walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Crampons that aren't Crampons

Crampons that aren't Crampons

Postby jane91 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:55 am

I have real trouble coming down hills, If there quite steep or uneven i go into full on panic mode, Close to me in the Peak District there is a decent/assent up to Winn Hill from the Yorkshire Bridge, Going up i am pretty much ok but coming down i literally have a panic attack that I'm going to slip and fall.

Do they do anything that i can attach to my boot that would give me a better grip or even dig in to come down hills?

I have tried to go quickly and it doesnt help, i've tried slowly and that doesnt help, i try to just flow down as my other half says and i always end up in a panic

Anyone help??
jane91
Munro compleatist

Munros:9   

Re: Crampons that aren't Crampons

Postby jmarkb » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:05 am

What are you wearing on your feet? A sturdy pair of boots with a good grip might help, but I think that a set of walking poles would be much more use than trying to attach anything to your feet.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby jane91 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:09 am

I've got Scarpa Boots with Vibram Sole but in all fairness they say they stick to anything and i find them quite slippy, i do have walking poles but my other half hates them and says i need to do it without relying on something that could potentially break
jane91
Munro compleatist

Munros:9   

Postby Caberfeidh » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:42 am

Try zig-zagging more than the path does.Do you use a stick to lean on? Or shuffle down on your butt. Mountaineers glorify this by calling it "glissading".
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby jmarkb » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:44 am

Stick to your guns about the poles - there's nothing wrong with using them and they don't break easily in normal use. You may be able to improve your technique: unfortunately if you start to panic your muscles will tense up which just makes things worse. Focus on keeping your knees soft and slightly bent, taking lots of small steps, turning sideways on when it gets really steep, and keeping your weight well forward over your feet (poles help with this). When your feet do slip (and they always will sometimes) you need to learn to relax and go with it so that you stay upright, rather than fighting against it which usually results in you legs going away from under you. This is not intuitive and takes some practice. Learning to run downhill may be helpful - it will help with these techniques and give you confidence, but go and do it somewhere safe like a grassy bank in a park.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Sack the Juggler » Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:18 pm

I'd agree with most of what has been said above. I use poles and they really help both going up and down the hills.

Having said that, if you are desperate, you could try Kahtoola Microspikes?

They are for snow and ice really and they slip on easily enough, however they are only kept on by an elastic tang, so they can work their way around your foot a bit if you are walking across the slope. There are various chinese copies that have a velcro strap across the bridge of the foot to stop this from happening.

As I've said, you really need to either trust your boots or your poles. Your other half doesn't get the panic attacks so its irrelevant what he hates, it you that is using them. Tell him to stop being so controlling.
Sack the Juggler
Ambler

Postby Caberfeidh » Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:38 pm

Sack the Juggler wrote:you could try Kahtoola Microspikes?

I use these for icy paths where they are great but I would advise against trying them on steep ground, as you say they will work their way around the boot and cause more problems. A big stick to lean on works wonders. Try moving like a fox - they face diagonally to their direction of travel - sidling down hills works.

Fox fur hat#2.jpg
Move like the fox. Or just wear it...
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby davekeiller » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:59 pm

As stated above, taking a more diagonal line is likely to help, because it effectively makes the slope less steep. It might also be helpful to stand sideways on to the slope and kick the edges of your boots into the slope to give yourself a surer footing.
It might also help to do the "John Wayne" walk - feet about hip width apart with knees bent and feet turned slightly outwards.
Poles can be helpful and if you like them, then use them.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby Veryhappybunny » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:23 pm

Hi
You mention that you find your boots quite slippy - it could be worth getting boots that give better grip. They are not all the same and it really does matter. I recently got a pair of (admittedly worn) Raichle boots resoled and the difference is amazing.

If you find a stick helps then use it. I personally only like them for river crossings, and think they can take the focus away from properly balancing on your feet.
Veryhappybunny
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:159
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:90
Wainwrights:163   Islands:8

Postby davekeiller » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:28 pm

If your boots are a couple of years old or more, then the sole might be worn. Also, your boots might not fit properly and your foot could be sliding around in the boot causing you to feel unstable going downhill.
It might be worth taking your boots with you to a gear shop and seeking the advice of a trained boot fitter.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby Border Reiver » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:20 pm

Whatever you wear on your feet, make sure that when going steeply downhill, that you try to plant the whole of your foot onto the ground at the same time. It's doubling or tripling the area of contact with the ground and you're less likely to slide than if you just put your heel down first.
Border Reiver
Wanderer

Munros:202   Corbetts:7
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:62
Wainwrights:69   Islands:33

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk