walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Waterproof boots for hiking

Waterproof boots for hiking

Postby carolinelight » Tue Jan 01, 2019 10:46 pm

Hi,

I am thinking about some Lundhags Vandra High leather/rubberised leather boots, does anyone have any experience of them in wet and boggy adventures. I was thinking wet boggy British moorland and mountains for long distance walking, E.g. West highland way, Cape Wrath Trail, Dartmoor, Exmoor, Lake District and Munro's. They are made for the Swedish mountain, moorland, snow/ice and woodland, so thinking they could be usable for wet British climate ???

I am trying to find a good pair of fairly waterproof walking hiking boots, my Scarpa R-Evo GTX get soaked and stay soaked, which is no good for long distance walking/backpacking. I do wear gaiters with them, but they still get soaked and I can't dry them out camping.

Does anyone have any experience of the Lundhags or can you anyone give advice of the best waterproof boots ?

Thanks in advance, Caroline.
carolinelight
Munro compleatist

Hewitts:65
Wainwrights:113   

Re: Waterproof boots for hiking

Postby Alteknacker » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:56 am

A very belated response.

I got some Altberg boots in summer - the first I've had for 25 years or so - and they have proved completely waterproof on the one completely wet day when I really tested them.

https://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=83044

If you check out boots threads on this site, you will find lots of other folk have had good experience with them also.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:23 pm

I'd completely recommend the Altbergs too. Three advantages I've found

- they are pretty much totally waterproof if you follow the care instructions
- the fit is excellent thanks to the number of width and sole options (buy them from somewhere good who will do a proper fitting - I went to Open Air in Cambridge)
- although not classified as a crampon boot, the ones I got (Nordkapp) easily take C1 crampons suitable for general winter walking

Tim

-
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Postby KatTai » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:29 pm

Another vote for Altbergs here too! I've had mine over 3 years now and even when I stepped in a boggy bit and my foot actually sank in over the boot only the top of my foot got soggy. They certainly keep my feet dry.
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

Postby davekeiller » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:21 pm

I googled the Lundhags boots and they look like they come up very high on the ankle. This might be a bit restrictive and uncomfortable for hillwalking. I also couldn't see a UK supplier with bricks and mortar stores - personally I never buy footwear without trying it on first, because you never know how well it will fit.

I'd try using nikwax on your current boots and see if that helps to restore the waterproofing. If that doesn't work, go into an outdoor shop and speak to a boot fitting expert, and try them on so you get a pair that fits. And +1 to Altbergs.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk