walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Recommendation: softshell or other jacket

Recommendation: softshell or other jacket

Postby Lottenils » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:12 pm

Hello.

I hope this question is okay, even though it isn't about mountains.

I'm looking for a recommendation for a jacket for my commute to work. I take my bike no matter the weather and temperature, unless the roads are covered in ice. It's 11km every way.
I'm trying to fill my wardrobe with clothes for the ever changing weather we have in Denmark. So I'm always looking at outdoor gear because of the quality (and the hopes it will last for many years, making every buy an investment), but obviously I don't need the best high-end gear for my needs.

Right now I need a jacket for 0-10 degrees, that is windproof. It doesn't need to be completely waterproof, just waterresistant. I have a fleece that can be used as a midlayer (my regular clothes is my inner layer in this case).

Will a decent softshell keep me warm enough if I include the fleece for these trips?
Lottenils

Re: Recommendation: softshell or other jacket

Postby Skyelines » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:15 pm

A decent windproof will make a big difference to the insulation value of mid layers.

I have a Paramo Fuera (Classic) windproof and it's the best bit of kit I've bought in a long time. It's very windproof and water resistant, the water resistance can be washed back in when required.

https://www.paramo-clothing.com/en-gb/explore-range/?attributes=11A41A13-5E82-45E1-A90D-23428491818F
Skyelines
Wanderer

Postby simcc » Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:17 pm

OK, so your question is not really a hill walking question, on a hill walking site.

But, I'll give you my answer.
I'm based in The Netherlands and cycle about 7km each way to work every day.
As I run hot (esp when moving), I tend to use a thin windstopper for all temps down to a few degrees. If there is quite a bit of rain forecasted, I will use my hardshell (North Face, same one I use in the hills). It has pitzips for venting.

I have a high end softshell for winter hiking, but I would be too warm in that for temperatures above zero when cycling.

So a lot depends on your own preferences. But this was my two cents.
simcc
Munro compleatist

Munros:118   Corbetts:2

Postby Lottenils » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:15 pm

Your two cents are appreciated. Thank you!

I know my question is a bit malplaced, but it seemed like this forum has something to say. Your experience gave me something to relate to. If a review on a jacket tells you about cold or warm, then it only says exactly that. Cold or warm. Which is kinda useless, imo. I need numbers to relate to my own weather and climate.
Lottenils

Postby Coop » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:24 pm

Paramo bentu
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:55+17
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:69   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

Postby davekeiller » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:31 pm

I wear a paramo ciclo jacket with a cycling jersey underneath for commuting when the temperature is below about 10C (anything above that and it's too warm). Using different jerseys allows temperature adjustment (e.g. thin jersey if it's about 8-10 degrees, thick merino one if it's below freezing).
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:25 pm

I've had my current Paramo jacket for about ten years. I use it for the hills, but also going into work in all weathers and for day walks locally.

It copes amazingly with it all. I've never too hot or too cold, and never got wet.

TIm
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Postby Sack the Juggler » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:04 pm

any windproof jacket should do. I have a really thin RAB windproof jacket that is perfect for me, but I don't remember its name :crazy: (bought it a while ago).

I have some pertex windproof jackets and they are very light, not much insulation, but they breathe better than waterproofs, and when you are building up heat you just want to lose it as fast as possible.

I have a Salomon cross country skiing jacket I sometimes wear when I'm cycling. It has a windproof front with a very breathable (not windproof) back, so the front blocks the air from cooling me down too quickly as I move through it and the back vents the heat I'm creating very quickly. I also wear it when I'm cross country skiing :D
Sack the Juggler
Ambler

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk