walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Down Jackets product information

Down Jackets product information

Postby Alteknacker » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:35 pm

I've been contemplating getting another down jacket, and in researching what's available, I've been amazed that a significant number of manufacturers don't give the weight of down in their jackets (eg Berghaus, Mountain Hardware, Marmot, North Face, Arcteryx, Patagonia...).

I can't work out how they think anyone is going to get a quarter way objective view of their insulating capability if this information isn't provided. The other irritating though less critical information that's usually missing is the standard to which the fill power number is given (the odd ones - like RAB for example - do; but most don't). It's odd that a manufacturer will give this information for their down sleeping bags, but not their down jackets :roll: .

It's not a trivial matter, because probably most folk put on their insulated jackets when they're stopped, so the insulating capability does matter.

Anyone else noticed this...???
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Re: Down Jackets product information

Postby Scottk » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:13 am

Yes, makes it difficult to compare like for like. Ultralight outdoors have the weight of down in their descriptions but that is only useful if you happen to be looking at one they stock.
Scottk
Scrambler

Munros:31   

Postby jacob » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:24 am

Might it have something to do with the fact that as far as I'm aware most downjackets don't hold the same CUIN in sleeves (less) and chest (more)?
Do the brands give a comfort/limit temperature, as that seems to be the way of communicating these days?
jacob

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   
Hewitts:19

Postby Sack the Juggler » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:57 am

might be because they come in so many different sizes so each fill is different, and also its difficult to compare across brands as the manufacturers have different sizing conventions, for example a patagonia large is like a marmot xl (to me at least).

They do generally give fill power, which is at least an indicator, and they usually give an indication of the overall weight of the jacket, so that will help, as will trying it on.

I don't think even PHD give total down weight, they rely on overall weight and the power fill.

I also look at whether it is stitched through or sealed, and whether the down has been sourced ethically, and whether its been treated to be hydrophobic or not.
Sack the Juggler
Ambler

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk