walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

waterproof trousers

waterproof trousers

Postby mikebeattie1 » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:53 pm

hi all
any advice on water proof trousers i have berghaus over trousers that i payed about £100 for and although the are fine while walking on flat ground as soon as i start to climb they are for ever slipping down and restrict movement of the legs ive tried braces no use ive pulled the draw string in as tight was it will go but a few feet of climbing they slip any advice
mikebeattie1
Mountaineer

Munros:168   Corbetts:52
Fionas:52   
Sub 2000:14   

Re: waterproof trousers

Postby weaselmaster » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:05 am

Paramo Cascada II have been - for me - the perfect solution. Not overtrousers, you just wear them in all conditions and they keep you dry. And warm - which limits their use in the summery part of the year, but from now until May I'd say they were perfect.
Go Outdoors were doing them for £110
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:217
Fionas:196   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby mikebeattie1 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:21 am

thanks i,ll take a look but i was more looking for a fix for mine
mikebeattie1
Mountaineer

Postby walkingpoles » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:52 am

I don't believe in waterproof trousers anymore (Breathability and faff. It's only water anyway). I now use trowsers that dry quickly and are comfy to wear if wet in combination with gaiters. I'll bring dry trousers along if staying in a bothy, hut or tent.
walkingpoles
Stravaiging

Munros:218   Corbetts:6
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:8

Postby rockhopper » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:45 pm

I use Berghaus Deluge overtrousers in size small which are still quite big for me. I find that tucking in my fleece (under waterproof jacket), pulling them right up so that the top is round my stomach and above hips then cinching the elastic tight keeps them up although there is the odd occasion I need to stop and pull them up but not too often. Maybe a couple of large safety pins on either side attached to your fleece/top could help hold them up ? - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Ben Nachie » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:49 pm

I agree with walkingpoles. Waste of time & money.
Ben Nachie
Munro compleatist

Postby weaselmaster » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:32 pm

walkingpoles wrote:I don't believe in waterproof trousers anymore (Breathability and faff. It's only water anyway). I now use trowsers that dry quickly and are comfy to wear if wet in combination with gaiters. I'll bring dry trousers along if staying in a bothy, hut or tent.

One problem with not using waterproof trousers in heavy rain is that water then runs down your legs and into your boots, causing localised flooding. Gaiters won’t stop that. I used to use Rab Vaporise trousers in the winter, which were good in light to moderate rain without an over-trouser and kept you fairly warm despite significant wind chill, but I now prefer the Paramo.
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:217
Fionas:196   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Postby TheFox » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:59 pm

walkingpoles wrote:I don't believe in waterproof trousers anymore (Breathability and faff. It's only water anyway). I now use trowsers that dry quickly and are comfy to wear if wet in combination with gaiters. I'll bring dry trousers along if staying in a bothy, hut or tent.

Maybe okay in summer, but walking around with wet trousers in strong wind and cold weather is a recipe for hypothermia.

I use Berghaus Deluge - cost me £35 or so, fit perfectly, very sturdy. Maybe not the most amazing breathability, but have zippers and a row of buttons over the zippers, so in light rain one can open the zippers and close the buttons for better ventilation.
TheFox
Munro compleatist

Munros:13   

Postby Ben Nachie » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:12 pm

TheFox wrote:
Maybe okay in summer, but walking around with wet trousers in strong wind and cold weather is a recipe for hypothermia.

That depends on the trousers. For colder weather I have Buffalo trousers. My problem just now is finding the right trousers for warmer weather. My old ones wore out.
Ben Nachie
Munro compleatist

Postby Caberfeidh » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:20 pm

Ben Nachie wrote:. My problem just now is finding the right trousers for warmer weather. My old ones wore out.

Go outdoors had good ones for much cheapness, less than twenty quid. Zippy-off legs and everything.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Ben Nachie » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:59 pm

Caberfeidh wrote:
Ben Nachie wrote:. My problem just now is finding the right trousers for warmer weather. My old ones wore out.

Go outdoors had good ones for much cheapness, less than twenty quid. Zippy-off legs and everything.

Ah, now, I don't like zippy off legs. The concept is good, but I don't like the zippy bits rubbing my thighs.

I used to have a pair of snowboarding styled trousers from Markies. They weren't real snowboarding trousers I don't think, but they breathed, had a water repellent finish, were lined, and were comfy and warm enough when wet in the warmer months.

A bit baggy, but at least they went over my boots. Never needed waterproofs with them.
Ben Nachie
Munro compleatist

Postby WesterRossWanderer » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:49 pm

It is true to say that there is no such thing as a waterproof trouser unless you wear a neoprene drysuit. As a scallop diver I did for a number of years. As a red stag stalker on a Ross shire estate for three weeks every October for 25 years I both viewed and tried a varied quantity of waterproofs - some better than others. Some absolutely hopeless but ohh so traditional!
Now that I am old and grumpy and spend only quality time on mountains walking and skiing I favour Rohan Dry Requisite trousers. Why?
I put them on in the morning and go - not looking like some out of place Munro "bragger" whilst walking in Inverness or Dingwall but when it rains/sleets/snows once away to the hill I just continue to walk, dry legged. Not too hot, never cold and never any more than slightly damp. After 30 minuets of fair weather things are back to normal.
It is a big leap for many of us to pay £100 for a pair of trousers, we used to pay less for a ski season ticket! But until you make that leap of faith then you will never know. For me it has been a late education in the technology of good clothing. I realise that you can never satisfy all the people all the time but there are enough suppliers to at least narrow down the chance of failure.
WesterRossWanderer
Munro compleatist

Postby Sack the Juggler » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:53 am

WesterRossWanderer wrote:It is true to say that there is no such thing as a waterproof trouser unless you wear a neoprene drysuit. As a scallop diver I did for a number of years. As a red stag stalker on a Ross shire estate for three weeks every October for 25 years I both viewed and tried a varied quantity of waterproofs - some better than others. Some absolutely hopeless but ohh so traditional!
Now that I am old and grumpy and spend only quality time on mountains walking and skiing I favour Rohan Dry Requisite trousers. Why?
I put them on in the morning and go - not looking like some out of place Munro "bragger" whilst walking in Inverness or Dingwall but when it rains/sleets/snows once away to the hill I just continue to walk, dry legged. Not too hot, never cold and never any more than slightly damp. After 30 minuets of fair weather things are back to normal.
It is a big leap for many of us to pay £100 for a pair of trousers, we used to pay less for a ski season ticket! But until you make that leap of faith then you will never know. For me it has been a late education in the technology of good clothing. I realise that you can never satisfy all the people all the time but there are enough suppliers to at least narrow down the chance of failure.

are they not too hot when walking up hill or can you vent them?
Sack the Juggler
Ambler

Postby mikebeattie1 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:38 pm

rockhopper wrote:I use Berghaus Deluge overtrousers in size small which are still quite big for me. I find that tucking in my fleece (under waterproof jacket), pulling them right up so that the top is round my stomach and above hips then cinching the elastic tight keeps them up although there is the odd occasion I need to stop and pull them up but not too often. Maybe a couple of large safety pins on either side attached to your fleece/top could help hold them up ? - cheers :)

not bad idea may look at this
mikebeattie1
Mountaineer

Postby mikebeattie1 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:44 pm

ive already spent £100 on over trousers that i was told were the bees knees and in all fairness they do keep me dry its just the bloody slipping doon aroond yer erse that annoys me every 50ft of climbing .. as you say each to there own wish there was a try before you buy but then again im not ready to buy again just need a solution to keep them up :lol:
mikebeattie1
Mountaineer

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk