walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Dog walking tracker

Dog walking tracker

Postby Diverstu » Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:37 pm

Hi everybody,

I’ve been hill walking for quite a few years now, but with the addition to the family of Brenna, a standard Schnauzer, I realise that I’ll be back to beginner status next year!

I was wondering if anyone had any hints, tips or tricks around taking a dog out on the hills. She’s only 12 weeks just now, but training is coming along as well as can be expected. Obviously my greatest worry would be her hareing off after a, well, Hare, or something and not coming back to heel. Does any dog people out there have a gps tracker or similar which would fit onto a dog’s walking harness to help aid finding their dog? I couldn’t imagine keeping her on a leash all the way through the highlands, but I also couldn’t imagine losing her either...
Diverstu
Hill Bagger

Munros:14   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   
Islands:42

Re: Dog walking tracker

Postby Backpacker » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:30 pm

I'll be following this thread as I'll be looking for something similar in a few months
Backpacker
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:115
Fionas:38   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:57   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby KatTai » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:25 pm

I'm considering a tracker for my new boy but my other dogs have never had them my current hill-dog Moss has excellent recall and doesn't tend to chase, though when there was a lot of hare around on one walk I did keep her on the lead obviously as it was a bit overwhelming the sheer number of them. My other dog who passed away earlier this year had no interest in chasing after anything (except a ball) and she was brilliant on the hills. The technology and options in regards to trackers is changing so fast at the moment I would really wait until your dog is ready for the hills which will be nearly a year away and look to see what is around closer to the time because I have no doubt that it will have probably changed a fair bit!

I would really work hard to train a very good recall. Lots of praise, rewards, excitement you have to be the BEST thing ever. Teaching her to walk to heel/behind is also a very good thing to start doing as well. I play a game with mine which encourages them to keep an eye on what I'm doing. In a field start walking, wait until she is distracted and then turn and walk in a different direction. Again, lots of praise when she catches up. You will probably find that she will notice quicker when you change direction and not go as far as she starts keeping an eye on what you are doing. It is a case though of seeing how her behaviour develops, prey drive can be very much an instinctive thing in some dogs it can be very strong in others not so much. If she has a very strong prey drive then you may not want to let her free on the hills at all, GPS tracker or not there are a lot of risks if a dog is likely to run off and they can cover a long distance faster than we can.

Do remember that dogs should be on a lead/at heel/on the path during the bird breeding season so as not to disturb ground nesting birds and obviously when there is livestock around you will need to keep her on the lead so you will find in some places and at some times of the year she will be on the lead anyway but try not to think of it as a bad thing because it isn't :) I would recommend going for a lightweight bungee-type lead, this reduces any sudden tugs especially when having to cross burns or do a bit of scrambling. I use a walking belt so my hands are free for walking and that in itself gives a lot more freedom.
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

Postby boriselbrus » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:45 pm

My dog has a very strong chase instinct and even with lots of training can't be trusted so he's on a lead all the time. I use a long retractable lead (so we don't trip over any slack) with a bungee attachment. This is attached to me via a 2m sling which goes round my waist and over my shoulder. The lead is attached to the sling with a karabiner.

As an emergency measure (broken lead etc) he wears a Tractive Tracker which was recommended to me. It works fine most of the time, BUT in common with all similar brands it uses GPS to get a position and this is not always reliable in dense woodland - especially if the tracker slips under his neck, and it needs a 3g/4g phone signal to transmit the position so no good in any areas where there is no signal. So generally useless in more remote areas. I use it mostly to see where my partner is when she walks him so I know when to put dinner/the kettle on!
boriselbrus
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:47
Wainwrights:59   Islands:24

Postby Ghrabii » Fri May 03, 2019 5:10 pm

I noticed that this is the most recent topic on this forum, regarding the pet/dog tracker.
boriselbrus wrote: It works fine most of the time, BUT in common with all similar brands it uses GPS to get a position and this is not always reliable in dense woodland - especially if the tracker slips under his neck, and it needs a 3g/4g phone signal to transmit the position so no good in any areas where there is no signal. So generally useless in more remote areas.

Could you write how is it working for you currently? Are you still happy with the purchase?

KatTai wrote:I'm considering a tracker for my new boy but my other dogs have never had them my current hill- The technology and options in regards to trackers is changing so fast at the moment I would really wait until your dog is ready for the hills which will be nearly a year away and look to see what is around closer to the time because I have no doubt that it will have probably changed a fair bit!

Hi, did you end up buying the tracker for your dog?

I am thinking about buying one, as probably we will head in not so distant future for some of the easier and shorter hills, with my dog, he is 6 months now, so shorter ones, but still I have mixed idea about that. In the past, with my dog we would go to the forest and there was no such thing as dog tracker, so I wonder if it is really so great device in current times.
Ghrabii
Mountaineer

Munros:23   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:4   

Postby KatTai » Fri May 03, 2019 8:30 pm

KatTai wrote:I'm considering a tracker for my new boy but my other dogs have never had them my current hill- The technology and options in regards to trackers is changing so fast at the moment I would really wait until your dog is ready for the hills which will be nearly a year away and look to see what is around closer to the time because I have no doubt that it will have probably changed a fair bit!

Hi, did you end up buying the tracker for your dog?

I am thinking about buying one, as probably we will head in not so distant future for some of the easier and shorter hills, with my dog, he is 6 months now, so shorter ones, but still I have mixed idea about that. In the past, with my dog we would go to the forest and there was no such thing as dog tracker, so I wonder if it is really so great device in current times.[/quote]

No I haven't, I haven't been particularly convinced by any of them so far. One I did find interesting on further research revealed issues when it came to cancelling the subscription and that put me right off.
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

Postby Holly » Sat May 04, 2019 4:01 am

I attach a bell to my dogs collar. It alerts wildlife and should she slip her lead or something happen then at least for some distance I can hear her. I do let her off but it does depend on where I am. Wildlife, steep drops, people, many things. I also use a waistbelt to leave hands free. I have an old boy who is bombproof on the hills but I now need to assess where I go as he cannot manage some terrain now. I have not bothered with GPS for the same reason others have mentioned which is basically the fact Its not reliable (as yet). They are great company though :D
Holly
Munro compleatist

Munros:240   Corbetts:5
Fionas:4   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:2   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk