walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

What gloves for painful cold fingers???

What gloves for painful cold fingers???

Postby Jon and Jen » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:18 pm

Looking for advice on gloves and hand issues. Absolutely love winter walking but my hands become extremely painful in the cold I wear a pair of neoprene gloves as a bottom layer and a pair of sealskinz on top but when gets really cold my fingers still become extremely painful. Any advice of what i could purchase to help. Perhaps a bit picky but i prefer gloves that i can have mobility in to hold things and poles.
Jon and Jen
Mountain Walker

Munros:37   Corbetts:7
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:7   

Re: What gloves for painful cold fingers???

Postby Sack the Juggler » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:11 pm

Do you have reynauds?

my wife has this and when it gets cold the blood vessels in her wrist contract and her hands go very cold and blue / white.

she found that wearing wristies, which are short fleece sleeves that cover your wrist down to the palm of your hand (with a hole for your thumb) worked brilliantly at keeping the wrist warm and keeping the blood flowing to her hand.

She wears them right next to her skin, and under her jumper/ coat and of course under her gloves.

She can still get cold in very low temperatures, but so can I with my gloves.
Sack the Juggler
Ambler

Postby Sack the Juggler » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:15 pm

Sack the Juggler
Ambler

Postby davekeiller » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:18 pm

mittens might work better than gloves. They allow heat to be "shared" between fingers, and hence keep your hands warmer.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby Mojocat » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:19 pm

Have you tried using hand warmers? Various kinds available from reusable chemical gel pouches to battery powered heated gloves, even the old style charcoal in a tin thingys, and priced from pennies to whatever you want to pay. I used to carry the gel type in my pack in winter when the kids were younger, sorted out a lot of cold wet hands after the obligatory snowball fights.
Mojocat
Hill Bagger

Postby jmarkb » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:27 pm

Gloves are always going to be a compromise between warmth and dexterity - I think you just need to invest in a pair with more insulation. I have some Sealskin gloves and they are waterproof but not very warm. Wearing two pairs doesn't work well if the outer ones are not big enough - you just end up compressing your hands which makes them cold. Thin silk or silk-like liners do help though. I often carry 3 or 4 pairs in winter and change them according to the conditions. If you do really suffer badly, consider a big pair of well insulated mitts that you can put on easily and get the warmth quickly back into your hands.
jmarkb
Mountaineer

Munros:246   Corbetts:105
Fionas:91   Donalds:32
Sub 2000:46   

Postby Ben Nachie » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:37 pm

Buffalo mitts. Nothing under them, nothing over them. Toasty hands at the cost of some dexterity. You can still use poles / axe with them though.
Ben Nachie
Munro compleatist

Postby whiteburn » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:58 pm

I use Pacerpoles with their neoprene overmitts, keep my fingers toasty even on the worse mountain days.

Pacer mitts (Medium).jpeg
whiteburn
Stravaiging

Postby Skyelines » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:09 pm

I don't rate neoprene gloves.
Neoprene is a good insulator but it doesn't hold any warmth on it's own, because it's a poor conductor and doesn't absorb heat, so if ones hands get cold while the neoprene gloves are off there is not any warmth in the glove to help warm them up when put back on.

Fleece and wool gloves will hold some heat in the air pockets in the fabric when they are off and will assist in rewarming the hands. One can keep warmth in the gloves by putting them in a pocket that is close to the body while they are off.

The combination of a layer that traps air next to the skin and a layer to prevent heat loss from of that layer is good.

Also if there is no physical problem with circulation the usual cause for cold extremities is a lack of warmth in the blood going to the core organs. If ones extremities are getting cold it indicates that heat is also being lost elsewhere. Most of us layer up the top half of our body but have less on our legs. Since our legs have a considerable surface area the opportunity for heat loss is great but we tend not to notice so readily as we notice heat loss from our upper body.

I suffer from circulatory problems in my hands and my remedy is to make sure the rest of my body loses as little heat as possible and if possible create a bit more heat than I need, hence my hands end up being radiators that help me cool down. The result is warm hands even when I have the gloves off for a while.
Skyelines
Wanderer

Postby Ben Nachie » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:32 am

Skyelines wrote:The combination of a layer that traps air next to the skin and a layer to prevent heat loss from of that layer is good.

Also if there is no physical problem with circulation the usual cause for cold extremities is a lack of warmth in the blood going to the core organs. If ones extremities are getting cold it indicates that heat is also being lost elsewhere. Most of us layer up the top half of our body but have less on our legs. Since our legs have a considerable surface area the opportunity for heat loss is great but we tend not to notice so readily as we notice heat loss from our upper body.

I suffer from circulatory problems in my hands and my remedy is to make sure the rest of my body loses as little heat as possible and if possible create a bit more heat than I need, hence my hands end up being radiators that help me cool down. The result is warm hands even when I have the gloves off for a while.

Exactly this!
Ben Nachie
Munro compleatist

Postby EileanB » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:15 pm

I get Reynauds, and have a few strategies....
2 pairs of gloves help, a liner (I have silk ones and merino ones, think merino might be better) and then a mitten. Against all advice I find sheepskin mitts to be the best, they aren't too bad even when wet.
Don't take the liner gloves off when you stop for lunch.
Those wrist warmer things help too, I wear them round the house for a lot of the winter!
EileanB
Walker

Postby Sgurr » Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:29 pm

extremities mitts

I have had mine for years now, and should probably replace them as some of the fur is getting a bit compressed, but they have been great. I carry them mostly for descents, as my hands seem to stay warm enough going uphill

https://www.nauticalia.com/clothing/womens-accessories/extremities-inferno-waterproof-mittens/?sku=92825m&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIo4ST_fif3wIV6b3tCh3znwabEAYYASABEgKvgfD_BwE

Husband has a pair of Dachstein mitts

https://www.climbers-shop.com/1377025/products/dachstein-mitts.aspx
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby madprof » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:56 pm

Jon and Jen wrote:Looking for advice on gloves and hand issues. Absolutely love winter walking but my hands become extremely painful in the cold I wear a pair of neoprene gloves as a bottom layer and a pair of sealskinz on top but when gets really cold my fingers still become extremely painful. Any advice of what i could purchase to help. Perhaps a bit picky
but i prefer gloves that i can have mobility in to hold things and poles.

You could try a pair of silk liner gloves and then a larger-than-normal pair of Simond Cascade gloves from Decathlon, which are great value. For poles you can still do fine with mitts and some really good value ones are Germany army ones on Amazon for about 13 quid. With liner gloves they are properly warm. Goretex and fur-lined too.
madprof
Mountaineer

Munros:60   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Walk wish-list

Postby Coop » Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:33 pm

madprof wrote:
Jon and Jen wrote:Looking for advice on gloves and hand issues. Absolutely love winter walking but my hands become extremely painful in the cold I wear a pair of neoprene gloves as a bottom layer and a pair of sealskinz on top but when gets really cold my fingers still become extremely painful. Any advice of what i could purchase to help. Perhaps a bit picky
but i prefer gloves that i can have mobility in to hold things and poles.

You could try a pair of silk liner gloves and then a larger-than-normal pair of Simond Cascade gloves from Decathlon, which are great value. For poles you can still do fine with mitts and some really good value ones are Germany army ones on Amazon for about 13 quid. With liner gloves they are properly warm. Goretex and fur-lined too.

Had my thin gloves on yesterday on Beinn Iaruinn.
Got a tad cold and windy on the summit. The cascades came out then and the thin ones went away.. Fantastic gloves
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:55+17
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:65   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Postby mrssanta » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:52 pm

I've always suffered from cold hands. I usually wear a pair of fingerless gloves, I have several pairs but my favourite for winter are a nice thick felted pair. I can cover them with a pair of baggy Trekmates mitts if it is really cold, and there's room inside there for a hand warmer. The disposable ones ate best, most reliable I think. Then also I can keep my fingerless gloves on for zips, buckles, brews etc.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk