. Brilliant.
Gareth Harper

Munros:204   Corbetts:82
Fionas:26   Donalds:50
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Outnabout » Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:48 pm

Sack the Juggler wrote:
Outnabout wrote:

I'm in Liverpool this weekend, so might pop into one of the stockists, just to have a look at them like. :D

If you do, can you post up what you think?
Outnabout
Mountaineer

Postby Outnabout » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:14 am

Outnabout
Mountaineer

Postby RocksRock » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:46 am

@Sack the Juggler

If you can get there, Whalley Warm and Dry, over Blackburn way, are an Altberg premier retailer (IIRC open Sunday closed Monday is the picture, but check) and their boot fitting advice is excellent - have a look at https://www.whalleyoutdoor.co.uk/ and they have a footwear event on now :D , though they don't stock the complete range of Altberg boots, and walking and trail shoes. For that try the factory shop in Richmond, N Yorks
RocksRock

Munros:4   Corbetts:7
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:26   Islands:8

Postby davekeiller » Sat Sep 22, 2018 12:17 pm

I've never used Bestard boots (never heard of them, presumably they don't have many stockists in the UK), but a quick google suggests that the pair on sportpursuit are a B2 or B3 rated high mountain boot. As such they are overkill for UK summer conditions, and you'd probably find them too warm outside winter. You may also find the rigid sole uncomfortable unless you do a lot of scrambling.
They're probably good boots but probably not really suitable for what you want.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk