walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Trail shoes with decent grip

Trail shoes with decent grip

Postby 37201xoIM » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:56 pm

Nowthen!

I have a perennial problem with walking shoes and boots, namely that so many of them seem to have soles made more or less out of Teflon, in particular giving very little grip on any halfway smooth stone surfaces. This isn't just on hill-walks: even for example walking on cobbled streets or the marble-type floors you get in many places (e.g. St Pancras Eurostar platforms!) can be amazingly bad for slippage if even slightly damp. I've had this with soles of many types, including Vibram amongst others.

I have relatively small feet (size 42) for my height (and weight!), but have no idea whether that is relevant!

I've asked for advice before from retailers when buying trail-shoes for "mixed use" but really have struggled to find a good solution - or a lasting one: I had, for example, an excellent pair of Keen shoes a few years ago, but for some reason the updated model was useless, so I was in trouble when they wore out.

So does anybody have any ideas? As I say, I'm looking for shoes, not boots, and they'd be for general walking of pretty much all sorts (obviously not including scrambling and scree or the like!).

Any thoughts would be hugely appreciated - thanks in advance...
37201xoIM

Munros:11   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:120
Wainwrights:45   Islands:19

Re: Trail shoes with decent grip

Postby Sack the Juggler » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:39 pm

I bought some fell running shoes a few years ago.. for fell running, but they have great grip so I also use them for trails where I know the going will be muddy or slippy.

Inov8 are probably the best out there for fell running, loads of different types, but I've got the griproc, but they have loads of different types available so try some on.
Sack the Juggler
Ambler

Postby 37201xoIM » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:46 pm

That's not a route I'd thought about going down - interesting idea. Thanks very much!
37201xoIM

Postby hbeevers » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:04 am

Inov-8 Roclite sound ideal for this. There are different "weight" models which just increase in cushioning and raise the heel the "heavier" you go. They do shoe and a boot shape ones too with GTX at the heavy end.

I use the light roclite 295's for trail running but I also did the Yorkshire 3 peaks in them and was happy.
hbeevers
Mountaineer

Postby 37201xoIM » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:15 am

Thanks very much for the "corroborative evidence"! This sounds well worth investigating, then.

Much obliged!
37201xoIM

Postby Pastychomper » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:17 am

In a similar vein, I was looking for trail running shoes a couple of months ago and ended up buying Asics field hockey trainers. I don't play hockey, but these were far more grippy and easier to clean than the same brand's "trail shoes" ("running" or otherwise) and were cheaper to boot (sorry). They're fine to run in and I expect to use them for hill walks as I've come to prefer trainers when it's dry. Your mileage may vary, of course.
Pastychomper
Wanderer

Munros:5   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:8   
Islands:5

Postby simcc » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:29 am

Pastychomper wrote:In a similar vein, I was looking for trail running shoes a couple of months ago and ended up buying Asics field hockey trainers. I don't play hockey, but these were far more grippy and easier to clean than the same brand's "trail shoes" ("running" or otherwise) and were cheaper to boot (sorry). They're fine to run in and I expect to use them for hill walks as I've come to prefer trainers when it's dry. Your mileage may vary, of course.

From a different angle, I will also vouch for the Asics field hockey trainers.
I am an active football referee (high up the amateur chain in the Netherlands), and use the same Asics on astroturf pitches.
They are very grippy with decent soles and are very very comfortable to wear. And as I dont need to kick the ball, that doesnt make a difference either.

I could well imagine that they would work well on hills. The only thing might be that they are not really designed to keep rain out on a wet dreich Scottish day. But then, that might go for most trainers.
simcc
Munro compleatist

Munros:118   Corbetts:2

Postby bydand_loon » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:47 pm

i used Inov8 Roclite (Cant Remember the Number, think its 280 or 275 ish) for pretty much all my walking, not waterproof in the slightest but the grip and comfort (For me) is outstanding.

Late 17/early 18, I got a pair of Adidas Terrex Swift R2 shoes, and these sort of became my go to pair for last year, so comfy and a great grip on all surfaces i've used them on, They are G/tex.

I'm doing the CWT in April and this is the one thing i cant make my mind up about, what pair to wear as i really rate both of them for comfort and grip. I'm leaning towards the Inov8 as at least the water has an escape route with them, rather than sloshing around inside the G/Tex pair.
bydand_loon
Hill Bagger

Postby 37201xoIM » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:41 pm

Thanks a lot. Am not looking for something waterproof anyway, so this might well be a solution.
37201xoIM

Postby Robinho08 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:26 pm

I wear Innov8 Roclites too. Really grippy and paired with waterproof socks they're great for 3 season use.

I found this article useful too:

https://sectionhiker.com/sectionhiker-gear-guide/10-best-hiking-boots-and-trail-shoes/?fbclid=IwAR1lOBl15dP9VfjkzNg3L_6VFuFIfXAHwgjCA4JVyiILyyotJvmfSXv2sdQ
Robinho08
Walker

Munros:54   Corbetts:70
Fionas:9   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:1

Postby GillSte » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:37 pm

The Goretex Innov8 Roclites are good in shallow snow too, with waterproof socks, up to Corbett height (but take spikes in case). In normal "summer conditions", they are excellent on Munros and Corbetts. The Roclites generally are known colloquially as bog slippers, as the grip is very poor in peat or mud, but they are very good on rock, grass, frost and snow. The Mudclaws are excellent in heather, bog and mud, so are better for Grahams and Marilyns. I switch between the two depending on the type of hill. I only wear boots in deep snow or when I might need crampons and ice axe, or for very wet conditions with big river crossings.
GillSte
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:39
Sub 2000:559   Hewitts:221
Wainwrights:107   Islands:69

Postby 37201xoIM » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:04 pm

Thanks again - very useful gen!
37201xoIM

Postby Hola » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:01 pm

I’m wearing New Balance, Fresh Foam with a Vibram Sole... grippy and using in Patagonia at the moment
Have been using NB for many years. As they update or discontinue models sometimes I look elsewhere
The Climbers Shop in Ambleside sell Scott’s with real deep lugs... terrific also
Never wear boots 4 seasons
Boots were given away years ago
Wouldn’t wear them if were given to me free!!
Trail Shoes aid foot and muscle strength... boots don’t!!
Cheers
Hola
Scrambler

Postby 37201xoIM » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:21 pm

Thanks - noted!

Makes I've been disappointed by include Merrell, Scarpa and recent Keen! Strongly tempted to go down the fell-running shoes route, I must say: the Roclites sound as though they could suit my lower speeds too!
37201xoIM

Postby Hola » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:48 pm

Oh, and priority that I forgot to mention.. NEVER Goretex or they will never dry out!!
After wading rivers if you keep the trail shoes on, they soon dry out.
Hola
Scrambler

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk