walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

I'm re-evaluating how to stay dry!

Re: I'm re-evaluating how to stay dry!

Postby davekeiller » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:07 pm

Curiously enough, Scottish regiments in the trenches of WW1 who were issued with uniform kilts were also issued with (leather?) aprons to protect against rain and mud!

I understand not liking waterproof trousers, as it can often be a choice between warm and wet or cold and wet. If it's warm enough, shorts can be quite practical as your legs will dry quickly when it stops raining. Personally, I find eVent to be the most breathable of the membranes, although I quite like paramo kit.

In cold conditions, you might want to try something like Buffalo systems pile/pertex system or Rab vapour-rise. Both are designed to wick moisture away from the body rather than being completely waterproof.
davekeiller

Munros:154   Corbetts:31
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:20   

Postby rabthecairnterrier » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:28 am

Nobody likes wearing waterproof overtrousers- let alone putting them on and off, but sometimes (mostly in winter) they are necessary. An alternative are those that are not overtrousers but can be worn all day as well as being effectively waterproof - Paramo springs to mind, but Rohan also do a reasonably effective pair. They do tend to be rather expensive (though no more than a quality pair of overtrousers) and also a bit too hot on warm days. As for waterproof skirts/kilts, well that's going to be fun on a 3000ft ridge on a wet and windy day, isn't it? Note that there is a reason why you seldom see people out on the Scottish hills with a poncho or cape and not a jacket.
The fact is, if it's raining hard enough for long enough you are going to get a bit damp whatever you wear (only not quite as wet and not quite as quickly). Put up with it or, if it bothers you that much, stay home.
rabthecairnterrier
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:180
Fionas:129   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:86   Hewitts:110
Wainwrights:56   Islands:41

Postby Ben Nachie » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:00 pm

In fairness to the OP, the walks that he says he has done seem to be long distance at generally lower levels. The garb that he describes may well work under such conditions. On the summits in winter?.. Maybe not so much.

Oh, and if there's no photos, it never happened :lol:
Ben Nachie
Munro compleatist

Postby bydand_loon » Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:33 pm

http://www.zpacks.com/accessories/cloudkilt.shtml

Kilts dont seem to bad an idea

I find waterproof breeks to be a bit of a scunner tbh, i dont fancy the paramo things either, so just make so with well waxed fjall Raven bottoms.
bydand_loon
Hill Bagger

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk