walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

What gloves for painful cold fingers???

Re: What gloves for painful cold fingers???

Postby mrssanta » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:34 pm

also wool is good - and there is really no such thing as a 100% waterproof glove, if it starts out that way it won't stay that way for more than a couple of trips. wool might absorb a bit of water but it will stay warm when wet not like a lot of synthetic materials.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby spiderwebb » Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:30 pm

I suffer from Raynauds, I only realise my hands are cold when they warm up, that pain etc that you experience as if you put really cold hands under a warm tap. The problem being I'm not aware they have got cold in the first place.

I have several pairs of the gloves/mitts, the type with the mitten piece that can be pulled back if you need to use the fingers, but for the worst conditions my choice has always been a pair of the Extremities Mitts. I think mittens are better in keeping you warm and I've had them on and been cosy in -20 windchill.

As has ben said, if the gloves get wet, they can be rung out and put straight back on, or swop to another pair. The Extremities are pretty much waterproof, unless its lashing down all day, but they are perfect for winter :D
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby Jon and Jen » Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:21 pm

Thanks for all the advice guys, I eventually bought the wristies and a pair of Rab mittens for Jen and wrapped them up for christmas.

Unfortunately Jen accidentaly sent me 15 pictures of whatsap screenshots while she was trying to hide her year long affair 2 days ago and then dissapeared on the 24th. Bit of a bolt from the blue but I am at least now aware of my situation. Spoiled 3 families xmas with not a care in the world. I plan to go for a week long walk in the Cairngorms and I'm sure the wrapped gifts will make a nice wee starter for a bothy stove.

Jen, when you read this I wish all your walks from today are boggy, wet, cold, miserable and I hope your hands hurt.

Merry christmas.

Jon
Jon and Jen
Mountain Walker

Munros:37   Corbetts:7
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:7   

Postby mrssanta » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:40 pm

so sorry to hear that Jon
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Sgurr » Sat Dec 29, 2018 4:51 pm

mrssanta wrote:so sorry to hear that Jon

& me. I see you are planning to walk your way out of gloom in the Plans for 2019 thread, and hope it works. Hills are great for that.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Caberfeidh » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:10 am

Wimmin, eh? Can't live with them, they don't pee standing up...
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Jon and Jen » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:01 pm

I posted that on xmas day. A hard day indeed but in Jens defence she is not well. We both have serious mental health problems and walking has been the therapy that worked for a while. As winter came in we didn't get out enough.

In truth 2018 has been one of the best of my life. I was blessed to spend a great summer with a wonderful woman in and around the beauty of Scotland. No break up will ever tarnish that memory. I take life as it comes and 2018 had more ups than downs for me.

Caberfeidh wrote:Wimmin, eh? Can't live with them, they don't pee standing up...

Jen can. :clap: She is a woman of many talents.
Jon and Jen
Mountain Walker

Munros:37   Corbetts:7
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:7   

Postby Sack the Juggler » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:54 pm

Jon and Jen wrote:I posted that on xmas day. A hard day indeed but in Jens defence she is not well. We both have serious mental health problems and walking has been the therapy that worked for a while. As winter came in we didn't get out enough.

In truth 2018 has been one of the best of my life. I was blessed to spend a great summer with a wonderful woman in and around the beauty of Scotland. No break up will ever tarnish that memory. I take life as it comes and 2018 had more ups than downs for me.

Caberfeidh wrote:Wimmin, eh? Can't live with them, they don't pee standing up...

Jen can. :clap: She is a woman of many talents.

Great attitude Jon, and one that Alfred Tennyson probably captured best:

I hold it true, whate'er befall,
I feel it, when I sorrow most,
'Tis better to have loved and lost,
Than never to have loved at all.

I don't know Jen or yourself, and there are reasons good and bad why these things happen, but the fact that you can see both sides of it, and take the good from what you had, seems to me that you will share many other summers on the hills with someone special.
Sack the Juggler
Ambler

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk