walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Scarpa Khumbu

Scarpa Khumbu

Postby am_bodach » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:50 pm

Looking to get new boots in the coming weeks/months and doing the usual swithering between a few pairs. Probably looking to get a 3 season boot - possibly a pair that would take crampons in a pinch. I've noticed Scarpa Khumbu on sale at Go Outdoors but can find next to nothing about them on the internet. Anyone come across them or heard anything about them?
am_bodach
Munro compleatist

Munros:234   Corbetts:17
Fionas:5   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   

Re: Scarpa Khumbu

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:05 am

I bought new boots recently - these Scarpas were among my "to try out" list.

I was looking for something mid-way between my light summer fabric boots and my big winter boots, which are a bit over the top for most UK hill walking.

So I wanted something suitable for eg a spring day in Scotland - comfortable on a typical munro-length walk, and not too heavy, but you can pop crampons on if you come across an icy patch.

I ended up with the Altberg Nordkapp, which look very similar to the Scarpa Khumbu. But after trying the Nordkapps, they fitted so well that I thought it pointless to keep on looking.

A great advantage of the Nordkapps, for me, was that it has a slightly bent sole, which makes walking along a track or road more comfortable but is still rigid enough to hold lightweight strap-on crampons if needed.

It was also very good to have a knowledgeable and experienced member of the shop staff to help me try out the various options. I tried a few, the other ones I can remember were the Meindl - I think the Bhutan but not 100% sure. They were very good, but not as comfy for me as the Nordkapps, and a slightly less rigid sole, I would be less confident about using them on a narrow icy ridge with crampons...

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk