walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Which gaiters?

Which gaiters?

Postby Sandman77 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:10 pm

I have climbed a few munros over the years but am now going to start taking it more seriously and fancy bagging a few over the colder and wetter months.
That brings me to me question - what gaiters should I buy? They are (like everything) available in a wide price range and from many manufacturers so can you recommend me a decent pair that wont break the bank?

Ta.
Sandman77
Munro compleatist

Munros:20   Corbetts:1

Re: Which gaiters?

Postby Sack the Juggler » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:31 pm

I use Berghaus Goretex gaiters because they are a good fit for me (they do a long version in the XL size). They are a snug fit over boot and leg so I like them.
Sack the Juggler
Ambler

Postby walkingpoles » Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:32 pm

I'd get a pair that you can operate with the gloves on or utterly cold fingers -> Velcro, no zippers. And I always try and buy them in a store to make sure that they have the proper length for my calves. I hate it when they feel like being too short.
walkingpoles
Stravaiging

Munros:218   Corbetts:6
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:8

Postby Sack the Juggler » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:26 pm

walkingpoles wrote:I'd get a pair that you can operate with the gloves on or utterly cold fingers -> Velcro, no zippers. And I always try and buy them in a store to make sure that they have the proper length for my calves. I hate it when they feel like being too short.

Good point, I should have pointed out that both of these were a factor in me choosing the berghaus GTX gaiters.

I guess another thing to point out is that if you are using crampons you will puncture your gaiters at some point (mine are a patchwork of black duct tape now), but its better to puncture your gaiters than your trews!
Sack the Juggler
Ambler

Postby Sandman77 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:47 pm

Thanks for the advice. I will try to find a shop with a few available to try on.
Are they sized for shoe size as well as leg size?
Sandman77
Munro compleatist

Munros:20   Corbetts:1

Postby Sack the Juggler » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:28 pm

Sandman77 wrote:Thanks for the advice. I will try to find a shop with a few available to try on.
Are they sized for shoe size as well as leg size?
they tend to be s/m or l/xl best get one that fits your calf well and covers your boot snuggly. Its not going to keep everything out, but (in my view) the snugger it is the more it keeps out.
Sack the Juggler
Ambler

Postby spiderwebb » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:49 pm

I use to wear gaiters through the year but recently with trousers having heavy duty patches on the legs etc, no longer bother, preferring the freedom around the legs.

However, for winter I still have my Yeti gaiters, permanently on the boot (spot of superglue on the toe). The additional insulation (thinsulate in the originals), boot protection and being near enough to wearing wellies makes them my personal choice. The originals from 1982 have only had one new set of rubber rands fitted in all those years, plus some new Velcro (Lancashire Sport Repairs). They need new rubber rands again now, so I'll either get them repaired or switch to a new pair that I got hold of, which will mean some broken nails, use of a vice etc to get them fitted :lol: :lol: but so worth it. Once on they stay on but then in winter that's the norm :D
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby Sack the Juggler » Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:50 pm

spiderwebb wrote:I use to wear gaiters through the year but recently with trousers having heavy duty patches on the legs etc, no longer bother, preferring the freedom around the legs.

However, for winter I still have my Yeti gaiters, permanently on the boot (spot of superglue on the toe). The additional insulation (thinsulate in the originals), boot protection and being near enough to wearing wellies makes them my personal choice. The originals from 1982 have only had one new set of rubber rands fitted in all those years, plus some new Velcro (Lancashire Sport Repairs). They need new rubber rands again now, so I'll either get them repaired or switch to a new pair that I got hold of, which will mean some broken nails, use of a vice etc to get them fitted :lol: :lol: but so worth it. Once on they stay on but then in winter that's the norm :D

I like the idea of Yeti's be after seeing one bloke injury himself trying to get them off (sprained his back and still didn't get them off), I thought I'll stick with my gtx's - is there an easy way to get them on or off?
Sack the Juggler
Ambler

Postby Ben Nachie » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:13 pm

I use an older version of the Berghaus GTX and used to use Yetis back in the day when Scarpa Mantas had a matching rand that they slotted in to. I have a pair of Yetis on my winter boots, but I haven't worn them in years as I now prefer a fairly flexible boot, even in winter. I do miss them a little. I once tried and failed to jump across a bog/burn in Knoydart. I got wet from the knees up! (And no, I didn't fall in head first :lol: )
Ben Nachie
Munro compleatist

Postby davekeiller » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:05 pm

The point of Yeti's is that once on, they're semi-permanently attached to the boot.
As such they're designed to be a pig to get on and off so as to give a tight fit and a waterproof seal.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby Ben Nachie » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:23 pm

davekeiller wrote:The point of Yeti's is that once on, they're semi-permanently attached to the boot.
As such they're designed to be a pig to get on and off so as to give a tight fit and a waterproof seal.

True, but that really only works on a very stiff boot. Any flex at the toe will see the gaiter pop off of the toe box. It's also rather dependent on the precise shape of the boot.

The rand of the gaiter on some models also had a rubber strap which passed under the sole of these boot to help hold it on, but this strap was prone to being cut through by sharp rocks.

Yetis are great when they work as intended and you have a boot that they will stay in place on, but can be a bit frustrating in combination with the wrong boot.
Ben Nachie
Munro compleatist

Postby madprof » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:48 pm

Outdoor Research Crocodiles

Goretex, tried and tested (by me) in horrible conditions so I know they are great in snow, not entirely crampon-proof but pretty sturdy. Definitely strong enough to take rock scrapes.

Easy velcro fit, can put them on with gloves although it isn't ever a fun task. Straps under the boot are hard-wearing. Never had them go.
madprof
Mountaineer

Munros:60   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Walk wish-list

Postby spiderwebb » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:24 pm

The comments on the Yeti's are pretty much true, but to clarify. Yes they do need to be on a fairly stiff boot, mine are on Berghaus Kibos, which apart from being extremely comfortable are a B2 rated boot. As I said they are winter boots so the need to be able to take a crampon necessitated the B2 and hence the Yetis are fine.

As for the toe riding up, I have had this also, but a couple of spots of Superglue on the toe solves the problem. Again, no intention of taken them off whilst out.

As for someone spraining themselves trying to take them off, again as I've said, given its my winter wear, they don't come off, never found a need, I guess the question is why, unless you only have one pair of boots across all seasons. The Yetis mentioned with the corresponding lip on the Rand at the front were specific to a corresponding boot with a groove along the toe section. The lip helping to retain the toe of the gaiter on the boot which by their nature would be more flexible. These gaiters were also not made of the heavy duty rubber that the standard Yetis are made of, and this made them much easier to remove or put on as and when needed.

Lastly, the underneath of the gaiter has a piece that sits just in front of the heel and this can be susceptible to damage from rock etc. but its is pretty tough and in my case, my winter boot, majority of the walking is on snow/ice. I have had occasions where winter is not fully upon us and this can be a problem, but mine were bought in 1982 and are only on their second change of rubber rands which seems pretty good to me :D :D

To get them on (or off) will likely involve some broken nails and a few swear words. They are put on by first putting the toe of the boot through the front section of gaiter, don't fit the toe at the stage, leave the boot sticking out of the front hole in the gaiter. Then attend to the heel and fit the gaiter to the heel of the boot. The underneath strap may need easing forward so it is not on the heel. Finally the toe neds to pulled over the toe of the boot, this is the tough bit. In the past I have had mine in a vice whilst using all manner of blunt instruments to ease the toe over, but for me they are worth it. repeating myself, but once on that's it, they only came off to be sent away for new rands :D :D
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk