walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

waterproof Jackets

waterproof Jackets

Postby jassinc » Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:28 pm

Hi folks
Here's hoping you can give advice.
I'm looking at getting a new waterproof jacket. Have used Sprayway, Berghuas, Mountain Hardwear, North Face and my latest is again Sprayway but this is 3 year old and is not as waterproof as it should be.
I quite like North face gear for general use but for waterproofs I don't have any prefrences.
Any sugestions would be grateful

many thanks
Jassinc
jassinc
Munro compleatist

Munros:171   

Re: waterproof Jackets

Postby Alteknacker » Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:20 pm

There have already been a number of threads on this subject over the past few years. I suggest you check out those.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Sack the Juggler » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:09 am

jassinc wrote:Hi folks
Here's hoping you can give advice.
I'm looking at getting a new waterproof jacket. Have used Sprayway, Berghuas, Mountain Hardwear, North Face and my latest is again Sprayway but this is 3 year old and is not as waterproof as it should be.
I quite like North face gear for general use but for waterproofs I don't have any prefrences.
Any sugestions would be grateful

many thanks
Jassinc
it really comes down to what your preferences are: do you want a rugged, bomb proof jacket, that comes down to your knees, will protect you from most foul weather and nuclear blasts, and weighs about 1kg or a featherlike gossamer piece that weighs nothing, will spend most of its time in your backpack and when you do need it, will just about protect your head, torso and arms, but your nads will get soaked because its more like a crop top than a full on jacket?

Or something in between? :D
Sack the Juggler
Ambler

Postby davekeiller » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:14 pm

Check out the other threads on this topic, as this is a topic that appears quite often.
There is no one waterproof jacket that's universally acknowledged as being the best.
Some things to think through are:
price - generally, a more expensive jacket will be better, but there is a law of diminishing returns (i.e. a £200 jacket might be twice as good as a £100 jacket, but a £400 jacket is unlikely to be twice as good again). Set a budget and look in that price range.
Cut - some people like slightly longer jackets to cover the upper thighs, others prefer something shorter.
Intended use - if you're going trail running then you need something ultra lightweight and really breathable. For winter climbing, something a bit heavier might keep you warmer and be more robust. Get something that will be suitable for what you want to use it for.
pockets - it's personal preference.
hood - make sure it fits comfortably.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby jassinc » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:32 pm

cheers for all posts
jassinc
Munro compleatist

Munros:171   

Postby CharlesT » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:40 am

As others say lots of info on various threads and you do tend to get what you pay for. But if you are after a shell type jacket it's hard to beat the Mountain Equipment Lhotse. Had mine for three years and I reckon I've never owned a better jacket for lightness and weatherproof quality.
CharlesT
Mountaineer

Munros:156   Corbetts:2
Hewitts:262
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk