walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Planning and Viewing of Routes on OS Maps / Garmin Etrex

Planning and Viewing of Routes on OS Maps / Garmin Etrex

Postby timmunro86 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:29 pm

Hello to one and all,

I have a Garmin Etrex 10 which I use as an additional navigational aid when walking in the mountains. For a number of years I have used the WH .gpx files as routes but I am now starting to create my own routes in the GPS part of WH website so I can be more creative with my route choice.

I believe that once upon a time it was possible to upload .gpx files to the GPS feature on WH but this is no longer available. What do other people use for viewing their routes on the computer and for the planning of new routes? Are there any really great pieces of software or online tools that can be used for route planning and viewing of recorded routes etc?

I look forward to reading your recommendations!

TRA
timmunro86
Mountain Walker

Munros:134   Corbetts:16
Fionas:8   
Sub 2000:15   
Islands:17

Re: Planning and Viewing of Routes on OS Maps / Garmin Etrex

Postby Scottk » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:05 pm

I have subscribed to OS maps this year. Use it for plotting routes, printing maps and mobile. I download the route and upload to movescount so I can upload it to my watch.
Have found it very good and will probably subscribe again. Apparently, you can sometimes buy a years subscription with Tesco club card points for £8. Don't ask me how though.
Cost me £20 for the year.
One benefit is you can get an aerial view of your route. There is also a 3D aerial fly through but I struggle with that as either my laptop or connection is too slow.
Scottk
Scrambler

Munros:31   

Postby timmunro86 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:22 pm

Scottk wrote:I have subscribed to OS maps this year. Use it for plotting routes, printing maps and mobile. I download the route and upload to movescount so I can upload it to my watch.
Have found it very good and will probably subscribe again. Apparently, you can sometimes buy a years subscription with Tesco club card points for £8. Don't ask me how though.
Cost me £20 for the year.
One benefit is you can get an aerial view of your route. There is also a 3D aerial fly through but I struggle with that as either my laptop or connection is too slow.

Thanks for your thoughts Scott. £20 seems ok for a year. I take it you can upload a gpx route onto the software? Or is it just a online tool for planning on?
timmunro86
Mountain Walker

Munros:134   Corbetts:16
Fionas:8   
Sub 2000:15   
Islands:17

Postby Scottk » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:04 pm

Yes you can upload routes. There's an option to upload on the pc version. Don't think it's available in the mobile app version. The subscription gives you access across all platforms so it automatically syncs routes onto a phone.
It also has different map views so you can see the route aerially which helps to spot paths and likely camping spots. Ther 3D fly through of your route is good for getting a feel of a route and after a played with it today seems to be working better. Think my route was too long before.
Think there is an option to try it free for a week which would give you a feel of it without committing.
Scottk
Scrambler

Munros:31   

Postby mrssanta » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:20 pm

I use mapyx quo. the software is free and you buy map tiles which are yours forever. Being a map geek, I have purchased the whole of the UK on Landranger and Explorer, they regularly do offers on this. Can spend hours playing on it.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby ScotFinn65 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:19 pm

You can use the Garmin Basecamp app without further cost. It is compatible with the eTrex and easy to use.

Working out your storage on workstation and handheld is sometimes an issue. As is differing between routes and tracks.

I find it quite easy though.
ScotFinn65
Hill Bagger

Munros:119   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:3
Walk wish-list

Postby regedmunds » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:01 pm

I considered the OS service but decided against it and decided to just use my Android phone for finding my way and planning my routes. In the end I just bought an app, Backcountry, all maps are OS and it works very well. A one off payment (£3) at the time, no idea what it is now?

When I plan my next trip I use my PC and log onto Bing Maps, full OS coverage for the whole UK for free!
regedmunds

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk