walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Searching for New Boots

Re: Searching for New Boots

Postby TomBear27 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 9:39 pm

Just thought I'd give an update so far...

I took a visit to the Altberg shop in Richmond where I have made an appointment for a boot fitting. I had explained to the person who had taken my phone call about the problems I had been experiencing, and in particular with the Nordkapps. My first impressions of the customer service at Altberg was somewhat 'hostile'. The staff member in the shop told me that I should have gone back to the retailer I purchased the boots from, as I was not an Altberg customer. They did however take some measurements of my feet, and then got me to try a pair of G-Fit boots, the Keld.

These boots felt comfortable, and I thought they offered some relief from the 'little toe issue' I have been experiencing. The staff member once again confirmed that I have relatively narrow feet. Having established that a G-Fit last might be ideal for me, I headed back to the retailer I purchased from and made an exchange for the Kisdon boots - the same style as the Nordkapp but in a G-Fit.

Unfortunately, my usual issue has reappeared. At this point I am baffled - the Kisdon boots provide amble room in the toe box. The only observation I have made is that the G-Fit appears to be quite 'round' in shape, and my feet don't seem to have that much of a curve to them. I'm no expect when it comes to feet - so this could be entirely normal...

Anyhow, I'm going to head back to the retailer tomorrow and ask to start the fitting process from scratch, taking my foot measurements and trying a range of boots. Having never had an issue with footwear previously, this whole situation has got me completely confused.
TomBear27
Mountaineer

Postby davekeiller » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:56 am

One possibility is that the boots might be slightly too wide and your feet are moving around inside the boot causing you to bash your toes. If that's the case, then insoles might help to stabilise your foot. Lacing can also make a difference to the comfort of a pair of boots, as could a pair of slightly thinner or thicker socks.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby Gareth Harper » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:11 pm

I'm confused too. You say that they told you you have narrow feet, but then they fitted you with a G-fit boot.

G-fit is described as - "Width: GFit - extra wide forefoot & medium heel fitting"

What boots did you use before? Are you using a proper walking sock?

Boots do feel different once they are broken in. As Dave says lacing, socks and insoles can all influence your boot.
Gareth Harper

Munros:204   Corbetts:83
Fionas:26   Donalds:50
Sub 2000:6   

Postby TomBear27 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:47 pm

So, I made a visit back to the Retailer yesterday...

The guys in the store were very helpful, I had my feet measured again, and then they looked at my 'current' boots. They confirmed that they were not the right fit for me, as they left me with too much width and overall volume.

I'm now back with the Nordkapps. Of the boots I've tried, they are the most comfortable and I'm not experiencing 'pain' in areas I have with other boots. I'm going to stick with them for a while, and see how I get on. The shop I purchased from has a 90 day returns period so I don't need to rush the process at all.
TomBear27
Mountaineer

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk