walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Crampon straps?

Re: Crampon straps?

Postby rockhopper » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:46 am

gaffr wrote:I must be older like Caberfeidh appears to be. We both use the same crampon strap arrangement for our walking hill boots

For info, actually one of mine....Caberfeidh must have "borrowed" :wink: the photo - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Ben Nachie » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:58 pm

Another vote for the Scotch Ring
Attachments
IMAG3702-690x388.jpg
Scotch Ring
Ben Nachie
Munro compleatist

Postby Outnabout » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:46 pm

So these ones should do as they have the basket at the front.
Attachments
Screenshot_20181207-194405~2.png
Outnabout
Mountaineer

Munros:45   Corbetts:16
Fionas:18   Donalds:51
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:9   

Postby davekeiller » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:39 pm

Have you tried them on your boots to make sure they fit?
Or checked that the ratings are compatible (e.g. C2 crampons are compatible with B2 boots, but C3 crampons aren't)?
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby Outnabout » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:43 pm

davekeiller wrote:Have you tried them on your boots to make sure they fit?
Or checked that the ratings are compatible (e.g. C2 crampons are compatible with B2 boots, but C3 crampons aren't)?

No bought them yet, watching them on eBay my other ones have the clip at the heel but not the basket at the toe, which is where the problem appears to be.
Outnabout
Mountaineer

Munros:45   Corbetts:16
Fionas:18   Donalds:51
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:9   

Postby Fiona Reid » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:01 am

Outnabout wrote:So these ones should do as they have the basket at the front.

Theoretically yes, those look like C2 crampons but without trying them with your boots you can't be certain they'll fit. Chances are they will fit but all boots and crampons have a degree of asymmetry and if the boot or crampon is much more curved them the other then the fit is poor. You can end up with the spikes on the front section in particular not being centered on your forefoot.

One thing to worth saying about that pair is they don't have anti balling plates (often referred to as anti Botts). See a picture here https://rockrun.com/collections/crampons/products/grivel-g10-new-matic

Basically there are no holes in the centre of the heel and toe sections because they have anti balling plates (the yellow bits). These plates stop snow sticking to the base of the crampons and make them at lot easier to walk in.

Without the plates you may find you frequently have to stop and hit your axe off the crampons to knock snow off. This is a pain in the backside at best and potentially dangerous (if on steep snowy terrain when they ball up) at worst. The snow can build up to the extent that you end up walking on blobs of snow with no spikes in contact with ground.

Please listen to the various bits of advice you've been given and take your boots to a shop to find out what crampons fit them. The shop will show you how to fit them properly too. eBay etc is great once you know what you're buying and real bargains can be had but there's also a lot of old outdated, overpriced and in some cases downright dangerous stuff.
Fiona Reid
Mountaineer

Munros:121   Corbetts:35
Fionas:219   Donalds:86
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:44
Wainwrights:61   

Postby Caberfeidh » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:28 am

Ben Nachie wrote:Another vote for the Scotch Ring

How do you feel about Scotch Eggs?

Egg Scotch #r.jpg
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Caberfeidh » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:29 am

rockhopper wrote:
gaffr wrote:I must be older like Caberfeidh appears to be. We both use the same crampon strap arrangement for our walking hill boots

For info, actually one of mine....Caberfeidh must have "borrowed" :wink: the photo - cheers :)

I honestly haven't a clue how that happened. Is it maybe on Google images? :shock:
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby gaffr » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:56 am

Just to add a bit more to the straps topic.
HPIM6990 (482x640).jpg
Prior to the 'scotch eggs' this type of 'strap on' did the job effectively.
DSC02266 (640x360) (2).jpg
Test for a good fit with this type of crampon....if the crampon does not stay attached to the boot before the straps are done up you are perhaps kind-of wasting your time and problems out in the field with probably happen.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby davekeiller » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:02 pm

I'd be wary of buying safety critical equipment like crampons or ice axes on ebay, because you don't know its history.

The best advice is to take your boots into a bricks and mortar shop, speak to a shop assistant who knows what they are talking about and try fitting the crampons onto your boots before you buy them. It's impossible to assess fit without doing this, and it will also give you the chance to look at how the different designs of straps work. You might find that (to pick manufacturers at random) DMM are a fit fiddly and Petzl are easier to adjust.Again, you can't tell this by looking at pictures on the internet.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby Ben Nachie » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:02 pm

Caberfeidh wrote:

Egg Scotch #r.jpg

Poke a bootlace through the middle and hang from your harness. Once fully frozen they make quite a good alternative to a large hex. Thaw out in your sleeping bag overnight et voila- breakfast!
Ben Nachie
Munro compleatist

Postby Caberfeidh » Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:10 pm

Ben Nachie wrote:
Caberfeidh wrote:

Egg Scotch #r.jpg

Poke a bootlace through the middle and hang from your harness. Once fully frozen they make quite a good alternative to a large hex. Thaw out in your sleeping bag overnight et voila- breakfast!

You're a genius. One of Charlie Barley's Stornoway Black Puddings would make an excellent deadman snow anchor too... :clap:
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby rockhopper » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:14 am

Caberfeidh wrote:
rockhopper wrote:

I honestly haven't a clue how that happened. Is it maybe on Google images? :shock:

It was in answer to a previous thread on WH quite some time ago - no worries, will let you off this time :wink: :lol:

Re anti-balling plates, my salewa classics being so old don't have fittings for plates so I ended up cutting out two "plates" from the flat sides of a plastic milk bottle and attaching them with some lengths of the pull tight ratchet plastic strips and cut off the excess. Can't be removed without cutting them off but I didn't want to replace the salewas - cheers :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Ben Nachie » Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:41 pm

Caberfeidh wrote:You're a genius. One of Charlie Barley's Stornoway Black Puddings would make an excellent deadman snow anchor too... :clap:

It's the ultralightweight backpacking ethos. Everything should be multi-purpose and as light as possible.

I'm working on uses for meringue nests next.
Ben Nachie
Munro compleatist

Postby Caberfeidh » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:28 pm

Ben Nachie wrote:I'm working on uses for meringue nests next.

The old red sandstone of Orkney has the consistency of digestive biscuits so maybe jam or peanut butter would help there...
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk