walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Pacer Poles

Pacer Poles

Postby jamiecopeland » Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:43 pm

Hi all

I noticed mention of Pacer Poles in another thread and looked them up. I find myself getting a painful knee when descending from a walk.

Do any of you have experience of these helping with knee pain specifically?

Regards

Jamie
jamiecopeland

Re: Pacer Poles

Postby regedmunds » Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:23 pm

Not sure if they might help you or not, luckiliy I've never had knee problems. The difference between Pacerpoles and the other types on sale are that, with Pacerpoles you tend to push down on the pole handles (very comfortable) whereas the others you pull down on them. For me, not comfortable.

I find the Pacerpoles very effective, on the flat and on ups and downs.
regedmunds

Postby whiteburn » Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:47 am

Any make of poles will help reduce impact on the knees, provided they are used correctly. The only difference between Pacers & ‘normal’ poles is the handles which is IMO are more ergonomically designed than most & eliminate the need for using wrist straps (wrist straps used correctly reduce the strain on the hands considerably). I normally use the BD Trail poles for most of the year as they’re a lot lighter than my alloy Pacers but I like the Pacers in winter as they are stronger & a lot less hassle to use with differing gloves; no fighting to get the hand through the wrist strap or having to adjust when wearing bulky mitts.
whiteburn
Stravaiging

Postby mmill » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:22 pm

It's worth doing some simple regular exercises to strengthen your leg muscles, which in turn puts less strain on your knees.
The one that helps me is the back against a wall with your knees at a tight angle. Doing that for a minute each day. Just that made a surprising difference for me.
Poles help, but I rarely need to use them now.
mmill
Mountain Walker

Munros:263   Corbetts:57
Fionas:11   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:30   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   Islands:18

Postby regedmunds » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:11 pm

I always take them with me, so useful for waving, pointing out directions, testing the depth of water, hanging boots on when deciding to cross deeper water in bare feet, or with flip flops on, using one of them as a 'goad' when giving a cow a nudge to move away from the stile I want to cross over and of course, having them with me in the tent for a 'just in case' incident, as I experienced in 2015 when some pigs tried to get in my tent with me. Plus of course, ideal if you use a tarp.
regedmunds

Postby clem_f » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:44 pm

I don't actually use poles, but every year there seem to be more people using two poles as they walk. I was just wondering, is this usually to aid with knee and leg pain, or are people using them to increase walking "performance"?
clem_f
Munro compleatist

Postby St Pedro » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:02 am

love my Pacer poles, never walk without them (initially had Leki poles)

brilliant for uphill and downhill, had knee ops in my 20s due to football injury (ACL)

never had any issues and feel gives you a good overall workout for shoulders/arms as well
St Pedro
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:200
Fionas:73   Donalds:89+49
Sub 2000:24   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:6   Islands:36

Postby Sack the Juggler » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:52 pm

clem_f wrote:I don't actually use poles, but every year there seem to be more people using two poles as they walk. I was just wondering, is this usually to aid with knee and leg pain, or are people using them to increase walking "performance"?
I originally got mine to help me with ascents and descents on the hill, to assist my knees, but I found that they help in other ways too. By using other muscles (other than just your legs) to assist with going up or down a hill, you can reduce the fatigue in your legs, although conversely there may be additional fatigue in your arms, but not enough to stop you walking, its just like a re-balancing of the load.

Walking across streams is easier with them too, or across most rocky environments, its like having a rail or post to hold onto (albeit that the rail / post can move). Just helps with balance more.

In terms of performance, on the flat you can also use them to increase your pace by pushing backwards with them to help propel you forwards.

My knees have improved since I bought them, and I probably don't rely on them as much nowadays, but I know that they are helpful for longer treks or climbs / descents.
Sack the Juggler
Ambler

Postby clem_f » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:50 am

Sack the Juggler wrote:
clem_f wrote:I don't actually use poles, but every year there seem to be more people using two poles as they walk. I was just wondering, is this usually to aid with knee and leg pain, or are people using them to increase walking "performance"?
I originally got mine to help me with ascents and descents on the hill, to assist my knees, but I found that they help in other ways too. By using other muscles (other than just your legs) to assist with going up or down a hill, you can reduce the fatigue in your legs, although conversely there may be additional fatigue in your arms, but not enough to stop you walking, its just like a re-balancing of the load.

Walking across streams is easier with them too, or across most rocky environments, its like having a rail or post to hold onto (albeit that the rail / post can move). Just helps with balance more.

In terms of performance, on the flat you can also use them to increase your pace by pushing backwards with them to help propel you forwards.

My knees have improved since I bought them, and I probably don't rely on them as much nowadays, but I know that they are helpful for longer treks or climbs / descents.

Thanks for that reply - very informative!
clem_f
Munro compleatist

Postby Sack the Juggler » Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:24 pm

oh, and they are also great for testing boggy areas before sinking your foot into them.
Sack the Juggler
Ambler

Postby jamiecopeland » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:17 pm

Bought a set of PacerPoles and used them for the first time this week to do six Munro’s over two days.

I have previously experienced left knee pain on each walk, but this week...zero knee pain. The only thing i’ve done differently is changed from regular poles to these.

Might just be coincidence, of course.
jamiecopeland

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk