walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

new backpacking tent advice

new backpacking tent advice

Postby jassinc » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:55 pm

hi folks in need of advice
I'm looking at doing a lot of backpacking throughout 2019 and onwards. But would like you to suggest a tent to carry and use.It would to be four season and as lite as is possible. Look forward to your recomendations
jassinc
Munro compleatist

Munros:171   

Re: new backpacking tent advice

Postby Robinho08 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:51 pm

It's always helpful to know your budget. Backpacking tents start at around £100, right up to £700+.
Robinho08
Walker

Munros:54   Corbetts:70
Fionas:9   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:1

Postby davekeiller » Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:12 pm

Also, how many people does it need to sleep? Are you going solo, or in a group of 2, 3,4?
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby Hola » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:38 pm

4 season doesn't always come light unless you buy from the US Cottage Industries.
e.g. MLD.Trailstar

Do you really want to use a 4 season tent all year?..carrying unnecessary weight...overkill!

Look on ULOG's site and read their comments.
Hola
Scrambler

Postby jassinc » Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:13 pm

cheers folks for getting back to me.
I would need a two person tent, price wise
i've got £500/£600 the cheaper better and I can buy other gear if anything is left
jassinc
Munro compleatist

Munros:171   

Postby davekeiller » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:11 pm

For that price point, I'd probably be looking at Terra Nova. It's best to try and go to a shop where you can see the tents pitched to get an idea of how much space there is and whether you prefer one design over another.
davekeiller

Postby Hola » Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:02 am

Terra Nova...just dont...worst customer service in the world. They never change!!!

So much choice out there thats better...
Hola
Scrambler

Postby davekeiller » Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:31 pm

I can't comment on their customer service because I've never had a problem. However, I've been happy with my tent and given the number that I've seen over the years, they've obviously got a reasonable reputation!
I've also used vango tents, although quite a lot of their kit is now pitched at the budget end of the market so probably won't stand up to 4 season backpacking.
davekeiller

Postby motorlaunch » Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:38 pm

Think about what you require. I initially wanted a two man tent but eventually opted for a 3 man tent from Vaude. This gave us good headroom, doors at each end so we don't have to climb over each other, and room at each end for our backpacks to be stored. Granted there is a weight penalty but we are not fast and light travellers. Also found Vaude customer service brilliant for repairing a snapped tent pole.
motorlaunch
Mountaineer

Postby Ben Nachie » Tue Jan 01, 2019 6:58 pm

Getting the right tent for you can be really tricky. My first tent was a Vango Hurricane Alpha. Great tent and I used it all year round. In retrospect I wish I'd got something lighter, like a Saunders Spacepacker.

About ten years ago I bought a Terra Nova Laser Competition 1. Great wee tent for backpacking and although it's technically a three season tent I'd happily use it all year round. It wouldn't cope well with much snow loading however.

A few years ago I set up a search on fleaBay for the Laser Comp 2 and eventually one turned up at less than half new price. It was in excellent condition but missing the stuff sack. I tried to get one from Terra Nova but they said no, they couldn't supply one, which I thought was a bit rubbish.

There are plenty of other good lightweight tents in your price range now, so you need to prioritise what you want from the tent to narrow down your selection. For me, weight was the priority, followed by season rating, then space. Your priorities may vary.

The biggest question, already asked above, is do you really want a four season tent that will stand up to a winter storm, or are you looking for something useable in winter under 'sensible' conditions?
Ben Nachie
Munro compleatist

Postby abs70 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:14 pm

I use the MSR access 2 - it's light for a two man, free standing and sturdy. The only drawback is it's pitch inner first... which could be a major drawback in very wet weather but I was willing to put up with that to save the half kilo or so of weight it saves after my Nallo 2.
If weight isn't that important, then the Nallo 2 was glorious. I spent more time in that than my own bed. I've got a Laser comp 2 but find the head room rubbish and it's a bit fiddly to put up in a howling gale.
abs70
Mountain Walker

Munros:167   
Hewitts:97
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Robinho08 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:27 pm

Take a look at the Tarptent Scarp 1 or 2. Requires importing from America, but they're great tents.
Robinho08
Walker

Munros:54   Corbetts:70
Fionas:9   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:1

Postby Ben Nachie » Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:15 pm

abs70 wrote:I've got a Laser comp 2 but find the head room rubbish and it's a bit fiddly to put up in a howling gale.

I can't really disagree with that!
Ben Nachie
Munro compleatist

Postby bydand_loon » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:08 pm

Robinho08 wrote:Take a look at the Tarptent Scarp 1 or 2. Requires importing from America, but they're great tents.

Yup, with 5/600 to play with, thats what id be looking at (I have both), they strike the right balance between price, 4 season and weight. Each one can quite easily fit one more than specified. You can actually get them from Europe now (expensive)

There's also hilleberg, they seem similar and very highly regarded although I've no 1st hand experience of them
bydand_loon
Hill Bagger

Postby weaselmaster » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:41 pm

bydand_loon wrote:
Robinho08 wrote:Take a look at the Tarptent Scarp 1 or 2. Requires importing from America, but they're great tents.

Yup, with 5/600 to play with, thats what id be looking at (I have both), they strike the right balance between price, 4 season and weight. Each one can quite easily fit one more than specified. You can actually get them from Europe now (expensive)

There's also hilleberg, they seem similar and very highly regarded although I've no 1st hand experience of them

Very happy with Hilleberg - have several of their tents and find them really well designed and easy to put up regardless of the weather. The Niak is a lightweight 2 man tent 1.8kg although not a proper 4 season. I've been most impressed with it in the last couple months use. The Nammatj 2 is a bombproof 4 season tent, great amount of room, plus vestibule, had mine out in all sorts of weather, again dead easy to pitch even on a dark stormy night. Heavier though - around 3.4kg
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:216
Fionas:183   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk