walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Cheap stuff in Lidls.

Re: Cheap stuff in Lidls.

Postby rikmoncur » Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:43 am

It's not immediately obvious but to adjust the straps on the trekking poles, there's a 'button' on the handle - might be red plastic. Push in to adjust, then pull the staps together to lock it again.
rikmoncur
Mountain Walker

Munros:1   
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:97
Wainwrights:214   

Postby regedmunds » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:11 pm

I've bought three pairs of poles over the last ten years, an aluminium pair, a carbon fibre pair (they snapped in two) and a pair of Pacerpoles. My preference is the Pacerpoles.

I use an app on my Android phone called Zello (free) to have walkie-talkie conversations. The channel I use is 'UK BACKPACKING' it can be useful, as it was for me last year near Keswick. I called out over the airwaves, "anyone backpacking in the Keswick area who fancies a pint?" A bloke answered, we met up later that evening, had a talk, a meal and a couple of beers in the local Weatherspoons. We drank, ate and swapped yarns, etc and we then went our separate ways.

For route finding I use the app Wikiloc, very useful!
regedmunds

Postby Pastychomper » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:01 am

I see Lidl are at it again, this time with a 70l rucksack and a self-inflating mat. Oddly I was looking at both kinds of item on Fleabay last week - I presume this is a season-related coincidence rather than some really enthusiastic targeted marketing! :shock:

Has anyone tried either item? I've seen mixed reviews for their mats from previous years but the 30l rucksack was good for the price.
Pastychomper
Wanderer

Munros:5   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:8   
Islands:5

Postby Sack the Juggler » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:05 am

Pastychomper wrote:I see Lidl are at it again, this time with a 70l rucksack and a self-inflating mat. Oddly I was looking at both kinds of item on Fleabay last week - I presume this is a season-related coincidence rather than some really enthusiastic targeted marketing! :shock:

Has anyone tried either item? I've seen mixed reviews for their mats from previous years but the 30l rucksack was good for the price.

https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/MiddleofLidl.htm?articleId=21637 this one? it does seem quite capable, but would be good to know the weight of it.

and this one? https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/MiddleofLidl.htm?articleId=21361
Sack the Juggler
Ambler

Postby Sack the Juggler » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:07 am

and a £70 action cam, that actually has a screen on it so you can see the video (go pro please take note)

https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/MiddleofLidl.htm?articleId=21636
Sack the Juggler
Ambler

Postby WalkWithWallace » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:16 am

They've also got a lightweight backpacking sleeping mat, looked okay for the price. Think the weight was around 500g.

Sack the Juggler wrote:and a £70 action cam, that actually has a screen on it so you can see the video (go pro please take note)

https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/MiddleofLidl.htm?articleId=21636

GoPros do have screens. Unless it's one of the Hero Sessions or the old Hero 4 Black.

Wonder what the stabilisation is like on the Lidls effort though. :?
WalkWithWallace
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:192
Fionas:57   Donalds:36+0
Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:29   Islands:25
Walk wish-list

Quick review

Postby Pastychomper » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:33 am

I bought the mat, all 1.6kg of it. It's supposed to puff up to "about 5cm" thick, which it did as long as you count 4 as about 5. Denser foam mattresses can take a couple of days to recover their shape after being factory squeezed, so I've left it up with the valve open just in case.

I can't fault it for comfort, I was surprised how nice those 4cm felt for a brief test, though it kept making little crinkly noises even when I lay still. Probably just the insides settling, though I am a bit over the 110kg limit.

The rucksack seems pretty robust and weighs... less than the mat. (It was a bit big too big and floppy for the fruit & veg scale. :lol: ) The straps are held on by a large Velcro pad that's squeezed into a slot between the main compartment and the back padding, allowing for some adjustment but I wonder if it would creep upwards on a long walk. The slot might take an aftermarket stiffening board for those like me who like a frame.
Pastychomper
Wanderer

And the result:

Postby Pastychomper » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:25 am

Fwiw, after about 48 hours the mat had reached 4.5cm, measured a little way in from the edges. It was easy enough to roll up and repack.
Pastychomper
Wanderer

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk