walkhighlands

Add reviews of outdoor gear and equipment here... or simply chat about gear and ask for recommendations

Sleeping bag advice please

Re: Sleeping bag advice please

Postby Sack the Juggler » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:26 pm

Go outdoors (and a few others) have a sale on at the moment, a few good bargains to be had in sleeping bags - you might want to check the comfort temperature rating that would suit you best. For a 3 season bag (for me) about 5 degrees C is good for most nights on the hill, but I sleep hot.

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/deuter-exosphere-0-degree-sleeping-bag-p481299

https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/vango-ultralite-pro-300-sleeping-bag-p400703

https://www.webtogs.com/en-UK/Mountain-Hardwear-Lamina-Z-Spark-Reg-Sleeping-Bag/45321wmp.htm?colour=Flame

https://www.webtogs.com/en-UK/Snugpak-Softie-Technik-1-Sleeping-Bag/23191wmp.htm?colour=Prism+Violet
Sack the Juggler
Ambler

Postby Sack the Juggler » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:36 pm

of those the vango ultralite pro 300 is probably the warmest, and cheap at only £76.50

but if you want to go warmer still this is a bargain, at £66.30 but probably overkill for you. https://www.webtogs.com/en-UK/Snugpak-Softie-Technik-3-Sleeping-Bag/23193wmp.htm?colour=Snorkel+Blue
Sack the Juggler
Ambler

Postby Sack the Juggler » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:42 pm

Sack the Juggler
Ambler

Postby mrssanta » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:21 pm

And also the insulation underneath you is really important, cold comes up from the ground so a decent mat is essential for comfort and warmth.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Holly » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:36 pm

Can I add my tuppence worth and suggest you consider the mat you will use. They are advertised (or most of them are) with an R value to give an idea of how protective they are in retaining/providing insulation. Should help with staying warm.
Holly
Munro compleatist

Munros:240   Corbetts:5
Fionas:4   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby stevemac » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:43 am

Thanks again for all the help.
I have an Alpkit mat I use .I think it is the Dumo.
I think I may go for the snugpack 3 that was mentioned.At least it gives me the option of sleeping out in lower temperatures if needed.

Alpkit don't have the hulka XL bivvy in stock and none on Ebay so is there any others to go for?

Really appreciate all this help👍
stevemac
Hill Bagger

Munros:11   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:14   

Postby Alteknacker » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:42 pm

My tuppence worth...
1. I agree completely with mrssanta and Holly that the R value of the mattress is the most important thing, even more so in the case of a down sleeping bag (because the down squashes flat when you lie on it and provides very little insulation). The highest R value I'm aware you can get is 5.7 (Exped). I've used my Exped in the depths of winter, and been fine with a 3/4 season bag sleeping on icy ground in temperatures well below zero, and only wearing pyjamas.
2. If you want light and tiny, it really has to be down. And it is possible to keep it dry, if you're careful. I recently bought a new goose down bag from a Chinese supplier on the internet - 800 cuin, and 380gm non-hydrophobic down. The reason was that I wanted as light a bag as possible for multi-day trips. It weighs 720gm and packs into a minute 6 litres!!! The comfort temperature rating is 3 degrees, and the comfort limit is -2 degrees. It cost £90. When it arrived I saw that the zip baffle didn't really cover the zip effectively when the bag is in use, so I had to sew in velcro strip to ensure proper cover.
I made this product choice after extensive comparison of what was available.
I tested it on the recent WH weekend meet in Applecross, when the night temperatures were pretty close to zero, and I was perfectly warm.
By comparison:-
- my other 3/4 season down bag weighs 1.5kg, and has a packed volume of 19 litres! Comfort temp is -2, comfort limit temp is -9 degrees.
- the Vango Ultralite 300 weighs 1.35 kg, has a packed volume of 12 litres, and claims a comfort temp of -1 degrees (of which I'd be quite sceptical!!).
- the Snugpak Softie 3 weighs 900gm, claims a packed volume of 3 litres!!!!, and a comfort temp of 5 degrees. For the weight and claimed volume I would want testimony from someone who'd used it that it really is good for 5 degrees - this seems very unlikely to me. And I simply don't believe the claimed packed volume.

Finally, I have the results of my research on a spreadsheet, which I'm happy to share with you. Just send me a PM if you're interested.

On the subject of bivvy bags, I bought a Karrimor bag just before Christmas, tried it out in the garden on a very frosty night and was warm and dry. On the strength of this I plan to use it this year, late spring. It weighs a bit over 200gm, which light weight was a primary factor in choosing it. I know the Hunka is the "gold standard", but I felt that the 200gm weight of the Karrimor, if it worked, was very attractive. Hence buying and testing it.

Good luck whatever route you go, and enjoy the wild!!!

AK
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Caberfeidh » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:32 am

WalkWithWallace wrote:The one bit of advice everybody forgets is; if you're feeling a bit cold during the night it may be because you've not ate enough. Having plenty to eat is as important as your gear. :)

I concur; and hot drinks through the night help too. Sachets of dehydrated soup, or oxo cubes for beefy drinks, or sachets of hot chocolate are all good, avoid tea and coffee as they have caffeine which keeps you awake, and they make you pee, which is a chilling exercise in the night! Fill a flask before going to bed, and it will be available for hot drinks through the night. Wrap it in socks to keep it warm longer. You could use it as a hot water bottle but it might leak and scald you, and if it is giving out that much heat there is something wrong with it.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby stevemac » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:39 pm

Alteknacker wrote:My tuppence worth...
1. I agree completely with mrssanta and Holly that the R value of the mattress is the most important thing, even more so in the case of a down sleeping bag (because the down squashes flat when you lie on it and provides very little insulation). The highest R value I'm aware you can get is 5.7 (Exped). I've used my Exped in the depths of winter, and been fine with a 3/4 season bag sleeping on icy ground in temperatures well below zero, and only wearing pyjamas.
2. If you want light and tiny, it really has to be down. And it is possible to keep it dry, if you're careful. I recently bought a new goose down bag from a Chinese supplier on the internet - 800 cuin, and 380gm non-hydrophobic down. The reason was that I wanted as light a bag as possible for multi-day trips. It weighs 720gm and packs into a minute 6 litres!!! The comfort temperature rating is 3 degrees, and the comfort limit is -2 degrees. It cost £90. When it arrived I saw that the zip baffle didn't really cover the zip effectively when the bag is in use, so I had to sew in velcro strip to ensure proper cover.
I made this product choice after extensive comparison of what was available.
I tested it on the recent WH weekend meet in Applecross, when the night temperatures were pretty close to zero, and I was perfectly warm.
By comparison:-
- my other 3/4 season down bag weighs 1.5kg, and has a packed volume of 19 litres! Comfort temp is -2, comfort limit temp is -9 degrees.
- the Vango Ultralite 300 weighs 1.35 kg, has a packed volume of 12 litres, and claims a comfort temp of -1 degrees (of which I'd be quite sceptical!!).
- the Snugpak Softie 3 weighs 900gm, claims a packed volume of 3 litres!!!!, and a comfort temp of 5 degrees. For the weight and claimed volume I would want testimony from someone who'd used it that it really is good for 5 degrees - this seems very unlikely to me. And I simply don't believe the claimed packed volume.

Finally, I have the results of my research on a spreadsheet, which I'm happy to share with you. Just send me a PM if you're interested.

On the subject of bivvy bags, I bought a Karrimor bag just before Christmas, tried it out in the garden on a very frosty night and was warm and dry. On the strength of this I plan to use it this year, late spring. It weighs a bit over 200gm, which light weight was a primary factor in choosing it. I know the Hunka is the "gold standard", but I felt that the 200gm weight of the Karrimor, if it worked, was very attractive. Hence buying and testing it.

Good luck whatever route you go, and enjoy the wild!!!

AK

Again , like the others i appreciate you taking the time to pass on what you have. :clap:
what Karrimor bag did you buy?
I purchased the snugpack softie technik 3 recommended earlier in the thread.
It may be overkill for my initial plans but would rather be warm than not (although it is heavy at over 2 kg).
Taken by the idea of bivvying so appreciate what help/recommendations there are.
cheers Everyone
Steve
stevemac
Hill Bagger

Munros:11   Corbetts:2
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:14   

Postby Alteknacker » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:43 pm

stevemac wrote:
Again , like the others i appreciate you taking the time to pass on what you have. :clap:
what Karrimor bag did you buy?

Steve

I believe it was the Xlite, which I've a feeling they no longer do, though it is still available through some suppliers.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby Chamelion148 » Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:48 am

Alteknacker where did you get the bag from the Chinese supplier/do you have a name/link? Do you recommend it still? I was also considering a snugpack softie 9 hawk or 6 or a vango ultralite pro 200 or 300. We will mainly be using it in the summer hiking and are considering taking it to the highlands for one or 2 nights but really unsure what would be suitable/required. Thanks
Chamelion148

Postby Marty_JG » Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:40 pm

Summer hiking, AegisMax. They'll import from China but you can get them on Amazon, albeit with postage from China. However on that front I just bought a titanium grill from China and it took exactly 7 days to arrive from ordering, so current postage times are quite quick. Anyway:

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/s?k=AEGISMAX

The ultralight hoodless 3 season one is £70, the large is 530 grams.

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/AEGISMAX-Urltra-Light-95-Goose-Sleeping-Urltra-compactable/dp/B01CEVT922/

There's a slightly warmer one with hood at £112, the large is 780 grams.

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/AEGISMAX-Ultra-Sleeping-Backpacking-Regular/dp/B071JB5VKY
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Gear and Equipment talk